Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I've heard the term but I didn't know the meaning behind it either. Thanks for enlightening me. We're holding a candlelight vigil here at U of F tonight in rememberence of those who lost their lives.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 04-18-2007, 02:28 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet
Assuming your not being an ass because it's not at all obvious what a Hokie really is, here's some info:

http://www.hokiesports.com/whatsahokie.html

That's where the name came from but when you ask most people what is a Hokie they will tell you it's a turkey.
Im assuming he WAS being an A$$. Unless you've had your head up your A$$ then you know what a HOKIE is and stands for. You cant turn the radio or tv on without hearing it.
I didnt realize Andrew went there. Glad hes not one of the unlucky ones. "I AM A HOKIE"

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
That's bad ass and much appreciated by all of us Hokies.
You're welcome. I'm a Wahoo...but after this week, I'm a proud Hokie as well!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT2HAVESVX
Im assuming he WAS being an A$$. Unless you've had your head up your A$$ then you know what a HOKIE is and stands for. You cant turn the radio or tv on without hearing it.
I didnt realize Andrew went there. Glad hes not one of the unlucky ones. "I AM A HOKIE"
I didn't know either... Jay is not that kind of guy from what I gathered and he was sincerely curious as to it's definition. don't go flyin off the handle quite yet.

Tom
Old 04-19-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Unless you've had your head up your A$$ then you know what a HOKIE is and stands for.
I have no idea what a a Hokie is, and I'd bet that goes for better than half the country.

Very cool how the Washington Nationals wore VT caps the other night in their game against the Braves (and kudos to Major League Baseball for allowing the gesture).

This thing was just so tragic, so senseless. Big picture, sometimes I worry more about off-the-deep-end social misfits than Islamic extremists.

dcb
Old 04-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Quote:
If your being smart then your a real a$$hole. That is really uncalled for here, take your childlike comments somewhere else. I am proud to say, "I AM A HOKIE"
Check out the colors of my sig, check out the pics in my locker. Those kids that spoke last night held themselves together with a dignity and utter respect that not many people in this world have. Yeah I am a HOKIE.
Actually, i was not being an ass. I had no idea what a hokie was. I didn't go to college, i grew up in a small town, joined the air force, moved to texas in a small town, then moved back to pennsylvania. Where would i have learned what a hokie is? But thanks for the insight on your character. I thought it was a racist term of some sort, when i heard it for the first time two days ago, because i had heard that it was an asian guy, and people were being slanderous towards the race due to the actions of a single individual. I'm sorry i'm not "down" with your slang and nick-names.

I can assure you i don't have my head up my ass, yet i've still not managed to ever heard the term before.

Thanks for the support Tom.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:34 PM

Same, had no clue what a "hokie" was at all.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to budbaer Send a message via Yahoo to budbaer
Quote:
If your being smart then your a real a$$hole. That is really uncalled for here, take your childlike comments somewhere else. I am proud to say, "I AM A HOKIE"
Check out the colors of my sig, check out the pics in my locker. Those kids that spoke last night held themselves together with a dignity and utter respect that not many people in this world have. Yeah I am a HOKIE.
Yeah, you should give people a chance. I have heard the term a lot, I even had a Virginia Tech sticker on the back of my Mustang, it came with the car and I just left it there. But, I had no idea what a Hokie was until I used the above link. I'm sure most people have no idea what it is, it's a made up word, it's not like something that everyone knows like a panther or a wolverine. I understand you are upset with VT being your almamater and all but, I think he was just asking a question.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:22 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX
Actually, i was not being an ass. I had no idea what a hokie was. I didn't go to college, i grew up in a small town, joined the air force, moved to texas in a small town, then moved back to pennsylvania. Where would i have learned what a hokie is? But thanks for the insight on your character. I thought it was a racist term of some sort, when i heard it for the first time two days ago, because i had heard that it was an asian guy, and people were being slanderous towards the race due to the actions of a single individual. I'm sorry i'm not "down" with your slang and nick-names.

I can assure you i don't have my head up my ass, yet i've still not managed to ever heard the term before.

Thanks for the support Tom.
OK its my turn for an apology! I havent had a good week, but I do know thats no excuse! Im very sorry for jumping to conclusions. Please accept my apologies. (everyone) And if you want to, tomorrow has been decalared National Orange and maroon day. If you want to, wear a tech shirt or something orange or maroon, Im interested to see how the world looks (at least here on the east coast) its going to be a huge thing for some.
Again, sorry bout being a B too quickly, I am embarrassed.

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 04-19-2007, 10:29 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Assuming your not being an ass because it's not at all obvious what a Hokie really is, here's some info:

http://www.hokiesports.com/whatsahokie.html

That's where the name came from but when you ask most people what is a Hokie they will tell you it's a turkey.

Thanks for the explanation....

It is pretty rare to hear the term hokie up here... but I am really disliking how the media is portraying this and that they censored the manifesto tape mailed to NBC... It really hits close to home when something like this does happen, it makes me just a tad bit worried that something like that could have happened up here.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-20-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
Thanks for the explanation....

It is pretty rare to hear the term hokie up here... but I am really disliking how the media is portraying this and that they censored the manifesto tape mailed to NBC... It really hits close to home when something like this does happen, it makes me just a tad bit worried that something like that could have happened up here.

That's why we are asking everyone to wear orange and/or maroon, because something like this can happen to anyone and anywhere. Nothing can be done about it, we just have to pick up and move on. Today we are all Hokies.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: