IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
R.I.P, my best friend.......

Today, we attended the Memorial service for a guy that was my 'lab partner' when I was in college in the 70's and the best friend a guy could have for the next 30 years.
He and I cried together when my first born passed in '77', but the ones that came after were there with husbands and children. The girls all knew him. Amber hauled her family 165 miles to be there.

I had a wife, 3 daughters, 2 sons-in-law and 5 grandchildren walk in with me, so I guess that shows how good a friend he was!

They opened the service with " I'll Fly Away" and wanted the 'attendees' to sing too. ( I croaked out a few notes)

I later told the Preacher that " The last 10 times I sang that song, Steve was pl;aying lead guitar and I was following".

2 years ago, I was helping daughter # 1 put a new roof on her house and the only one that came out to help was Steve. He worked with us for about 5 hours, but had to leave so he could go to his fathers funeral. ( we went too).

Steve had a rough row to hoe. 12 years ago, he was going to work on his motorcycle. An old man pulled out of his driveway, in a 1970 Ford pick-up, about 50 feet from where Steve was moving at 55 MPH. Steve hit the truck on the door hinges, bounced 50 feet behind the point of impact and landed in a ditch.

They had to cut his skull open till the brain quit swelling, etc etc. Months later, he was moving from the wheelchair to a walker, when his wife was hit from behind on her motorcycle and killed.

After he had a few months to get himself back on track, He came back here to help ME with MY problems! Help he did! He cut 105 pine trees down, helped me burn the brush, called the lumber co to buy the logs, helped replace the roof that the trees had ruined, I can't even think of all the ways that he helped me over the years!

Last friday night, he was out with his brother and a few friends. His sister-in-law drove him home. He walked into his basement, had a heart attack,fell against the sink and hit his head where the plate was. He laid there for 3 days before anyone found him. ( he had a history of going off for a few days now and again).....

The worst part is that he was only 48 years old!!!! I'm 55!

You don't have any guarentees! Tell your friends and family how you feel!
It could be your turn next, ( or theirs)

I called SVXfiles today and told him that I had a 'position' open.... 'Best Friend', (He had met Steve and liked him too).

R.I.P. Steven Gregg Myers, You will be missed.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 09-08-2007, 10:36 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I understand.

When I lost my best friend, Michael, November Second, 1978, it was also an accident.

My life changed.

Bad things can happen, life can suck.

I started living for two.....

Living hard takes alot out of you.

My son, David Michael, is named after my two best friends.

Jerry, I am truely sorry for your loss.

I only met Steve once, but he was someone to remember.
silly, buzzed, and wresteling with my 100# Shepherd!

Free, and happy to be alive.

We should all be so free.

Your friend,
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Sorry to hear about your loss... may he rest in peace

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
Today, we attended the Memorial service for a guy that was my 'lab partner' when I was in college in the 70's and the best friend a guy could have for the next 30 years.
He and I cried together when my first born passed in '77', but the ones that came after were there with husbands and children. The girls all knew him. Amber hauled her family 165 miles to be there.

I had a wife, 3 daughters, 2 sons-in-law and 5 grandchildren walk in with me, so I guess that shows how good a friend he was!

They opened the service with " I'll Fly Away" and wanted the 'attendees' to sing too. ( I croaked out a few notes)

I later told the Preacher that " The last 10 times I sang that song, Steve was pl;aying lead guitar and I was following".

2 years ago, I was helping daughter # 1 put a new roof on her house and the only one that came out to help was Steve. He worked with us for about 5 hours, but had to leave so he could go to his fathers funeral. ( we went too).

Steve had a rough row to hoe. 12 years ago, he was going to work on his motorcycle. An old man pulled out of his driveway, in a 1970 Ford pick-up, about 50 feet from where Steve was moving at 55 MPH. Steve hit the truck on the door hinges, bounced 50 feet behind the point of impact and landed in a ditch.

They had to cut his skull open till the brain quit swelling, etc etc. Months later, he was moving from the wheelchair to a walker, when his wife was hit from behind on her motorcycle and killed.

After he had a few months to get himself back on track, He came back here to help ME with MY problems! Help he did! He cut 105 pine trees down, helped me burn the brush, called the lumber co to buy the logs, helped replace the roof that the trees had ruined, I can't even think of all the ways that he helped me over the years!

Last friday night, he was out with his brother and a few friends. His sister-in-law drove him home. He walked into his basement, had a heart attack,fell against the sink and hit his head where the plate was. He laid there for 3 days before anyone found him. ( he had a history of going off for a few days now and again).....

I called SVXfiles today and told him that I had a 'position' open.... 'Best Friend', (He had met Steve and liked him too).

so much to quote,,, my dad past away at the age of 49... =[ im sorry. my dad was more then a parent to me. We later became a boy son friendship in which we had more questions then answers... i feel your loss and i pray for you and your family. I feel in my heart you 2 had more good times then bad times... love is what never dies...
Old 09-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:

Jerry

Your story tells it all, how close you were to Steven. May he rest in peace.

Your family is obviously very tightly knit to one another and to your good friends. May you all be rewarded for your love and care.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-09-2007, 06:42 AM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Loosing a friend is something that hurts and shouldn't ever happen.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Jerry - It is times like these that one really can't say much to help much. Sometimes it is just better to let the person know that you are there for them if needed. We are here, and if we can help, let us know. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
Jerry - It is times like these that one really can't say much to help much. Sometimes it is just better to let the person know that you are there for them if needed. We are here, and if we can help, let us know. I am sorry to hear of your loss.
Sat night, I grabbed the old tenor banjo that I bought so Steve and I could 'jam' 25 years ago. It had been 'neglected' for a long time, since I took the end of my 'chording' fingers off. I carried it to my neighbor's house. (He works at a music shop and owes me money). He helped me clean it up and gave me a string that replaced the one that broke when we tuned it up. We played a couple songs, then I let him go to bed. I came home and played every song that Steve and I used to play till the fingers hurt so bad I couldn't stand it.

Yea, I even played a version of ' Dueling Banjos' and it stuck in Amie's head for hours.
I finished the evening by playing " I'll Fly Away" for her.

In Steve's HONOR, I will try to NEVER let the dust settle on the ol' instrument' again!

I haven't 'teared-up' for a couple hours, so I guess I might live through this....

Thanks for the kind words, one and all.

I just got a file system for the old 35 MM photos, so I think I will work on them for a while. Never know what 'memories' I will turn up going through the stacks.

God Bless you all!

PS , Steve drove a 96 Outback, in white.

Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 09-10-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Now with more color

Revisited.....

Quote:
Sat night, I grabbed the old tenor banjo that I bought so Steve and I could 'jam' 25 years ago. It had been 'neglected' for a long time, since I took the end of my 'chording' fingers off. I carried it to my neighbor's house. (He works at a music shop and owes me money). He helped me clean it up and gave me a string that replaced the one that broke when we tuned it up. We played a couple songs, then I let him go to bed. I came home and played every song that Steve and I used to play till the fingers hurt so bad I couldn't stand it.

Yea, I even played a version of ' Dueling Banjos' and it stuck in Amie's head for hours.
I finished the evening by playing " I'll Fly Away" for her.

In Steve's HONOR, I will try to NEVER let the dust settle on the ol' instrument' again!

I haven't 'teared-up' for a couple hours, so I guess I might live through this....

Thanks for the kind words, one and all.

I just got a file system for the old 35 MM photos, so I think I will work on them for a while. Never know what 'memories' I will turn up going through the stacks.

God Bless you all!

PS , Steve drove a 96 Outback, in white.

For the last week, I have been running a lot of tape from past events. I put in a tape from july '06'. THREE of the FOUR guys that helped me do the event are now 'Deceased'!!!!

I'm pretty much over the shock of my friend(s) passing.
I am, however having a few 'issues' with my OWN mortality, since we were all very 'similar' in years. (a span of 1 decade between us ALL). The only one left, besides myself, that was on the 'grid', was wearing a cholostomy bag and living on pain killers.

Take GOOD care of yourself! You just MIGHT live long enough to REGRET some of your decisions!

Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 10-24-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Sue isn't really striped

I'm sorry for your loss, he sounded like a great guy.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
For the last week, I have been running a lot of tape from past events. I put in a tape from july '06'. THREE of the FOUR guys that helped me do the event are now 'Deceased'!!!!

I'm pretty much over the shock of my friend(s) passing.
I am, however having a few 'issues' with my OWN mortality, since we were all very 'similar' in years. (a span of 1 decade between us ALL). The only one left, besides myself, that was on the 'grid', was wearing a cholostomy bag and living on pain killers.

Take GOOD care of yourself! You just MIGHT live long enough to REGRET some of your decisions!
Amen to that Jerry.

No harm blowing the odd gasket just for the heck of it. But we only get one engine, so don't run without oil for too long.

Keep smiling and living and remembering for Steve. That's all you can do for him now, and take care.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade
I'm very sorry about your friend. Being young I'm fortunate enough not to have dealt with losing anyone that close to me. I don't look forward to it.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlade View Post
I'm very sorry about your friend. Being young I'm fortunate enough not to have dealt with losing anyone that close to me. I don't look forward to it.
That's the MAIN problem with getting older......

The one that dies LAST has no friends to come to the funeral.

Just let them KNOW when they are alive that they are important. Just maybe they will last a little longer.

I sometimes think that If Steve was at the rod run with ME, that he might have been here today. The other line of thinking is that 'you only have so many days in your life, assigned at the start and there is NOTHING you can do to change that'. The only thing that you have the power to change is, 'How you will be living on the day that your time runs out'.

If you don't take care of yourself, you could be laying in a nursing home, undergoing 'treatments' for some desease or blasting off the wall in turn 4. When the clock runs out, you are DONE.

I'm not going to sweat the details, I am going to live till I DIE!

And LOVE every minute of it!!

Jerry