Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 AM
MisanthropyV

Chance to give opinion

Hey fellow members.

Some of you are aware of my desire to get more power from the EG33. Research is proving to be troublesome. To get more power I guess I could change the pistons for the EJ22 turbo pistons (not entirely sure this works yet...still researching) and bolt on a turbo, but...

...what do people think of the idea of dropping in a 2004 STi engine with 300bhp and 300lb/ft torque??? Sounds good yes???

Of cause there will have to be other changes made to the car, but just think of the benefits of having a smaller engine.

Power
Weight Distribution
Sound??? (hmmm, still keen on SVX sound)
Strength
Parts availability
Ability to modify without 'experimentation'
and more
and more

How feasible do you think this is??? ...or am I just dreaming again...It's going to be too expensive isn't it??? More expensive than the piston, ECU and turbo option, yes???

...Thought so...

Anyways. Please submit opinion...
Old 07-11-2005, 11:30 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I'm running 5.5-6 psi boost with the stock pistons and ecu in hot weather for a while now with no ill results.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Two words for you: "DO IT!!!!"

Seriously, the '04 2.5L STI engine would be sweet to drop into an SVX. Not sure about weight savings as there's the turbo manifold, uppipe, downpipe, BOV, turbocharger, etc to add in. Either way, it shouldn't be any heavier than the EG33 currently in your car.

-Chike

P.S. You are talking about the '04 USDM 2.5L STI engine and not the '04 JDM 2.0L STI version?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Blow for go!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you would be happy with the smaller engine, sure it has 300ft lb of torque, but at what rpm does it deliver it. What is the output at 2000 to 2500 on the road, nowhere near the present output. This is where you do most of you driving, the auto will keep it there, is isn't going to keep the engine on the boil, the engine has to suit the transmissions ratios and shift pattern. It will need a 5/6 speed manual box and lower diff ratios, to make the torque useable.

The cost of the unit and the work to fit it, not to mention the problems of adapting a ECU to run it, that will also be compatable with the SVX, can more than double, the inital cost of the engine.

You want power that is useable, any where in the rev range, that is only provided by more capacity. The easy way to obtain the increase is to buy the stage 3 blower kit that Mike has developed. This is a proven product, it fits, it produces at least 50% torque increase right across the rev range. Like at least 345 ftlbs peak. Off throttle, its a 'pussy cat'. starts, idles, normal, gets normal fuel consumption, floor the throttle at any rpms, instant go, no wating for the boost to spool up. The boost is controlable with the throttle, you can apply as much of the boost as you need.

Do I sound like I am a blower fan? I have built a few blown cars, they have been the most useable, trouble free, modifications of all, the jobs that I have done. The cost of the kit may seem high, but that is the total cost, no ongoing money pit, and if you want, you can resell the kit to somebody else and return the car to normal.

Just think of Sunday cruising around the headland, smoking the tyres.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
I would agree with Harvey and also the sheer cost of this would be through the roof!

I often thought, and still do, that if the lotto came up (Euromillions is up to 55 million!! About 110 million Aussie dollars!!) then an SVX would be off to ProDrive and I would settle for nothing less than a sequential gearbox, twin turbos or a whopping great supercharger 0-100kph in 5 seconds or under and damn the expense....

however

Mr Lotto has been very uncooperative and therefore I have to come back to reality.

The wave of torque that the SVX has is just brilliant - I would hate to loose that.

If you were keen on this, what I would suggest is a WRX conversion into a Vortex! Don't laugh! I came >-< this close to buying one a few years ago for $6000 (he had receipts for $14,000!! for the work) but didn't thinking that I would not know how to fix it....pretty silly actually, but anyways.....we went for a drive in it and it was an absolute rocketship...think of the lighter Vortex with full WRX running gear (engine, gearbox, drivetrain)....it tore down the road and just left me laughing in that 'we are going to die' sort of manner

There are a few around that come up for sale so that may allow best of the both worlds?? The guy selling it used to love it when a Rex or someother 'performance' car would come alongside and laugh/comment about the Vortex (most people think they are a joke in Oz - I think they are great!) and then just wave 'bye bye'

*memories of SVXing....agggggggggggggggh*

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Cheers

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 07-12-2005, 03:19 AM
SVX Appeal

I'm a pretty big fan of superchargers, but I'm at odds with the idea of doing it to an SVX. I don't think it suits the car. A blower just screams "drag race me!" That's just not what kind of car the SVX is. The SVX is very much a touring car. It longs to cruise down the highway at 100mph. I think just about everybody knows what I'm talking about when I say that it just begs to go a little faster. You can feel it gently tugging at the reigns.

For the very same reason, I think there's something else very well suited to the SVX: The transmission. Yes, the unreliable, slow-to-accelerate, automatic transmission really feels appropriate for the SVX. It has some obvious inadequacies, but the one thing it does very well is touring. You can be passing traffic at 2500 RPM and should you need a little more torque, the lockup disengages and at a mild 2900 RPM it pulls even harder.

To me, putting in a five-speed transmission and / or a blower really transforms the car. It's an awkward transformation though, because the car wasn't meant to be a fire-breathing, American iron-crushing, quarter mile menace. In my opinion, the perfect SVX would have about 350 turbocharged horses, and a four or five speed automatic transmission built to take it. That seems to me what the designers dreamt of.

The way I see it, the alternative is to supercharge it, put in a manual transmission, milk 400 plus horsepower out of it, and turn it into a tire-disposal machine. It's gotta be one way or the other. Luxury touring, or track demon. Pick one. I think the five-speed conversions are neat, and the modest horsepower increases are also pretty cool, but the end result seems like a car with an identity crisis. It's like a Ferrari with a bench seat and trailer hitch, or a Jaguar with NOS and a wheelie bar. Either of those things are certainly cool, but it seems like it ought to be against the rules. In some way it feels like it upsets the balance of the universe, disrupts the Zen of automobiledom, or throws off my groove, heaven forbid.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: