How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-05-2003, 03:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to speedracer
Tranny slip from stop

Hello all... I love this site. anywho... lately i have been my car doesn't seem to like starting from a stop. this is what happens...

The car is in drive, I take my foot off the break... and nothing. It doesn't go. If I push on the gas it will jerk almost like when you pop the clutch on a manual tran. Needless to say I don't do that. To stop it from popping so violently, and trying to be nice to my car, when starting from a stop I always apply the gas very gently and very slow...

what could this be? Is this something I could check/fix myself. I am a poor college student living off my G.I. Bill.

thank you,

justin
Old 11-05-2003, 03:14 PM
ou2mame

better take out a loan for a new tranny.....
Old 11-05-2003, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to speedracer
c'mon

there has to be something wrong with it... something i can do. please help... advise.... PLEASE!
thank you
Old 11-05-2003, 06:29 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Hate to tell you this but that was the first sign of my impending tranny failure. There's an adjustment screw that may help, but I would recomend just driving to a shop. I waited...the next week my first gear was gone

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-05-2003, 07:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
Check the fluid with the car running.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:37 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by IwantaSVX
Check the fluid with the car running.
and no matter what the level, DRAIN, don't flush the fluid, and add a full bottle of Lucas Stop Slip. Stuff works wonders. Expense for everything should be $20.

Then get back to us.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:45 PM
ou2mame

i waited... and lost 3rd and 4th gear...
Old 11-06-2003, 06:26 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
You know... for all the doom and gloom, a good first step might be to take it and get the tranny checked out at a shop... possibly flushed and filled. I remember when I had my 94 I had similar symptoms... checking the fluid I found it smelled a little "off" and was foaming mildly. Had the shop flush it and the car shifted perfectly after that. Never had another moment's tranny problem until the car was gone (not through tranny failure!!!)

Anyway... don't presume your tranny's dead... take it to a shop who can do an honest estimate of the condition of the transmission before you make any rash decisions.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:51 PM
The Croupier

I ran a used car lot back East from 87 till 1992 when i moved to Seattle & whenever i got a car ( any ol car ) that the tranny felt a little off or had wierd start or shift problems there was this stuff i used with great results called TRANS X it came in a silver oil quart can ( if you're not old enough to know what an oil quart ( CAN ) looks like ask ur dad ( not tryn to be rude just getten old )
I would use this as a SHORT term fix if you wanna try & squeeze a bit more out of it .
But the best thing would be to follow thumpers advice & have a shop look at it ( if the fluid is foamy, smells funny, or is even a little brown ( should be RED ) then get ur fluid changed IMEDIATLY.
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 11-08-2003, 02:53 PM
gcookaustin

Re: Tranny slip from stop

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

The car is in drive, I take my foot off the break... and nothing. It doesn't go. If I push on the gas it will jerk almost like when you pop the clutch on a manual tran. Needless to say I don't do that. To stop it from popping so violently, and trying to be nice to my car, when starting from a stop I always apply the gas very gently and very slow...
Mine used to do something similar, when the transmission got warmed up. Turned out to be a broken gasket inside the transmission. At lower RPMs (<1.5k) it seemed to do it, but once I got moving it was okay. Drive very carefully from a stop until you get it fixed.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I have mixed feelings about flushing. We've been over and over the topic before, but I feel the need to chime in with my 2 cents.

I definitely think that back-flushing is a no-no. Forward flushes seem, in my opinion, to be a sound idea. All they're doing is running the tranny pump and letting it draw in new fluid while it pupms out the old. That seems to be a perfectly reasonable way to do it. But how many tranny failures have we seen right after a flush was done? There could be plenty of explanations - most likely, those who had their tranny flushed (including me) were already experiencing some bad symptoms and the tranny was going to die anyway.

In my case, I had mine flushed because a blockage in the fluid passages was keeping my car from maintaining any ATF pressure at all. My tranny worked well for about a week - just long enough for me to drive to the 10th Anniversary meet and back. Literally, the next time I drove the car, the tranny quit again.

Your problem sounds like a slipping clutch. If it was due to an electronic problem, you'd see an error code (blinking power light), which leads me to suspect that the clutch is just done.

I absolutely agree with Thumper - you should take it in to a shop to see what they think. But, we've seen similar problems a few hundred times. I would definitely start saving up for a new tranny, if you haven't already.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-08-2003, 07:45 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
It sounds to me like one of the solenoids has stopped working properly. Perhaps its a sticky solenoid and as you apply throttle, the line pressure in the tranny increases, which causes the solenoid to work? Solenoids can be replaced pretty easily, so this wouldn't be a "rebuild the tranny" problem.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:02 AM

Quote:
It sounds to me like one of the solenoids has stopped working properly. Perhaps its a sticky solenoid and as you apply throttle, the line pressure in the tranny increases, which causes the solenoid to work? Solenoids can be replaced pretty easily, so this wouldn't be a "rebuild the tranny" problem.
It sounds like low ATF pressure at idle, which unfortunately cannot be due to solenoids. Solenoid A can raise the pressure above the normal idle pressure, but it cannot lower it below that.

There is a remote possibility that shift solenoids do not open/close properly, but much more likely it is an internal leak or a blockage that causes too low pressure on a clutch.

Unfortunately all this means a transmission rebuild time is close.
Try replacing ATF, maybe with flushing - there is nothing to lose.
It will not last if you leave it as it is.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:21 PM
ou2mame

well, if its a slipping clutch, they're going to have to drop it to replace it..... its the labor that kills you. basically you might as well replace all the internals since its only going to be about 300-400 more, than just replace whats broken at the time.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:34 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
It doesn't sound like a slipping clutch to me because he said the car jerks forward suddenly which would indicate there is a delay in when the clutch is released.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.