Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 02-11-2014, 05:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to andreoz
Registered SVX
Drive shaft centre bearing

My SVX is a 1992 model (Australian) with just under 180k on the clock and I have had it since new. Recently developed a clunking noise coming from the left and centre - sounded like my CV joints which was confirmed by a mechanic. Have just had the CV joints and shafts replaced and to my surprise some of the noise is still there but it is very much under left of centre console. After showing it to the repair shop I was told that it is most likely the centre bearing in the drive shaft. The noise seems to be only present when accelerating from stand still and is more readily seen when turning to the right. I had a quick search through the forum and I see that there seem to be two different versions of the drive shaft - one with replaceable bearing and one with NOT.
I am looking for recommendations from any of you who have had similar experience or have had to replace the centre bearing or perhaps it is another problem.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:12 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Drive shaft centre bearing

Have you thoroughly checked your trans and engine mounts? Sometimes a tear can be hard to spot.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-12-2014, 03:10 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks Michael. I wonder if that could be the problem as I have also just noticed that when the car is idling in Neutral it runs nice and smooth. As soon as I put the lever into drive or reverse there is a slight vibration through the whole car.....
Old 02-12-2014, 04:10 PM

hi try a tube of lubegard in the auto, its sold on ebay @ about $10, it could be the auto locking up
Old 02-12-2014, 04:16 PM

also known as shudder fix.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:41 AM

I can vouch for the magic potion called Dr Tranny that Carl is recommending. I dropped a couple of tubes down the transmission filler tube and it immediately fixed the shuddering that occurring during slow, tight turns.
This is a fault that the transmission shop and the Subaru dealer couldn't solve.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 PM

Registered SVX

Well I have just had a "grease and oil change" type service and the mechanic has confirmed that looks like the drive shaft centre bearing is shot! Anyone had experience replacing and are parts available??
Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM

Registered SVX
Unhappy Re: Drive shaft centre bearing

Well guys, I have been snookered!!! As well as the drive shaft my gearbox mounts were shot as well. At that time Subaru had an SVX drive shaft in stock but the gearbox mounts had to come from Japan. We decided to hold off with the tail shaft till mounts arrived so the drive shaft could be sent away to check if it is repairable. Well it is not and the drive shaft from Subaru has been sold. Now it is ex Japan at double the price. Anyone have any suggestions for a cheaper option??
Old 03-19-2014, 02:50 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneHobson View Post
I can vouch for the magic potion called Dr Tranny that Carl is recommending. I dropped a couple of tubes down the transmission filler tube and it immediately fixed the shuddering that occurring during slow, tight turns.
This is a fault that the transmission shop and the Subaru dealer couldn't solve.
I don't think that would work in this particular case. The shuddering that Carl mentions is being caused by the AWD Transfer Clutch binding during tight turns (where the input and output shafts of the transfer clutch are rotating at different speeds).

Australian delivered SVXs do not use this type of AWD system - they use the VTD system, which does not use a transfer clutch.

I actually had this very issue on my grey SVX - it was caused by a combination of a worn driveshaft centre bearing, worn transmission mounts, and one completely broken engine mount. This caused the driveshaft to be slightly out of alignment, causing shuddering during fast standing starts.

I have also experienced the issue of shuddering caused by a binding AWD transfer clutch - my Vortex 4WD Turbo uses the same transfer clutch based AWD system that US model SVXs use. Occasionally, I would feel the drivetrain binding up during standing starts when I was also turning. In my case, an ATF fluid change fixed that, but that shuddering was definitely caused by the transfer clutch.

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 03-19-2014, 03:43 PM

Cool Re: Drive shaft centre bearing

There are 2 partout SVXs on -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...ch_suggested=0

would be a lot cheaper to get photos of yours & see what they want ....
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:14 AM

you can use a 1999 - 2003 gen 3 liberty AUTO tailahaft. i have used them in place of SVX shafts before with no problems what soever. they should be about $100 from a wreckers. i may even have one in stock at work, if you need one please call me on 02 9600 7066. thanks, Ben.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:55 AM

Registered SVX

Jason - mine is exactly the same problem. Both gearbox mounts need replacement and the drive shaft centre bearing is shot! Managed to pick up an SVX drive shaft from the wreckers with a reasonable bearing so will use that. Have given the Hardy Spicer drive shaft experts a challenge to see if they can remove the original bearing so they can put on a replacement.

Thanks for all your tips. Certainly interesting about the Legacy drive shaft!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: