How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-28-2005, 03:49 PM
clarkerussell

$440 later, all is fixed...

As much as I hated to do it, I paid the dealer (Classic Subaru in Orlando) to take care of the noise. I had 800+ miles to drive, and my sanity was worth that price. They said both my rear bearings were bad, but the left rear was the one that was HORRIBLY bad. Since it was doulbe the price, I decided to just do the one that was totally gone. I'll do the other soon.

Regardless, they charged me the regular price of $78.02 for the bearing, $10.70 and $8.83 for the seals, $4.37 for the axle nut, and $5 for overnight shipping. The labor was $308 and Tax was $26.97 for a total of $441.89... Not too bad I guess... That's about a $150 premium for having the dealer do it instead of a local shop (about $200 labor and a 25% discount on parts from subaruparts.com)...

Overall I'm pleased with their service advisor and assistance, but I am confused about the taxes in Florida. I knew parts needed to be taxed, but I didn't think that labor was taxable. Perhaps it's a Florida thing....

Now I need to prepare for a right rear bearing replacement and plethora of engine seal replacements. How hard is it to replace the rear bearings, and how much time should I allocate to it? Thanks!

Clarke
Old 01-29-2005, 09:37 AM

Lightbulb If it is even CLOSE to a 60K time to replace your timing belt...

...get it all done at once! The water pump, hoses s/b replaced, the front cam & crank seals, the oil pump re-sealed, etc. can (& should, IMHO) be done at the same time the timing belt is being replaced ( I'm presuming around 120K miles?) since they are all there up in front, anyway... The labor to get to the cam seals is about the same whether you replace one or all of them!

I paid an INDY shop about $800 for the above and they replaced my radiator (I provided the radiator) at the same time. Good to go another 60 thousand miles or so, one hopes... I bet if you had the other bearing done at the same time you could get the price for that work down in the more reasonable $250-300 range for parts & labor: funny, that's what the internal warranty charge was for rearwheel bearing replacement for years and years! $308 labor is pretty damn high for one wheel bearing, IMHO.

Good Luck!

Norm
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 01-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Total failure

My parents had a rear bearing completely fail on a Renault many years ago as they were going to Cork to a funeral. The rear wheel passed them out on the road, it fell off the hub!

Nobody hurt, they got it fixed, and went on their way.

I myself had a rear wheel bearing go on my Honda VFR 750 motorcycle in the south of England on the motorway. Pretty scary. The bike shook it's head like a bronc at a rodeo. I had to move over three lanes without dropping the machine, or I would be dead under a lot of fast traffic.

Got it fixed, and we continued the tour.

Moral of the stories:
If I hear a wheel bearing noise, I get it fixed.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl