Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-18-2003, 12:23 AM
6evil9

Tranny problems, pls help, i know u can :)

Yo!

ok another problem, my tranny acts weird

its been rebuild in 2001, and done round 100,000Kms since then

ok when i bought the car, 3-4 months ago it was sweet as

but now i had 2-3 times weird acting
1) going on motorway at 100kmh, i pressed accelerator to da end and what happeend my revs went till 6,000 and my speedo went to 180kmh immidiately while the car was not accelerating
that was scary and weird
i deaccelerated to 70kmh and drove easy, next day car was sweet
month later, ie today, the tranny started to be weird when changing gears, it changed from 2nd to 3rd then it felt like it was on neutral for few secs(revs up to 3,500 with no acceleration of the car) and then all sweet

i dragged the car few times and no visible slipping of tranny or noise..but it kinda feels there is some kinda slipping in the tranny..
i dunno, confused :S

i've read that posts bout "TPS" and some adjacements, but dont know what u r talking bout guys, im new to all that

any help appriciated
Old 06-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Tranny problems, pls help, i know u can :)

Quote:
Originally posted by 6evil9
Yo!

ok another problem, my tranny acts weird

its been rebuild in 2001, and done round 100,000Kms since then

ok when i bought the car, 3-4 months ago it was sweet as

but now i had 2-3 times weird acting
1) going on motorway at 100kmh, i pressed accelerator to da end and what happeend my revs went till 6,000 and my speedo went to 180kmh immidiately while the car was not accelerating
that was scary and weird
i deaccelerated to 70kmh and drove easy, next day car was sweet
month later, ie today, the tranny started to be weird when changing gears, it changed from 2nd to 3rd then it felt like it was on neutral for few secs(revs up to 3,500 with no acceleration of the car) and then all sweet

i dragged the car few times and no visible slipping of tranny or noise..but it kinda feels there is some kinda slipping in the tranny..
i dunno, confused :S

i've read that posts bout "TPS" and some adjacements, but dont know what u r talking bout guys, im new to all that

any help appriciated
Hi Kiwi,

I reckon the band needs adjusting. It works in second and top and sounds like it is slipping.

Take it to a Auto trans Shop, get adjusted before is burns up too much and needs rebuilding. It's not a big job.

Don't know how the speedo got to show 180kph? It is driven off the left hand side, of the front diff.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Tranny problems, pls help, i know u can :)

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

Hi Kiwi,

I reckon the band needs adjusting. It works in second and top and sounds like it is slipping.

Take it to a Auto trans Shop, get adjusted before is burns up too much and needs rebuilding. It's not a big job.

Don't know how the speedo got to show 180kph? It is driven off the left hand side, of the front diff.

Harvey.
Speed sensor #1 is in the front diff, and that's where the speedo reads the vehicle speed from. I wonder if something could be wrong with the tranny that would cause it to slip and spin the speed sensor when it does...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-18-2003, 05:53 PM
6evil9

aye?

So what should be adjusted? coz i honestly dont feel like rebuilding my tranny in nearest future, its too expensive!!

so any more details? at least if i talk to mechanic, i would know what im saying and what he s saying...
thx
Sergi
Old 06-19-2003, 06:18 PM
6evil9

but

ok so if i assume that my tranny is still alive, any way to check it?
any way to check, reset or adjust the transmition control system?

someone said something bout adjusting the tranny to get rid of possible slippage?

thx

Sergi
Old 06-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: but

Quote:
ok so if i assume that my tranny is still alive, any way to check it?
any way to check, reset or adjust the transmition control system?

someone said something bout adjusting the tranny to get rid of possible slippage?

thx

Sergi
Responded by PM.

Harvey.

Old 06-19-2003, 06:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
I believe they are talking about an adjustment you can make in the transmission itself. I believe its just a screw correct??( really dont konw just from what I've read on here) I think its basically a screw that you turn one way and the transmission shifts firmer, turn it the other way it starts to slip. Im sure its much more involved and complicated than that, nor do i know if that is even close to correct just stating what i think i've learned over the past months on this board. If this is incorrect or someone can explain exactly what the band does that woudl be great, cause i always liek to learn more about my baby...
Old 06-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Brake band.

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
I believe they are talking about an adjustment you can make in the transmission itself. I believe its just a screw correct??( really dont konw just from what I've read on here) I think its basically a screw that you turn one way and the transmission shifts firmer, turn it the other way it starts to slip. Im sure its much more involved and complicated than that, nor do i know if that is even close to correct just stating what i think i've learned over the past months on this board. If this is incorrect or someone can explain exactly what the band does that woudl be great, cause i always liek to learn more about my baby...
The brake band is applied to allow 2nd gear and 4th gear to work.

With the clutches that are in the box as they were on the facings the hydraulic pressure just pushes them further to compensate for the wear.

The band is a strap band that wraps around the front sun gears hub, to hold it still. It is applied by a hydraulic cylinder. As the facings of the band wear the cylinder runs out of movement to apply the band tightly so the front sun gear is not held still it slips.

There is an adjustment on the outside of the box above the dipstick tube, its a ***** to get to, but a few people have adjusted it ok with good results. The screw has a lock nut to hold it, back the nut off and tighten the screw to 6.5 ft-lbs then back off the screw three full turns and lock up the lock nut.

Words of warning.
The adjusting screw pushes against a strut piece to push the band. If you back off the screw too much, the strut can fall out of position, and the box will have to come out to put it back.

I would recommend that a qualified person do the job to be safe.

How do you know when to do it?
Any rise in rpm when changing into 2nd or 4th is the fist sign. If this happens don't allow it to slip, lift the foot to allow it to grip. Get it adjusted ASAP to save a rebuild.

I think Subaru has a lot to answer for, in not having this band adjustment, listed as a service maintance job. There has been a lot of auto boxes bite the dust, and a lot of wasted money and reputation caused by this omission.

Harvey.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:31 PM
6evil9

wow

Thx Harvey, i guess it was best explanation i ve met on this forum so far
and it makes sence now
what iv noticed, when i drive on 4th on a motorway, my revs are 2500-2600 at 110Km/h
but sometimes they fall down to 2200-2300 which is what it should be i think...

well something wrong with tranny but its not dead yet, so i guess ill give it proper care asap, and wont drag the car

ill talk to Trevor, he mite know and prolly see it, i hope

Anyways, thx alot Harvey, u r legend
Old 06-19-2003, 11:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Re: wow

Quote:
what iv noticed, when i drive on 4th on a motorway, my revs are 2500-2600 at 110Km/h
but sometimes they fall down to 2200-2300 which is what it should be i think...
That's normal, as the drop in rpm occurs when the torque converter locks up.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 06-20-2003, 01:10 AM
6evil9

which means ?

what does that mean? torque converter?

well in my case, it keeps 2500-2600 in 95% of time while driving at 110Kph which is what my mums 1.8liter primera have at the same speed, and i think its too much and something is wrong...

no economy button for me

Old 06-20-2003, 06:54 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The torque convert locks up only after the tranny gets warmed up. For this reason the highway engine revs vary. Do you know how to tell when it's locked? From a light throttle, step lightly on the throttle a little bit more and the engine rev's will stay locked in ratio to the ground speed.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX
Hi Sergi,

If what you stated with reference to the speedo indication is correct something non mechanical is involved. This could not indicate slip in the drive train that is for sure.

You state that the revs went to 6,000 and the speedo to 180 km/h. Did the engine actually reach those revs or did the taco simply read this figure ? I guess you did not suddenly reach 180 km/h in real speed !!!!

You clearly state that the problem is intermittent and all of this does not indicate mechanical slippage as described by Harvey. There is every indication of an electrical fault if what you have described is correct. Good news is that this may not be so expensive.

You show that you have a clue or two by suspecting the TPS. We can check that easily at no cost and you could very well have diagnosed your problem or if not be on the right track.

I look forward to your phone call and a meeting. I will be pleased to assist in any way possible. Fingers crossed meantime !

Trevor. *<) will explain my Ò *<) Ò when we meet.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!