Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-21-2001, 09:37 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Post Flag etiquette

I came across these this morning, just thought I'd post for a refresher FYI for anyone interested...

Star-Spangled Manners

Demand for American flags is high and people have a renewed interest in displaying them at home. The United States Flag Code contains specific instructions on how the flag should and should not be used. Here are some examples:

• Unless illuminated at night, flags displayed outdoors should only be flown from sunrise to sunset.

• The flag should not be flown on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all-weather flag is used.

• The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff should be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

• When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag’s own right, that is, to the observer’s left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way.

• When used on a speaker’s platform, the flag, if displayed flat, should be displayed above and behind the speaker.

• The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff.

• The flag should never be displayed upside down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

• The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water or merchandise.

• The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.

• The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

• The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying or delivering anything.

• The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever.

• The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. Contact your local American Legion or VFW post for information on flag-burning ceremonies, which are often held on June 14, which is Flag Day.

SOURCE: The American Legion
Old 09-21-2001, 10:21 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Flag etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
I came across these this morning, just thought I'd post for a refresher FYI for anyone interested...

Star-Spangled Manners

Demand for American flags is high and people have a renewed interest in displaying them at home. The United States Flag Code contains specific instructions on how the flag should and should not be used. Here are some examples:

• Unless illuminated at night, flags displayed outdoors should only be flown from sunrise to sunset.

• The flag should not be flown on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all-weather flag is used.

• The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff should be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

• When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag’s own right, that is, to the observer’s left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way.

• When used on a speaker’s platform, the flag, if displayed flat, should be displayed above and behind the speaker.

• The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff.

• The flag should never be displayed upside down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

• The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water or merchandise.

• The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.

• The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

• The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying or delivering anything.

• The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever.

• The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. Contact your local American Legion or VFW post for information on flag-burning ceremonies, which are often held on June 14, which is Flag Day.

SOURCE: The American Legion
Thank you for posting this, "Mac" -- I've been concerned about the misrepresentation of the flag since all this began. Yes, we want to display our colors, but, we should do it in a way that's respectful. Just like in the German Olympics prior to World War II. Hitler had asked everyone to "dip" their national flag as they passed the reviewing stand where he sat. Out of all of the nations that passed the stand, there was ONE flag that did not dip. I'll let you "guess" which one.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-21-2001, 10:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Flag etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Thank you for posting this, "Mac" -- I've been concerned about the misrepresentation of the flag since all this began. Yes, we want to display our colors, but, we should do it in a way that's respectful. Just like in the German Olympics prior to World War II. Hitler had asked everyone to "dip" their national flag as they passed the reviewing stand where he sat. Out of all of the nations that passed the stand, there was ONE flag that did not dip. I'll let you "guess" which one.
An interesting story...I didn't know that...

Anyway, if people have displayed or continue to display the flag incorrectly, I'm not about to get up in arms over it. There's a big, fat line between disrespect and simply not knowing.

I've seen flags displayed incorrectly for a week and a half now and they're flown with just as much pride as anyone else.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-21-2001, 10:41 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Flag etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

An interesting story...I didn't know that...

Anyway, if people have displayed or continue to display the flag incorrectly, I'm not about to get up in arms over it. There's a big, fat line between disrespect and simply not knowing.

I've seen flags displayed incorrectly for a week and a half now and they're flown with just as much pride as anyone else.
Up in arms . . . hmmmm. I don't doubt anyone's pride and no, I'm not going to curse at people who "don't know." But, now that WE know, we should honor the flag as we know how. I've been as guilty of showing disrespect for the flag as anyone (Stars and stripes boxers took the place of zebra stripes in the 70's -- bandanas made from small flags, etc) in my "younger days" and did it knowingly. Now that I've "sold out to the establishment," I, personally, want to do things properly.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI