Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-15-2001, 10:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Dunlop tires save me from bonehead move

I do this about once every two months or so. I merge onto the freeway and begin to merge into the left lane to pass the car I followed up the ramp. I don't check my blindspot. I slmost merge into the car next to me.

After this happens, I check my blindspot religiously for two months. Then I don't, almost hit somebody, and it starts over.

Today, because I was passing a Ford Tempo that was doing 50 on the 70mph freeway, I was picking up speed when I noticed the car in the left lane as I was merging. This means that the following happened:

1. I let off the gas and gently touched the brakes.

2. I turned to the right.

In the rain, at 70mph or so, that's bad. I'm really lucky I didn't oversteer to the right and careen off the road. AWD was moot in this one because I wasn't on the gas.

So let it be known that Dunlop D60A2 tires provide sufficient traction in the rain to save you from bonehead moves.

END OF LINE

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-15-2001, 10:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Consider the little mirror

Mr. Pockets,
Do consider installing one of those little 1inch round convex mirrors in your sideview mirror. I have them on both sides (inside lower corner) and they save my butt many, many times. You can't exactly read license plates with these things but your brain detects somethings there and you think twice.

I know they obscure somewhat, but I believe the trade is worth it. I practially LIVE on the highway (84 miles a workday) and rarely does a "blindspotter" suprise me.

I hate turning my head because then your NOT looking foward, which I believe is MUCH worse.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
little convex mirrors

I had one of those on my truck's left mirror and loved it...but those mirrors were a bit bigger than the SVX's...

END OF LINE

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-15-2001, 01:16 PM
tat2skullz

Next time, Cube (just can't get used to it yet, give me a little more time)..... STAY ON THE GAS! Oh, and hope the other guy's brakes work... hehehe

I know, each situation is different, but if I'm committed to switching lanes... I go. Most of the time, the car that is in my blind spot (thats a rare term to use with the SVX) is not actually there when I first check my mirrors, but usually is someone motoring up the left lane, that I think is moving slower than they actually are.

Seth

ps... very glad that nothing horrific happened
Old 05-15-2001, 03:17 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Jscorse,

I'd agree with the turning the head checking the blindspot thing. I've been as a passenger where the driver decided to look over their shoulder, and look, and look, and look, and look, for 5 or seconds, not aware of what's in front of them, such as cars, trucks, curbs, walls, and the like.

I've got my side mirrors set to check for blind spots ONLY, and use the windshield mounted one for everything else. If there's a car in my mirror, chances are I don't have much room or any room at all to change lanes.

Most have their side mirrors set as to see the back of their car. But to quote a Toronto automotive journalist, when is the last time your trunk hit your car?

I've been setting the mirrors like this for years, and have worked very well, almost never having to look over my shoulders.

VK
eh!
Old 05-15-2001, 09:09 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
It should not be the tires -- it should be your brain saving your butt. right? After the accident, I am following a strict 2 second rule.
Lwin
Old 05-15-2001, 09:26 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<After the accident, I am following a strict 2 second rule.>>

Me too. If I haven't messed my pants within two seconds of seeing the oncoming car, then, everything's gonna be okay.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-16-2001, 09:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
It should not be the tires -- it should be your brain saving your butt. right? After the accident, I am following a strict 2 second rule.
Lwin
Lwin, you keep referring to "the accident." Sounds recent. Sometime, when you feel comfortable, please share your experience.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-17-2001, 03:37 AM

Accident

Well, That's how I got the SVX. The story is as follows.

Time: Endo of March.

I was driving a Nissan Altima. I was on the highway. I saw the van infron of me. I step on the brakes. I saw the smokes at the back. The tires locked up. The car kept moving. I said "oh s*** I am going to hit the van. I am going to hit it right there." Then BANG! My airbags went off. I cough out that stuff. I walked out alive. IL state troopers came. Tickets were issued. I towed my car back.

I was looking around for a mazda mx6 to replace the car. I saw a 4 cylc. with automatic. I wanted a stick shift. I looked next door at another dealer. I saw the 94L with the tag for 7500 with 75k miles. I took it out for a test drive. I shook hands with the dealer for 5300 Out The Door (about 4800 without tax and doc. fees). Oh and a missing ash tray.

I love the SVX. I changed the front brakes (rotors and pads). Went to court. All tickets were dismissed. I am happy. But now I keep a strict 2 second rule. Got to replace the tires soon though... any recommandations? And I am getting some grinding sound from the right front wheel area. Told that its from the front barings. Got to replace that soon too.

lwin

previous cars
87 Honda Prelude (rear ended by a Semi with a full load)
96 Mitsubushi Galant (Did not like the feel and traded in for a ...)
95 Camaro Base model (love the car but rear diff. problem)
94 Nissan Altima (This time I hit the other guy)

So... if you see me you guys might want to stay away from that crazy guy with the red svx.

Last edited by Seraph; 05-17-2001 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-17-2001, 06:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Seraphim,

Let me reiterate what a wise old SVXer (Frankie B.) more than once said; "Toyo Proxies". I have their T-1S tires on my car. These are a high performance tire. They are strickly summer tires that are fantastic in rain. I have about 15,000 miles on them and project around a 30, 000 mile life. In Delaware we don't get much snow. But these tires performed well in about 6" of snow this past winter. The tread is a chevron pattern and these tires are directional. They seem to have 2 separate rubber compounds on the tread. When they were new, the tread was a soft compound, gripped like glue, and was very quiet. Now that they're worn down the tread compound is harder. The tires still grip well, but they are not as fantastic as before. And they have become very, very noisy. The 4 tires cost ~$730- which includes mounting, balancing and NJ 6% sales tax. Next, I will probably try Yoko AVS-db's. Many SVXers have & like them. They are supposed to be extremely quiet. Or I may get Dulop D60 A2's, which also seems to be popular with SVXers.

Larry III
Old 05-17-2001, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the info larry. I will look into changing them ASAP.
lwin
Old 05-17-2001, 11:44 AM
lightning_8669

<<Got to replace the tires soon though... any recommandations? >>

I've gone with Dunlop SP5000 in Wisconsin weather. Very nice and installed for around $500.

One gripe I have about the SVX is that the passenger side mirror does not allow for a view far enough off the side of the car. I find people hiding there pretty often.
Old 05-17-2001, 12:03 PM

Registered SVX
Lwin, glad you made it out of the accident okay. I've found in my previous experience, if I can avoid saying "Oh Sh**" I can usually avoid the accident (though it didn't work when I totalled my Spitfire)

I know that people who've just read that I paid 800.00 for a set of Goodyear RS-A's are going to say "who is he to give advice" but, if I'd had my "druthers" I would have bought the Yoko dbs. They're only 102.00 each on tirerack.com. They are "W" rated high performance all weather tires (Minimum recommended rating is V). I'm sure they'd have a "ship to" address for the install in the Chicagoland area. I've known at least three SVXers who have installed and love them. Eric (blonde_man), Brian (never2phat) and John (svxcess).

I'd have that bearing checked out ASAP. Don't want to have to replace any more components that you have to. Waiting could cause more damage if it's the bearing.

I was getting tire noise, and expected I had a bearing issue. Took it in to find that my car had been riding on the inside shoulders of the tires and they were bald -- no, not the tires, just the inside shoulders, so, I couldn't see it until they put it up on the rack. To make a long story short, that's how I ended up with new tires.

Good luck.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-17-2001, 07:53 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Tires

< So let it be known that Dunlop D60A2 tires provide sufficient traction in the rain to save you from bonehead moves>

Those are the tires on my SVX, and I am very pleased with them.

Don