How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-10-2002, 09:49 AM
rex

svx reliability?

I am considering a SVX, how reliable are they compaired to other cars? Are the SVX's as reliable as other Subaru models or other Japanese cars? I understand there are common problems with transmissions, brakes, and wheel bearings. Are the 94 and newer models much more reliable? How much will it cost to replace the transmission, brakes, and wheel bearings when they do go bad? Parts and labor? What is the expected lifespan of the transmissions?

How much do normal repairs like exhaust, timming-belts, water pumps, alternators,suspension, and tune-ups cost? I understand the labor is diffrent for diffrent parts of the country, I just want to get a rough idea. Are there any Chicago area owners on the forum? Where do the people from Chicago go when they need work and repairs?

What are obvious things to check for when inspecting a SVX?

Are certain models and years more desirable and reliable than others?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2002, 10:00 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: svx reliability?

Quote:
Originally posted by rex
I am considering a SVX, how reliable are they compaired to other cars? Are the SVX's as reliable as other Subaru models or other Japanese cars? I understand there are common problems with transmissions, brakes, and wheel bearings. Are the 94 and newer models much more reliable? How much will it cost to replace the transmission, brakes, and wheel bearings when they do go bad? Parts and labor? What is the expected lifespan of the transmissions?

How much do normal repairs like exhaust, timming-belts, water pumps, alternators,suspension, and tune-ups cost? I understand the labor is diffrent for diffrent parts of the country, I just want to get a rough idea. Are there any Chicago area owners on the forum? Where do the people from Chicago go when they need work and repairs?

Thanks!
Rex,
SVX is a unique car. Along with the uniqueness, you have the pay more for the parts. The tranny can last as long as 10 years to a couple of months. All depends on the way you drive. There is currently no such thing as chicago area owners forum but I might setup a site soon for midwest owners. If you are looking for a SVX, the best way to do is to have a owner check it out for you first. I can come out and do a test drive on a SVX. I currently own 2.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Casper Killer

Send a message via AIM to BLKSVX92 Send a message via Yahoo to BLKSVX92
sheesh all these chicago bound keep coming out of no where

1992 SVX Build 4/91 SOLD TO gsodonis
2002 Civic Si SOLD
2005 Lancer Evolution VIII TRADED
2008 STi
Old 05-10-2002, 10:21 AM
rex

Lwin,

How can I contact you? E-mail me at rexisracerx@aol.com
Old 05-11-2002, 04:11 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by rex
Lwin,

How can I contact you? E-mail me at rexisracerx@aol.com
e-mail me at lwin@iit.edu or call me at 847.668.4079

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-11-2002, 02:57 PM
gcookaustin

Re: svx reliability?

Quote:
Originally posted by rex

Thanks!
My impression (but after only about a month of ownership) is that it is reliable. But others on the board who have had theirs' longer can tell you that they have had a lot of problems. Basically if you do the maintenace and change the trans fluid (and maybe add a cooler too) you will have good transportation. In my case, my SVX used to be a fleet car so who knows how well it was maintained but it drives and shifts very well for a car its age. I don't think there's much improvement in later years except in the area of transmissions, but even then some later model years have had to have their's replaced.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:51 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

great car

if you want reliable buy a Honda or Toyota.......
although Subaru should be in this group........
for the most part, these are well built, engineered
and designed cars with a great following. How dependable
can also depend on how well the cars previous owner
took care of the car too.....so its too wide of an open
question. Ill tell you this........for as long as I have a car
Ill probably always have an SVX in the fleet for my driving 'pleasure. But it if it appeals to you......doubt
youd be sorry.

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 05-12-2002, 02:52 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Re: great car

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
if you want reliable buy a Honda or Toyota.......
although Subaru should be in this group........
Consumer Reports gave Toyota and Subaru a tie for the most reliable car manufacturers, above Honda. And the NHTSA gave the Legacy, Impreza and Forester the best safety ratings in their classes. There is no doubt in my mind that Subaru is one of the best car manufacturers out there.
Old 05-12-2002, 04:24 PM
gcookaustin

Re: Re: great car

You could also get a warranty...
Old 05-12-2002, 10:47 PM
greg

Heres my opinion:
Reliability is not the question here. the obvious has already pointed out, bearings, trans, etc... The real deal with an SVX is the cost of the repairs and the time it takes to find and have the parts shipped. The combination of the two make it not very cost effective to own as a first car. Although I have a beater, I use mine everyday because I can not stand not to drive it... But I will say I got my first SVX in 1992. The transmission went out on it at 48,000 miles (still under warranty) and that was the ONLY problem that ever came out of that car ever! The second one I got (the present one) has been a nightmare. I would nto trade it for the world (unless the rumor of the new one is true). So take your chance but the day you buy it start a savings account for the repairs! Good luck!
Old 05-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Lowered SVX

hahahaha......

no comment.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"