SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2001, 11:10 AM
jmcassin

Cool Zings Dings....and those wacky shopping carts

Alright,

I've had my beloved black 92 for 4 years she's got 116,000 on her and she runs great;
The paint however needs a bit of work. Back in my college years, my fraternity brothers thought it mildly ammusing to throw snowballs at her untill she screamed (alarm). ( Those were the hood zings.)

She has also been subject to sever rude doors of other cars attempting to push her out of her parking spot at the market. (door dings)

And of course she has been under siege at many of the same market by the dreded panzer tank of stop and shop.....(.the grocer carrige)

Now, I dont need to get the car repainted, however, there are a significant amount of unsightly dings on the doors. I'm thinking about paintless dent removal? Has anyone done this, and does it come close to restoring the smooth black finish of her youth?

thanks

jim
Old 07-12-2001, 11:39 AM
Lowered SVX

i have a lot of little dings.....

on my hood from abuse over the years.....but i think i am just going to get the whole car repainted. i have no knowledge of the paintless dent removal process.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-12-2001, 11:42 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I am thinking about the same. But I have dents and some moron keyed my car too. I am seriously pissed. I have to choose the colour. I am thinking silver or blue. or yellow???

I dont like the red too much...
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-12-2001, 11:52 AM
Lowered SVX

i love the red.

but i do wish it were the brilliant and not the barcelona. i will probably choose a much brighter red when i get the car painted. i saw a mercedes yesterday with the shiniest silver paint i have ever seen. that would be a really nice color on the svx.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-12-2001, 03:36 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
I haven't done it personally.....

however paintless dent removal works awesome.

I have done computer work for a guy that owns a shop dedicated to doing just that. They do an amazing job. I was totally shocked the amount of damage they can undo will little more than a suction pump.

It's also much cheaper than most body fill removals.

I'm actually going to look into getting him to do mine, as its been hit by many a door as well.

Good luck,
Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 07-12-2001, 03:48 PM
black-svx

Well when I got mine the poor paint job was looking terrible, so first thing I did was slap a new coat of black paint on it, and at the same time, "fixed" all the minor dings that a 9 year old car picks up. $700 for everything. The paint looks fine, nothing like a 2001 OEM black, but it does look good.

As for the dings, although they are gone, there is still a slight ripple effect going on here, its like, it just doesnt look perfect you know?> My question is, do these suction contraptions make the car like it never had a ding? or is the evidence of the careless K-Mart shopper permanent?

-Raptor
Old 07-12-2001, 03:52 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Depends on the dent I guess. I have seen some that you couldn't tell ever where there. However at the same time....yes you are right sometimes the dent is still visable. This is mostly on larger ones as they do a different technique. For big ones they drill a very small hole in the center. Insert something that looks kind of a like a drywall hanger (if you know what I mean) and pull the dent from the back. This isn' the pretiest, however it does get the job done.

And no...you can't see the little hole after, but you can feel it. I also wonder how likely it is to get rust...hmmm

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 07-12-2001, 09:39 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Effort dent

When I bought my car a few years back, it had several dents. I contacted a guy in Charleston, who had a "Dent Wizard" franchise. We met at a mall parking garage and while Jean and I shopped, he removed every one, and you couldn't tell where they had been! He charged me just over 100 dollars. I've accumulated a few new ones since then; it is probably time to give him a call, because I would like to repaint the car as soon as I can afford to. Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-13-2001, 07:07 AM
Headed to Texas...

Question Original vs. new color

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
I am thinking about the same. But I have dents and some moron keyed my car too. I am seriously pissed. I have to choose the colour. I am thinking silver or blue. or yellow???

I dont like the red too much...
Lwin
Lwin, isn't there a HUGE price difference between repainting your car the original color and painting it a new color? Because if you want to do it right, you pretty much have to repaint the door sills, the underside of the hood/trunk lids, engine compartment, etc.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-13-2001, 08:54 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Color change

You got it Jerry. There is a LOT involved in changing colors. I will stay with black, but I'd LOVE to get that DuPont Chromolusion black that changes to gold as you move around the car. Saw it on a VW at the Indy Auto Show a few years back, and fell in love with it. They put a special version of Chromolusion on Jeff Gordon's car for the Winston a few years back, and the car was a different color at every corner of the track! Don

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-13-2001, 10:14 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Color change

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
You got it Jerry. There is a LOT involved in changing colors. I will stay with black, but I'd LOVE to get that DuPont Chromolusion black that changes to gold as you move around the car. Saw it on a VW at the Indy Auto Show a few years back, and fell in love with it. They put a special version of Chromolusion on Jeff Gordon's car for the Winston a few years back, and the car was a different color at every corner of the track! Don
Subaru also had a color changing paint. It was called "Aztec Gold", and it was used on the 1978 models. Unfortunately you didn't realize it was changing color until someone commented on your pink car, or you removed the license plate and remembered the real color of the car you bought.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:05 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Color change

Quote:
They put a special version of Chromolusion

Isn't that a cough syrup?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-13-2001, 06:38 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Re: Re: Color change

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Isn't that a cough syrup?

Randy, why do you think they call it....PAINTING your throat? Don

Old 07-14-2001, 12:02 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Color change

Quote:

Randy, why do you think they call it....PAINTING your throat? Don

First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"