Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-16-2004, 04:10 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
Auto X-ing

How do i go about getting into "competitive" auto crossing? Is there a such thing? if anyone wants to give me some good info, just message me. Thanks again
Pat
Old 02-16-2004, 04:15 PM
YodaIsGod

www.scca.org

look for events in you area. show up and start asking questions. see if you can hitch a ride or two during some fun runs.
Buy your own helmet!

oh yeah...read a bit of this.....

http://moutons.org/sccasolo/

the stock SVX is in G Stock in SCCA (which most local clubs go by)
Once you put the car in Street Mod...you'll get you ass kicked.

take a few course at the Evolution Driving school
http://www.autocross.com/evolution/top.shtml

start reading Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Last edited by YodaIsGod; 02-16-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:59 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
how do they define "street mod"? i am really interested in getting into this
Thanks Again
P
Old 02-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I'll PM ya but for others who may wanna give it a try basically you have the reading SCCA and the susquehanna SCCA in our neck of the woods. Reading usually holds their events at maple grove (about 5 miles from where we have the reading meet). Susquehanna is usually at Penn National or Hershey Park. Both tend to have Sunday morning set ups that last until about 2pm for a 3-4 pass and then your work. Their schedules for this year have just come out on their websites. Really I've found that the SVX isn't the most comp. vehicle in most courses. My XT is classed in H stock (against lesser comp) and personally I can get it around the course faster than I can the SVX. Really unless it is a wide open course I tend to run with the novice stock WRX drivers as well.

This year I'm a little more serious with some decent tires rather than 3 different generic brands. Here's what I would recommend that you do in the meantime to get the car ready... in the order I'd recommend it.
1. CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!!
2. Get a cigarette powered air pump or a tank to increase you're pressure when you get there.
3. A helment with the newest Snell rating on it you can find. I.E. M2000 or SA2000. M means motorcycle which is fine for autoxing but not for acutal racing if you take it to a track. A M helmet is much cheaper. I paid $60 or so for mine new on Ebay.
3. New pads up front if they are fairly worn. I run standard mid grade pep boys as I've yet to find a decent wearing pad for the XT but would recomment Hawk for yours.
4. A set of tires and wheels for racing. I got some Falken Azenis online for a song for the XT. You'll kill yours fast if they are the stock tires. One autox in the SVX took a good 1/4 inch of the cornes of mine.
5. Front rotors front rotors front rotors. I have a source that quoted me like $60 or so a rotor for the SVX. This is why I like the XT as I get Cavalier rotors at Pep Boys for $12 a piece.

That should about do it for your first year or so.