Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Crank Sprocket?

I'm in the process of replacing a crank pulley that "fell" off of a 92 I just bought.
I was able to get the busted bolt out and removed the covers from the front of the engine to find that when the pulley escaped it also busted the woodruf key which gouged the key slot and the crank sprocket. The sprocket was not damaged enough to warrant replacement but getting it off is turning out to be rather difficult, it's jammed on there pretty good but it hasn't shifted so the cam timing is OK.

I have the replacement parts (thanks budfreak for the pulley, bolt and key).

I did a search and found one thread in which a poster described a situation that's identical to mine where they didn't remove the sprocket. This got me thinking about the idea of modifying the new woodruf key to fit the slot I have and then use JB Weld to keep it in place. What do you guys think?
I know it's not the ideal way to make this repair but if I torqued the pulley bolt to the maximum recommended setting would it hold?

Would it hold if I just skipped the woodruf key all together? My LT1 is this way but requires a puller to remove the harmonic balancer so a key is really irrelevant.

Another idea I had was to tap the round holes in the crank sprocket and use a gear puller to remove it. Has anyone tried this and if so was it successful and what is the correct size tap to use. I have a 2 arm gear puller but it's to large and I don't want to ruin the crank trigger plate on the back of the sprocket.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

BTW: This is one of the better automotive forums I've encounter, keep up the good work.

73 Datsun 240Z, GM LT1 (274 rwhp, 307 ft/lbs torque), GM 5-Speed, LSD (The Beast)
93 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible. Mostly Stock (The PussyCat)
92 Teal LS-L SVX. Project, when completed will be sold.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:23 PM

Registered SVX
I would go for retaining the key and fixing it into the damaged keyway as well as possible, with the best goo available. It is unlikely to move in even the damaged slot, but you will be the best judge of this. I would confident in this regard, as a result of your obvious knowledge of what is involved.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!