Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades

Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Found a lost SVX

Re: Wilwood BBK kit coming soon

This may not be the right place to ask but... what about STi brembos? I assume the mounting is different for all of these. Why, if, are STi brembos not an option?

Can you find out and post how much a full four wheel set up of any or all kinds would be? I assume more than my cars blue book value.

:..Fey..:2005 World Rally Blue Impreza WRX 80k and rising. MODs: Lowering springs, 22mm sway bars. SS brake lines.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post
This may not be the right place to ask but... what about STi brembos? I assume the mounting is different for all of these. Why, if, are STi brembos not an option?

Can you find out and post how much a full four wheel set up of any or all kinds would be? I assume more than my cars blue book value.
There are many posts on the Brembos. They don't work. The bolt holes match, but the SVX knuckle is different and would put the calipers further out than the STi, requiring a larger diameter rotor. The problem is that the calipers used on the STi are already at the max rotor size they can accommodate. If you ran a larger rotor then it would either grind against the top and bottom edge of the caliper, or the pad would have it's outside edge hanging in space.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Does anybody know if the 22B-STI/late WRX Subaru-logo 4/2 piston setup will fit the SVX somehow? Just out of curiousity...
I would like to know this my self as I have a set of 4pots sitting on the bench at my parents house. Maybe Ill answer this question.

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
There are many posts on the Brembos. They don't work. The bolt holes match, but the SVX knuckle is different and would put the calipers further out than the STi, requiring a larger diameter rotor. The problem is that the calipers used on the STi are already at the max rotor size they can accommodate. If you ran a larger rotor then it would either grind against the top and bottom edge of the caliper, or the pad would have it's outside edge hanging in space.

does that include the newer V9 sti and upwards?
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 06-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
does that include the newer V9 sti and upwards?
V9 = '08+? Nothing to my knowledge has been tried with those, likely due to rarity of cheap and easily available parts.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Pretend Innovator

Registered SVX

While it is true that using a larger rotor on the STI Brembos would leave a corner of the pad unused, that does not necessarily make it an option some people would not desire to use. Intelligent or not, effective or not, like it or not, people have been using 350Z rotors underneath their 300ZX calipers for a while now. It's the exact same concept. They use a fabricated spacer to move their calipers out farther from the hub and then use the larger Z33 rotors. It's not perfect, but I fail to see how that makes it not an option. Even if it's only for show, that is all some car builders are looking for.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockleaf View Post
While it is true that using a larger rotor on the STI Brembos would leave a corner of the pad unused, that does not necessarily make it an option some people would not desire to use. Intelligent or not, effective or not, like it or not, people have been using 350Z rotors underneath their 300ZX calipers for a while now. It's the exact same concept. They use a fabricated spacer to move their calipers out farther from the hub and then use the larger Z33 rotors. It's not perfect, but I fail to see how that makes it not an option. Even if it's only for show, that is all some car builders are looking for.
Thanks for the info

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockleaf View Post
If you are going to spend the money why not do ti the correct way that gets you looks and performance? Doing a set of STi brembos is still going to be a good chunk of money.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 06-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
If you are going to spend the money why not do ti the correct way that gets you looks and performance? Doing a set of STi brembos is still going to be a good chunk of money.
+1 sacrificing safety for looks when I'm planning to add more power is just scary.... I'm not down at throwing money at a pair of calipers just so they say brembo, I'm good with having stock 2 n 1 pots that are painted and function correctly
Old 06-23-2009, 06:28 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Why yes....yes they do....I'm still getting them for my Impreza anyways though. So yeah... I havent'really searched through this thread and I know your sig says to PM you but what kind of prices are we talking about for Wilwood set ups?
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 06-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

its only three pages.... The prices are not hard to find lol....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 06-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
Could you get me a price for the Wilwood 4pots with 2-piece rotors?

Also, what size rotor will these calipers use?

Thanks!

Dustin
Any news here?

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company