How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Jeff Koren

Leaky Exhaust around 2 to 1 Cat...rusted bolts/nuts and flanges

The joints around my two front inlets on the 2 to 1 cat are leaking. I did some research on this site and purchased the exhaust donuts, bolts, springs, etc. needed to fix the leak. However, when I went to do the work this weekend I chickened out as the existing setup is very rusted. The flanges on the catalytic converter look strong enough but the flanges on the two forward pipes look like they would not last through the repair due to the amount of rust. The nuts on the bolts were basically knobs sticking out of the rusted pipe flanges and I did not know where to even start to remove them without breaking the flanges.

Does anyone have a fix for this situation short of new exhaust pipes? Can new flanges be installed on the old pipes? If I needed new pipes, what would the $$$ damage be approximately?

Note I have already fixed the leak somewhat (noise is not bad right now but water leaks out of the joints upon startup) with some high temp epoxy (says up to 500 degrees) but I don't want to create a permanent, inflexible exhaust system and I know the epoxy will eventually fail.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:35 PM

Cut the bolts off with a cutoff wheel or grinder!

Cheers,
John
Old 03-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
I think if you break the forward flanges, any exhaust shop could repair them for cheap. I guess it depends upon if the flanges break, or if they tear away from the exhaust pipe leaving a gaping hole. I like the idea of cutting the bolts since you have new ones.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 03-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
I had the exact same problerm on my 96. The flanges on both sides of the gasket rusted away and the gasket inbetween disintegrated. This let cold air into the system and set off my CEL light for the third O2 sensor.

I would cut the exhaust pipes just behind the front cats and run 2" O.D. aluminized exhaust pipe back to a Magnaflow hi-flow converter (Which has two 2" inlets and a single 2.5" outlet (This will connect to the rest of your stock exhaust system)

Many members here (including myself) have gone this route. The Magnaflow converter is available from
http://www.performancepeddler.com

The cost is about $95.00, but you can email them your best offer (I got mine for a litle over $60.00 shipped to my door)

http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...CT_ID=MAG94007

http://www.performancepeddler.com/se...94037&x=7&y=14

Since your SVX is a 92, it has only two O2 sensors, you can use the Magnaglow 94007. Or just get the 94037 and plug the sensor hole with a screw-in plug.

Also check this thread:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ight=magnaflow

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-17-2006, 09:30 AM

I might have to do this, too, for my 94 LSi. Which magnaflow do I need? Also, sould I trust someone like Midas for a job like this?
Old 03-18-2006, 08:06 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I had this same exact problem and bought some used pipes locally, but I was unable to unbolt the old ones because of rust on the manifolds! I just used a grinder and scraped off all the junk, replacing the gaskets and bolts. I already sold the two pipes or I'd help you out . If I were you I'd have them cut off the flanges and weld new ones on.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayasa
I might have to do this, too, for my 94 LSi. Which Magnaflow do I need? Also, should I trust someone like Midas for a job like this?
Your 94 only has the two 02 sensors (The third O2 on the main converter didn't show up until OBDII in 96) So you can use either one. The 94007 is ready to go as is. The 94037 just needs a simple screw-in plug for the O2 sensor hole.

Midas, and most major muffler chains don't like to mess with this stuff. Your best bet is an independent muffler shop. It will probably be cheaper as well.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Jeff Koren

What I did (the conclusion)

Just to wrap up the thread. I obtained the donuts and studs via subaruparts.com. A bit pricy but I knew they would fit and if the first ones lasted 136K miles, these should last until the end.

I took the car to Buckeye Muffler and they managed to salvage all the flanges (think they might have welded some reinforcements on some of the flanges but I have not had a chance to get a close up). They then swapped out the old parts and put in the new (reused the springs). Total cost at Buckeye Muffler was $30 and about an hour.

So for the cost of the parts and $30 installation, I have a quiet SVX again!!!

Now if I could just locate the true source of that oil leak....