Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Jeff Koren

Brake Fluid Reservoir went empty...How should I bleed?

I had a loose break line to my back passenger caliper and enough brake fluid leaked to cause the reservoir to empty (luckily, the car was not moved while the leak was occurring).

I have tightened the bolt to stop the leak at the caliper but now wonder if I need to bleed the master cylinder and all four wheels or just bleed all four wheels? If I have to bleed the master cylinder, what is the best way to do it? My car is a 92 LS-L with AWD and working ABS. I see what looks to be a bleeder valve on top of the ABS unit but a search of other posts warned against bleeding using this.

Any suggestions or experiences to help me out?
Old 03-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
FloatingKiwi has a great tutorial for bleading brakes in his locker.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 03-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Jeff Koren

Bleeding Complete!!!

Just to wrap up this thread, I ended up bleeding all four tires twice. The first time around there was not a lot of fluid coming out. This was due to a large air bubble caused by having the reservoir go empty. I did not know I had a large air bubble at the time but the softness of the brakes after this bleeding round led me to believe there was still one in there.

After the first round, I debated disconnecting the two brake lines coming out of the master cylinder to bleed it but decided that I did not want to break something else so I decided to bleed all four brakes again. The second time around, I had my partner (wife) pump the brake pedal three times before depressing and holding, I would then open the bleeder screw for a few seconds and close. I did this 5-7 times per tire. This caused a lot more fluid to be pushed through the system and pushed a large air bubble out the driver’s side front caliper.

Interesting thing is the replaced caliper was the passenger side rear and air bubbles came out of this one (makes sense) and the front driver’s side. I thought I had read somewhere that the two brake lines coming off of the master cylinder are split diagonally (one is FR, RL and the other is FL, RR). If this is the case, having air come out the driver’s front caliper makes complete sense as it is fed from the same line off the master cylinder that the passenger side rear caliper is.

Also, don’t buy 0.25” ID hose, it is just a bit too big. The next smaller size at Home Depot was 0.17” which would have probably been better if not too small. I ended up having to burn one end of the 0.25” hose to close it up a little but still spilled more brake fluid than I would have liked to. This just caused me to clean up the brakes with some cleaner once I was done, no big thing but a frustration after 3 hours of bleeding.