Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-09-2002, 10:23 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When I read that I was thinking . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by nubs

Hey, somebody has to preserve the breed.
Yeah, that was mom and dad's excuse for locking me in the garage when I was a kid. Luckily, I got out.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-09-2002, 11:04 PM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
OK, as for the window-within-a-window design being on the SVX and classified as a production car, I have this to say. What did they call the DMC Delorean in 83 with the window in window, or the 74 bricklin SV1 made 14 years earlier? Somehow I don't understand whet that author means by production car. I can buy a delorean, and a bricklin SV1 just as easily as an SVX.
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:37 PM
DWayne2910

Unsuccessful windows

...And you could get that same window treatment on the McLaren F1 for a mere $1million. They made only a few of those, so I guess the windows didn't work on that car either...(guffaw)
Dan W.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:53 PM
red95svx

Portofino

I saw that concept car at an auto show in Boston years ago. I still have some pics of it somewhere. I actually like it. Kind of funky. It was much better looking in person though. I often wondered what the hell ever happened to it. Guess I now know.........

David

p.s I get picked on for my windows too. BUT I LOVE THEM!!!!
Old 05-13-2002, 03:03 PM
red95svx

windows

Boomin'

Did you realize that the Bricklin is named after Malcolm Bricklin, co-founder of SOA? Weird, huh?

Also, as far as production vehicles go, less than 3,000 Bricklins were made, and Deloreans numbered around 9,000. Maybe the big deal with the SVX having funky windows is that no other company made as many cars with that type of window (about 25,000 worldwide for the SVX).

David
Old 05-13-2002, 08:13 PM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
No red, I didn't know that he was a co-founder of SOA. That's interesting to know. I guess you are right, they only called it what they did because of the number of cars that were produced. I guess they just consider it a production car after so many.
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
A guy I know used to refer to his Bricklin as "the worlds first true car pool" because of its constant leaking from the doors.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-13-2002, 11:20 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Red face I may be wrong - usually am . . .

. . . but I don't think the Bricklin had a window within a window. In fact, if memory serves me, the windows didn't even roll down.

Someone correct me here.

'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 05-13-2002, 11:37 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I knew they were limited production but I didn't know how limited. I wonder how I was so lucky to work on four of them. They were (and still are, in my eyes) junk.

I believe Malcolm fancied himself the automotive equivalent of P.T. Barnum, always looking for a a'sucker' car to sell to suckers. When SOA started up I suppose the FF1 was the model available from FHI. To him I'm sure it apprared to be a sucker car, when it turned out to be a fairly decent car he probably lost interest. I don't recall why he left SOA, maybe that was the reason.

The Bricklin SV-1 (Safety Vehicle 1, definitely a pitchman's title) was a huge step up for Macolm, in dollardom, that is. It was still a sucker's car. It was stated that it didn't include an ashtray because Malcolm didn't want someone screwing around with a cigarette while driving, get into an accident and tarnishing the car's safety reputation. I suspect the real truth was that they didn't want someone to drop a cigarette in the car and catch it on fire and burn to death because they couldn't open the overweight and under-engineered gullwings doors that never seemed to work properly two times in a row. The doors did, however have a 'safety' release built into them in case of failure of the normal apparatus. If you'd cram your arm way up inside of the door, find the trip release and if you could manage to pull it, the door would unlatch. After that one would have to roll out under the edge and weight of it, as I doubt few of its owners could lift the overweight POS, throw a leg or two over the sill and stand up, with any decorum or style. If you ever see an ad for one for sale it usually will state that the doors have been modified (read: made able to open occasionally) or not.

His next foray into business was the Yugo. Do I have to say sucker car again? Yes, it was the Yugoslavian version of the Fiat 128, and a poor version of one, at that. I remember reading a news story about a dealer (a GM dealer in Pittsburgh or Philly, if I remember correctly) that was offering a choice of a new Yugo or a cell phone with the purchase of a new car. Only three people took the Yugo, and two of them brought their's back. One guy said his wife told him to take it back and get the phone or don't bother coming home.

I've heard of a couple plans of Malcolm's since then but I don't think they ever panned out. He's probably burnt too many bridges with the venture and finance guys over the years. Which is probably just as well...
Old 05-14-2002, 12:00 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Well, Beav . . .

. . . I'm thinking you might just want to buy stock in the new ZMW.

Hey, you never know. Isn't there a line about even the blind pig getting the corn once in awhile?
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 05-14-2002, 12:11 AM
Not as old as Randy

Re: I may be wrong - usually am . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
. . . but I don't think the Bricklin had a window within a window. In fact, if memory serves me, the windows didn't even roll down.

Someone correct me here.

Yeah, they rolled down, but barely enough to crawl out through. The alternate, and preferred, path of ingress/egress is through the rear hatch. (see: http://www.bricklin.org/images/Meets/97OH/thrudoor.jpg look at the door on the far side and you'll see a window crank.)
Old 05-14-2002, 12:23 AM
Not as old as Randy

O.K., I'll bite, what's a ZMW?

I'm waiting for Malcolm to team up with John Z. to import modified Ladas from Russia. They won't be pretty but their only hazardous by-product will be crack cocaine.