How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-23-2003, 01:43 PM
I look like Gordon

Another mini-meet

We had another car repair/get-together event out at my place yesterday (Sunday). John (SVXcess), Ron (ronmummert), Chris (SVXMAN2001) and I were in attendance. John's wife Trish dropped by for a little moral support.

We replaced Ron's brake pads and rotors, installed a new CV axle on Chris's car, and replaced his power steering o-ring, a couple PS hoses, and accessory belts. He and John developed an interesting technique for properly lining up the trunklid with the rest of the car.

All in all, it was a fun day and we managed to get a lot accomplished. Check my locker for pictures...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?rufus

-Mike
Old 06-23-2003, 06:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
I'd like to have one of those.

Interesting technique for lining up the trunk lid, huh? What is it? Mine does sit quite right.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 06-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Yup...it was Mike & the Mechanics.
Actually it was Mike the mechanic, & the three shop students.
Well, actually Chris DID do real work, & was on his back beneath his car with one hand on the axel, the other on a hammer. Thanks too, Chris, for assisting Mike with my rotors. "Righty tighty, Lefty loosie", I interjected, as Chris was trying to screw in the caliper bolt from behind, but since I bought Aussie Axxis pads, I think everything's reversed because....uh, well maybe not...uh, which way do the slots go? John kept busy stealing obscure parts from Mike's parts car, & aligning Chris' deck lid with obscure washers. I lent a professional hand by opening beers & retreiving tools, which actually got my hands greasy. Thanks too for the long distance consultation by Nubs & Aredub (remember him?), who helped us keep the sun shining.
But seriously - Mike shows us the way the SVX community benefits all of us, lending a hand, a driveway & enthusiasm in keeping our babies happy. Thanks again Mr. Rufus & please take something for that flu. I suggest Box 'o Tequila.

Ron (Sorta missing my brake shimmy, though).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
LOL

I looked at your locker and (keeping in mind a certain ebay action right now) loved the Circular Saw standing by ... Gonna cuts some raw furry vents dawg???
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-24-2003, 12:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Re: LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
I looked at your locker and (keeping in mind a certain ebay action right now) loved the Circular Saw standing by ... Gonna cuts some raw furry vents dawg???
Huh? Kick arse! That dude is selling furry dawg shaped vents now?! Yes! <makes excited "yes" arm gesture> I wasn't gonna bid before, but now I'm all over it! Laterz all yizz-all dizz-awgs! PEACE-OUT (Oops, did I spell peace correctly?)

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 06-26-2003, 07:35 AM
I look like Gordon

If you'd like, I will be happy to cut a few raw furry vents before I take the "carcass" to the junkyard. If you look closely at the green parts car, you will also notice that it already has the high speed mirror mod partially completed.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
hey rufus, how you doing. Hopefully your feeling alot better. That sound we were hearing seems to subsided, although it comes back every now and then. But every thing else is beautiful, the axle worked out very nice. Thanks alot! We need to get together soon too! In the meantime, drink lots of fluid in addition to your box o' tequila haha
Old 06-27-2003, 08:45 AM
I look like Gordon

I, being somewhat classier than Ron, prefer to avoid the boxed beverages whenever possible.

I'm actually still feeling about the same. If I don't see some improvement soon, I may actually be forced to seek some medical attention.

Glad to hear everything is working out. Do me a favor... after you run the car for a while, shut it down and pop the cap off the power steering fluid reservoir right away. Take a look in there and see if there are a bunch of little bubbles floating on the top of the fluid. It really sounds like there may still be some air entering the system from somewhere. Have you checked the hoses we replaced to see if there is any fluid collecting on the ends like there was before?

Don't worry, we'll track down the noise one way or the other.

-Mike
Old 06-29-2003, 11:05 AM

mike upon further inspection and driving i have come across a new noise/feel. When turning the wheel especially when braking, i hear a crackling. Sounds like something is too tense or along those lines. NOt sure what exactly that is, any ideas? And the p-steering noise is still existant. But it sounds like it might be coming from a bearing in the front. So again, iam not to sure what that is either
Old 06-29-2003, 07:33 PM

Ok i've been thinking. I haven't gotten an alignment, would that have any effect. It almost sounds like the calipers are so tense it's making that sort of sound. But we didn't go anything to the brakes so that rules that out. I dunno it just boggles my mind.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:10 PM

bump, any thoughts?
Old 07-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
bump, any thoughts?
Rufus put the axel on backwards! That crazy Mike! - always the practical joker. I doubt that a wheel alignment has anything to do with it, unless you hit a moose on the way home. Does the car pull left or right when you brake? Does it drift left or right on a level road? When were the pads last replaced? Cars are just a pain in the butt sometimes. Sorry, Chris.... I'm no help.

HEY MIKE!! What do you think?

Ron (passing the buck again).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:19 PM

Well no there is definately something wrong. No little pull to the left, there is a signficant creeking noise along with a huge amount of shuddering. I was on my way home tonight, and because the ride was so bad it was impossible and unsafe to drive the thing. What could we have possibly done wrong? I really could use some help