Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-11-2003, 12:07 AM

Registered SVX
You must be close to number one, if not the number one in regard to practical experience with the transmission. Were you able to diagnose the basic reason for the original failure ?
You have been there and done it and your experience is therefore invaluable. As a do it your self kind of guy, you are my kind of guy and I take my hat off to you !

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:15 AM

Thanks for the info.

It looks like I'll be the one of the next guys for the tranny rebuild excercise (but I have to admit that I've been waiting for the last 4.5 years and 60k miles and still waiting...)
Old 07-11-2003, 06:48 PM
dekidd7457

Trevor,
Thanks for the compliments. I'd be glad to help with any rebuild questions or other technical questions if I can. I had the trans torn down to a zillion parts on a bench and now it works great. It's just nuts and bolts although I do have a lot of Subaru experience (about six years as a mechanic). I'm pretty sure the original cause was the oil pump gasket. It sits between the oil pump and trans case. The symptoms were that when I put the car in drive or reverse there was a delay of about 3 seconds before actually moving. It gradually got worse and then started to slip in drive. By that time some of the clutches had burnt up. When I did a line pressure test the pressures were half of what they should be. This is caused by the leaking oil pump gasket that was later updated by Subaru to fix the problem. See website www.subarusvx/faq/transmission.html for more info. This website is pretty cool by the way. The low pressure causes the friction plates to slip and therfore burn up. Bye for now
Old 07-11-2003, 06:52 PM
dekidd7457

sorry the addresss is www.subarusvx.com/faq/transmission.html
Old 07-11-2003, 08:06 PM

Registered SVX
Again many thanks.

Would it be possible to replace the pump gasket during a transmission sevice without removing the complete unit from the car ? If this is possible surely this would be a worthwhile insurance.

I have in mind replacing solenoid "A" i.e. the line pressure regulator during next sevice as a precaution in view of the high wear factor and if the gasket can be replaced at the same time this would make a lot of sense.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-11-2003, 09:48 PM

Trevor,

No you can't replace pump gasket without taking the tranny out.

I did have duty solenoid A failure in my car. Nothing electrical, just mechanical wear - visually I could see it a bit worn, but nothing totally wrong to suggest that it could not work at all.

The symptom was tranny slippage in 4th lockup when accelerating gently enough to stay in lockup.
Line pressure test shown idle line pressure (60psi) regardless of
throttle position.

I would suggest measuring line pressure first and deciding then.
On one hand a solenoid failure will destroy clutches quickly, on the other hand it is enough $$$ to think before replacing before it broke down.

P.S. Mine has failed at around ~150k (the tranny may have been rebuilt, but not in the last 70k). The car was driven with a failed solenoid for a few weeks at least (but rather gently). Still OK at 161k.