SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 08:41 AM
powerdog

How Do I adjust my driver side window?

Hello,
Just finished putting on a new sleeve-lock regulator. My driver side window has always been somewhat out of alignment (as I believe this is why the sleeve-lock broke in the first place and it was slow going up beforehand especially when window gets to the top) but I want to adjust it (the window) now. When I activate the window down, it only goes down 2-3 inches and stops. Goes back up no problem but obviously it has been and is still out of line or something. I can disconnect the sleeve lock and pull window down manually. Is there an adjustment mechanism inside or could it be pushed/pulled in/out of the track or alignment? Replacing the sleeve lock, I had the first part of the door off but haven't opened the second part to get full view of the window/motor/regulator etc abd I can't really see the inside by looking down inside form the sill. Before I opened it up I wanted to ask about adjusting it so it moves freely in the track and maybe get some tips/suggestions if anybody can provide 'em. Thanks

Last edited by powerdog; 12-02-2005 at 08:47 AM. Reason: new info
Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Welcome to the site!

There are the fuzzy window guides that can be adjusted side-to-side. I believe I saw another adjustment while going through the service manuals for an in/out adjustment.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Sounds like the cable might be tangled up on the window motor pulley. Try popping the window motor out and have a look at it. If it goes up and down all the way smoothly by hand wiht the cable disconnected it is probably something to do with the cable or motor, not the resistance in the track. The motor is very strong.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:57 AM
powerdog

got the window motor out and cable is stuck

immortal_suby,
Hello, about a month ago you replied to one of my posts regarding adjusting SVX driver window. Popped out the window motor. Sure enough cable is wrapped around window motor pulley. Problem is I can't get it out since cable is wedged between pulley and (motor bracket?) pulley is attached to. Hmm...Options...cut cable, buy new cable?
buy new motor with new cable? (motor works fine)
tried to loosen screws holding pulley on...can't get 'em loose...maybe not made to be able to back out screws? Understand? Any ideas, suggestions?
Greatly appreciate anything
Old 12-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

It really shouldn't matter if the cable is kinked in the pulley. It's all part of the same assembly.

The whole assembly will come out. Release the Sleeve lock, and gently "finger" the glass down until it bottoms out. Release the electrical cable connector. Remove bolts on both top and bottom of the Window regulator, and tediously remove it from the bottom door outlet watching not to scratch the glass with a corner. I jack the car up on that side to give me more manuevering room.

It's a lot easier fixing your problem with the regulator outside the door, and they aren't hard at all to readjust once you reinstall it. I've had mine out a couple of times.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)

Last edited by Electrophil; 12-23-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:38 AM
powerdog

adjust window

Electrophil
Thanks much for reply. I can see cable goes from motor pulley to pulley on top of window and through sleeve lock and regulator etc as you said all one. Problem I have is that cable is wedged in motor pulley not regulator...are you saying pull regulator too? Not sure if that will help. What I am wondering is how the cable is attached to the motor pulley I guess. Since I am having a little trouble seeing it (since it is wrapped) I can't tell how cable is actually attached to motor pulley. I see the little (for loss of better word) fishing sinker attached to end of cable by motor pulley. I will work it a little more. Making slow progress but at least it's not cold today. If you can add anything else, please do. WIll check back very soon...like minutes if I get stuck again. Hate letting little things get in the way. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2005, 12:10 PM

PM'd ya!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:44 PM
powerdog

now I can see it after taking pic

Looks like cable is hung up on this little cable guide I'll call it. I may be screwed but time will tell...Can I get it out? we'll see. Don't know if you can see in pic. I didn't till I zoomed up on it. Appears that cable is attached (permanently I guess) to inside of pulley. It wraps around pulley once and then you can see it comes off the pulley and is jammed in there. I think I need to pull it out but risking breaking cable. Ugh.
SO much for my eyesight. Looks like what I called a cable guide is just frayed cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx cable stuck in pulley.JPG (305.4 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by powerdog; 12-23-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:52 PM

Looks kind of frazzled. You might be in for a new Regulator assembly.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:25 PM
powerdog

Yes I need at least a new cable

Yes I need at least a new cable. It's too meesed up to use. Question...does anybody know how the cable attaches to the power window motor? Local Subaru parts says cable comes with the regulator, but I don't need a regulator or a motor...All I need is the cable...but it appears that the cable where it attaches to the window motor goes "inside" the motor pulley. So I'll repeat...anybody know how to detach the cable from the power window motor? Many Thanks
Old 12-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
There is a lead "nugget" on the end of the cable that slides in from the side on the pulley IIRC.
I don't think you can buy just the cable. I pm'd you the part number for the regulator assembly.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:14 AM
powerdog

Thanks!

Just wanted to give a big Thanks to Electrophil for answering questions and pushing me to finish this job. You were a big help! Without you I may have given up and had the dealer do it...a fate worse than death!
Thanks again Electrophil. Also immortal suby. I'll be back...hopefully not real soon.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:01 PM

My 15 minutes of fame. I'm gloating!!

We had a PM-othon.