Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I haven't read thru all of this but I am wondering if anyone has actually used a 'real' measuring device to check the end-play. I've seen too many guys that should know better guess wrong when it comes to estimating how much something is moving. I'm thinking of old Fords with upper arm loaded ball joints - they had a .160" axial movement spec and you would swear up and down that the clearance appeared to be in excess of 3/8". When measured with a dial indicator many would barely make .10". Too easy to measure correctly and too easy to guess wrong, especially considering the money at stake.

p.s. A 'not totally engaged' convertor generally will break the front pump gear long before the thrust bearing becomes an issue. If the car even mojos at all when installed incorrectly it is only a short matter of time before the gear, that was never intended to be loaded in that fashion, gives way. Keyword is 'generally'....nothing is absolute, except that tax cuts never come close to tax hikes.

Last edited by Beav; 10-26-2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
I assume that the only real way to measure it is with a micrometer? There is a definite click when the crank pulley is pulled to the front of the engine or pushed to the back...Is there an acceptable amount of play for the crankshaft???
Old 10-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
i would say no more than 1/8th of an inch but i am not a certified tech. i am just a shade tree mech. But if what u said about 1/4 inc is true, you are more than likely correct that you have crank walked you engine. Depending on where u live, i know someone with a few enines fs.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A dial indicator would be the tool of choice but feeler gauges would suffice also. Shazam, if it is actually close to a 1/4" a yardstick would work!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Peach

bearing

If the #5 bearing flange was damaged from lateral force it is likely that the bearing itself would move in the engine case, and be leaking oil as the SVX has healthy oil pressure. This was common on the old V.W. blocks. Lateral force would actually hammer the bearing to the point that one could wiggle the bearing in the block. If, after measuring end play on the crank, it is found to be reasonably serviceable, I'd go back to a bigger rotating source, the press plate, t.o. bearing and it's fork. Considering the heartache of total componet failure, I try to think positive.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:09 PM

ok i just bought a mic. and measured it as best i could and every time i measured i came up with 2 on the dial. I found this by pushing the crank pulley to the back of the engine and then measuring the amount of the crank that was measureable, however when pushed back towards the front of the engine the crank only decreased by .5 so the dial was 1.5. Does this sound like its out of tolerances???Or possibly am i measuring wrong? I've never used a micrometer before today...
Old 10-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Maniac modifier

inches??????? thats a half inch man. thats way too much. check the setting and see if it is in inches or not.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:03 PM

Thats the marking inbetween the inch mark. So i think 2 means 1/5in. and 1.5 would mean the difference b/w or the amount being moved is only 1/20in. correct??? Like i said i've never used one before...I'll have to read the directions when i get some time....

Last edited by want-a-fast-svx; 10-26-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Peach

crank end play

wanta,
Crankshaft end play for the eg33 is .0012-.0045 so 4 and a half thousands would be the normal max. Other subie engines max at .0037 so the SVX gives almost another thousands. Most mics measure in thousands, "all mics." Good luck!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Hmm i was looking at the ruler and where it was at when the two points were at the ends of the crank. I take it i should be looking at the dial instead?
Old 10-26-2004, 05:52 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Can you get any pics of the micrometer measurement? One pic showing the starting starting measurement, and one pic showing the end final measurement.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:32 AM

yup will do and will get pics of the back of the engine out and the back of the engine with the crank in. I have the other spare engine that i believe threw a rod in from lack of oil. So i was thinking about tearing it apart to see what all needed to be replaced and if it was too much then to try and get to the crank and just replace the whole thing. My question is this, are these two tasks something someone with a service manual and is somewhat mechanically inclined could do?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:53 PM

I've tried to get a couple of pics of the mic. but none of them came out good. After double and triple checking the measurements I'm not so sure that i actually have a crank walk problem. With the crank pushed fully to the back of the engine I'm getting a measurement of 2 which is out of a scale to 10 per in. With the crank pushed fully forward I'm getting a reading of about 1 1/2 out of 10. So the runout is actually right around .0045 or very close to limit. I guess im gonna try to install the 5spd one more time and see if it makes noise or not. I just don't understand why i wouldn't be able to see any wear marks on anything. The starter has wear marks from where it looks like it engages but nothing crazy looking...
Old 10-28-2004, 03:20 PM
maroon menace

if end play looks like 1/8 to a 1/4 inch it's way too much. MAXIMUM tolerance is 0.010". that's a far cry from 1/8". I think you answered the question of how this happened. Was the wreck a front end impact? If it was and the engine was running any excessive load to the crankdamper could wipe out the bearing. I don't think there has to be a noticeable drop in oil pressure from a failed thrust bearing especially if it is only one flange. Either way it looks like you need to start looking for another engine. There is a wrecker in Medford NY by the name of Aaron Auto Supply that has 6 or so SVXs parting out. If you are interested.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Maniac modifier

try the tranny again, if the endplay is that little, your engine is fine. make sure that all components are installed properly. It could have been something u might have overlooked before, something obvious and will make u feel like an idiot when u see it. Anyway, good luck. It does not sound like ur engine is in any bad shape at all. I hope you get back on the road quikly