Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2001, 09:39 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Thumbs up

I've noticed that a lot of people ask about tires for their SVX. I'd just like to put a plug in for Cooper tires. They were about the same cost as what I've seen posted here for other brands. (I can't give you exact numbers, I had them thrown in with the car deal, but we did check and they were the cheapest high speed rated tires that we found locally.) After 2 years they still look like new, granted in that two year period we have only put 11k on the car. They are very quiet compared to the bridgestone tires that came from the factory. I was a bit disappointed in the snow, but that wasn't normal driving, (I got stuck in my back yard), but on the snow and ice on the roads I was as satisfied as one can be with an all season tire.

Bottom line I guess, when doing a tire search on the net, don't forget to check on Cooper prices, I'm happy with them.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:38 AM
Headed to Texas...

<<very quiet compared to the bridgestone tires>>

Just for everyone's info, the Bridgestone RE-71's (the factory "summer" tire referred to in the R&T Guide) are EXTREMELY noisy. It may be an excellent performer, but a little loud IMHO.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 04-25-2001, 12:12 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
we should have an ongoing poll and tabulate experiences
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 04-25-2001, 12:50 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by htyei
we should have an ongoing poll and tabulate experiences
Hmmm...might work, but as you know this is a very small percentage of SVX owners here. The only reason why I know that the Bridgestone tires were noisy is that I have had the opportunity to drive SVX's since they were first introduced. So the poll might be a bit skewed. Not to mention that SVX's are very particular about alignment specs, that can cause premature tire wear and invalidate a tire poll because it isn't the tires fault that they didn't last the full advertised 40k miles.

Good thought though, how many of us have purchased tires for our cars, show of hands please.
Old 04-25-2001, 02:39 PM
zsvx

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000
Good thought though, how many of us have purchased tires for our cars, show of hands please.
I just recently put some Yokohama AVS dB tires on the SVX. They are a great tire but my judgement might be a little skewed after using those Bridgestone RE95s for as long as I did.
Old 04-25-2001, 03:36 PM
Lowered SVX

nitto

i have already mentioned in a tire update thread that the nitto 450 extreme tires are working really well for me. the noise is minimal grip is great and they look really good too.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 04-25-2001, 07:19 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Thumbs up Cool!

htyei that member animation of yours is GREAT! I wish I knew enough about these computers to do stuff like that! Way to go...

PS I am quite happy with Dunlop D60-A2's.
Don
Old 04-25-2001, 09:10 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
thanks svxphile!

I jsut bought kumho ECSTA Supra 712's today
replaced my dunlop sp8000 which i hated.

BTW I feel like dunlop paid everyone off, I called like 15 tire shops, and they all recommended the sp8000's
first or after I rejected spenidng more than 150 a tire
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 04-26-2001, 08:05 AM
lightning_8669

<<I jsut bought kumho ECSTA Supra 712's today
replaced my dunlop sp8000 which i hated. >>

I'm hoping you don't mean SP5000. I replaced a set of Michelin Pilots last fall with a set of Dunlop SP5000. The Michelins were quieter than the SP5000's but sucked in the rain and snow. I like the 5000's in all conditions but they do make noise. For a tire to have good wet and snow traction the tread blocks get spaced farther apart and that is what causes some of the noise. I just turn up the radio. Unfortunately it snows here and I'm too cheap to buy two sets of tires. And besides, it can (and does) snow here from October to May.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000
I bought the car with Dunlop D60-A2s. I liked them so much I bought them again.

I also have a set of Nokian Hakkapelliita NRWs on steel wheels. Because I'm an idiot, I didn't get these on the car this winter, so I can't tell you how they did. The NRW was *the* tire to have in VT, though.

END OF LINE

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-26-2001, 10:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to fjm57
Registered SVX
I purchased some Dunlop SP5000s last summer and I am very pleased with them. The are a lot quieter than the Yokahamas I replaced and handle well wet or dry.

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
-Bertrand Russell -
Old 04-26-2001, 10:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Love my tires

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE950's. They came on the car and through a long complicated story ended up with four new ones. I'm glad for that story 'cause I like the tires. Although they are a lower speed rating, H, they are great in all my driving.

This winter I blasted up the 2 mile long steep uphill road in 5inches (YES 5 INCHES) of unplowed snow. Two Explorers and a 4x4 Ford where behind me, but no where near my bumper. GREAT fun!

Now it's Spring and it rains. No problem. These tires love it.

I've had them up to the 'top end' of the SVX's speed range and they hold great. No worries.

In short, they are wonderful in the snow, rain and dry pavement. The H rating makes them last longer for some small hit in performance, which I haven't felt. And they don't empty your bank account to boot.

Here's a review: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...=Potenza+RE950
Old 04-26-2001, 11:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxboy
Tires

My roomates girlfriend has the Nokian Hackapallitas on her car and man I tell ya, those are the best darn winter tires ever made. I have the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4. Good wearing tire. With about 40,000 mi on them, they are half worn. Good all year around performer, but a little on the loud side on certain types of roads. -Greg
92 Teal SVX LS, Superwhite headlamps and front turn signals, Premier DEX-P1R Deck, A/D/S P850 and Earthquake 200DHC amps, PG Bass Cube, 3-10 in. Diamond Audio subs, A/D/S 346is front components, and Vifa rear 6x9's. B&M tranny cooler and temp. gauge. Flowmaster custom dual exhaust, Tenzo-R conical intake filter, JC Sports torque chip, and a Mid-Height wing for an Integra that fits perfectly and stands 6.5 in. tall. ART front and rear cryo/slotted rotors, SS brake lines and EBC "Green Stuff" pads. My email address= fastestsvx@yahoo.com
Old 04-26-2001, 07:18 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Winter tires

My choice for winter tires here in the mountains has been Dunlop Graspic's. This was the third winter for them and they are wearing very well. I even had to use them for a short time two summers ago when I hit a pothole and ruined my rightside wheels and tires on the SVX. Very quiet for a winter tire also. My wife's Impreza was switched over to Yokohama Guardex tires this year when her Blizzaks wore out, and my Swift GT runs on Blizzaks also.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:31 PM
Hitchhikin'

I loved the Bridgestone RE71's, just because of their great traction in the dry.... but in the wet... it's very scary.... I didn't really mind, because I drive like a maniac in the dry, but drive like a grandma in the rain. But they've got great traction, and they were affordable for that level of performance, IMHO.