SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2003, 05:07 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Interest in Hahn Racecraft Turbo Kit for the SVX

Hey everyone. Earlier this year at the neon convention, Hahn Racecraft was nice enough to open the doors to their facilities and show us around. It was all extremely impressive stuff; they build everything themselves, right in their buildings. Right now they produce turbo kits for motorcycles, neons, cavaliers, and mitsu eclipses. They're all pretty affordable kits, and they all produce some good power. Seeing as how they make kits for motorcycles, domestics, and imports, they aren't narrow minded and focusing on just one brand of car. I talked to them earlier and they said they were interested in making a turbo kit for the WRX. Anyway, seeing as how currently, there are NO turbo kits for the SVX, and there are quite a few for the WRX, if they produced a turbo kit of reasonable quality and reasonable price, I'm positive that almost every one of us would want one. So basically, the purpose of this thread is to gauge interest in getting a turbo kit made for us by Hahn Racecraft, and if there are enough responses, I will get in touch with them and point them to this thread.

So, just hypothetically here, lets say they produced a kit that came with all necessary parts, and all you did was bolt it on (or pay someone to install it if you're a wuss). It would raise your horsepower to ABOVE 300hp, and it would cost about 3000 dollars. Does this sound reasonable to everyone? Hahn Racecraft is a proven company, pushing neons well under 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile, yet still having daily driven dependability.

So who's interested???

Maybe they could even make a stage 2 kit, with an intercooler that would bump up the power to 375 or so.

If you have the money laying around, and would buy it immeadiatly if it were available, say so. If its something you think you would want really badly, and be interested in buying if it became available, say so. If you need more information, say so.

Thanks!

- Rob
Old 11-04-2003, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
No Turbo??

I thought Motorsport warehouse had a kit they sold?

Non the less I am interested in getting a turbo, however it will be some time before Im ready. I plan to increase the fuel systems and ECU's ability before considering a turbo. The two biggest limiting factors on the car in my opinion is space and fuel flow. Increasing the abiliyies ofthe fuel sys and ECU will allow for rhe use of larger turbos. As for space I have a 94L which means it lacks the ABS System by the ait filter box. Nice big hole for something.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Okay, no more responses like that. We all know about 'that' turbo kit, and it has been proven to SUCK. Like, nobody is even sure if you GAIN any HP or not. So once again, I refer you to the question above:

Would you be interested? Remember, I will send this link to them... actually, if you guys want to see examples of the companys work and what they've accomplished, go to www.hahnracecraft.com

- Rob
Old 11-04-2003, 06:17 PM
hotshoe50

turbo power

Hi again,

i always seem to be the negative side of this ledger....

The SVX is way too heavy and underbraked to say NOTHING about having an inadequate transmission to handle the job with a TURBO....

If you want to fly, get a VR4 and FLY with twin turbos....if you want beautiful luxury cruising and better than average power and a gorgeous interior (I just had mine reupholstered in gray and black leather) then the SVX is the most beautiful car...

Time has shown that the wheels bearings, brakes and transmission cannot handle the stock power, SO GET^ OVER IT!!!!

The SVX is not a dragster, not a road racer, its a luxo-cruiser
when will you guys get the message { from FUJI heavy industries, incidently} not me

Richard
Old 11-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
If I had the money and the kit worked out 300+ HP with out bad side effects. I would buy it tomaro. $3000 is not that bad.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Re: turbo power

Quote:
Originally posted by hotshoe50
snip
Hi. Apparently you cannot ****ing read. This is not about voicing your opinions about turbocharging the SVX, it is about whether or not you're intrested in a turbo kit. Obviously you aren't so please do us all a favor and shut the hell up. Thanks and have a happy day!

>SIGH!!!!!!!<

- Rob
Old 11-04-2003, 07:11 PM

Cram it

Quote:
Originally posted by hotshoe50
Hi again,

i always seem to be the negative side of this ledger....

The SVX is way too heavy and underbraked to say NOTHING about having an inadequate transmission to handle the job with a TURBO....

If you want to fly, get a VR4 and FLY with twin turbos....if you want beautiful luxury cruising and better than average power and a gorgeous interior (I just had mine reupholstered in gray and black leather) then the SVX is the most beautiful car...

Time has shown that the wheels bearings, brakes and transmission cannot handle the stock power, SO GET^ OVER IT!!!!

The SVX is not a dragster, not a road racer, its a luxo-cruiser
when will you guys get the message { from FUJI heavy industries, incidently} not me

Richard

So when are you going to get the clue that you can modify anything made as long as your willing to invest the time, money and research. No The SVX is not a dragster, not a road racer. However that doesnt mean it cant be made into one. If someone wants to modify their car who are you the complain about it? It's their car. They payed for it, and its there money they are investing in it. If your not interested in it fine. Corvettes arent designed to be an offroad vehicle with 43in tires, but Ive see 3. Pintos were designed to be cheap desposible cars not dragsters. I've seen a few at the strip with big blocks and blowers. Some poeple believe in keeping things origional, some like to find ways to improve on the design. I'm caught in between. I like to see modded and classic origionals. When I got my SVX, I was looking for something I could drive and modd. An Eclipes, 3000GT, ect. I just happened to find a great deal on a low mileage SVX. When Irealized how rare it was, Iwas torn. I has great performance capabilities and in my opinion great potential. But because it was a rare car I was considering not tampering with it. After months of debate, I desided to do some moddes. I desided that I would not get rid of this car and therefor I was no longer worried about lowering the collectors value. I cant stand people that shoot down other peoples creative process. That goes for you people that shoot down the "Ricers" too. Everyone has different opinions. Your frankin mothers ever teach you people "If you dont have anything good to say than dont say anything at all.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:22 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Rob,

I would be interested in a 300 HP turbo kit at $3000, but I don't think it can be done. Too many things need to be changed to make it work. The stock injectors are maxed out at around 275 HP. The parallel fuel rail mod is advisable. Either a new MAF or a split air intake system would need to be devised. A complete header-back exhaust system would need to be devised. A hotter spark may be necessary (but no one has proven that yet). Even at 5 psi, an intercooler would be necessay. And the big kicker is that a replacement ecu would most likely be necessary. The alternative to a replacement ecu would be some means to pull back the timing based on boost level, and that in itself wouldn't be cheap, and the car probably still wouldn't run well in closed-loop because the stock ecu would contantly be trying to revise its map as the boost level varied in closed-loop. I guess you could use something like an Apexi AVC-R to keep the boost low during closed loop, but then the AVC-R costs money, and by the time you bought one of those and something to pull back the timing, you might as well have bought a replacement ecu. And then someone has to tune the whole mess.

That's how I see it. Dare I say that I'm declaring your post rates high on the BS meter??? :-) With that said, if Hahn can build a solid kit for $3K, I'm there if I don't already have my own custom turbo.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
bla bla bla bla
Those are valid points, but unfortunately I do not build turbo kits for a living, and lack the knowledge to answer your questions. I will ask you this: Which do you think has more potential? A neon engine? Or the H6. Considering they get RELIABLE 250hp and up from just bolting on the turbo kit, I'm sure they can work something out for our engines.

BUT, they would only do that if we were interested.

- Rob
Old 11-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Rob,

I would be interested in a 300 HP turbo kit at $3000, but I don't think it can be done. Too many things need to be changed to make it work. The stock injectors are maxed out at around 275 HP. The parallel fuel rail mod is advisable. Either a new MAF or a split air intake system would need to be devised. A complete header-back exhaust system would need to be devised. A hotter spark may be necessary (but no one has proven that yet). Even at 5 psi, an intercooler would be necessay. And the big kicker is that a replacement ecu would most likely be necessary. The alternative to a replacement ecu would be some means to pull back the timing based on boost level, and that in itself wouldn't be cheap, and the car probably still wouldn't run well in closed-loop because the stock ecu would contantly be trying to revise its map as the boost level varied in closed-loop. I guess you could use something like an Apexi AVC-R to keep the boost low during closed loop, but then the AVC-R costs money, and by the time you bought one of those and something to pull back the timing, you might as well have bought a replacement ecu. And then someone has to tune the whole mess.

That's how I see it. Dare I say that I'm declaring your post rates high on the BS meter??? :-) With that said, if Hahn can build a solid kit for $3K, I'm there if I don't already have my own custom turbo.
you didn't read the first post - it will just bolt right on.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Yes, it will. Hahn has always offered COMPLETE kits, which means everything you need to get it working, and working well (and reliably). If they deem it necessary we need new fuel rails, we'll probably get a set of those in the kit also.

Check out the site: www.hahnracecraft.com

It's a really really good company, and I'd love it if they made turbo systems for our cars.

- Rob
Old 11-05-2003, 07:11 AM
Network Design Administrator

I would be willing and interested...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:36 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

Those are valid points, but unfortunately I do not build turbo kits for a living, and lack the knowledge to answer your questions. ....

- Rob
I feel the BS meter is going off the scale... You should know what you're talking about before you post stuff like this. Isn't that what you always say? I'm calling you on your BS.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:17 AM
bthomas

mikecg, you are the man.. Your post was dead on.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bthomas
mikecg, you are the man.. Your post was dead on.
Sorry if I went over the top. I dont like people telling me what I can and cant do. I believe anything is possible if you put your mind to it. How many people do you think told the Wright brothers that people werent ment to fly?