Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: ?
Bull. 3 30.00%
Sums it up well. 5 50.00%
Don't care. 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I highly doubt he was an entry level cook for 13 years. If I could get this guys' name maybe we could get the full story.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX

Last edited by NikFu S.; 11-19-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Hater

Re: Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
I highly doubt he was an entry level cook for 13 years. If I could get this guys' name maybe we could get the full story.
If hes blaming Wall St for his parents breakup, i wouldnt doubt he was making minimum wage for 13 years.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Ows is not a movement that will accomplish anything. They have un realistic goals of grandure for the working class and punishment of the new wealthy. I am in the working class... i pay my taxes so these hippies can collect their unemployment checks from the government they despise. At what point will they grow up and contribute in a positive way?
"OWS will not accomplish anything?" Seems like it is creating lots of news, discussions and critical thinking. If I remember correctly, "hippies" along with many others were instrutmental in our country changing it's policy in Viet Nam among other things. I guess I was a hippie forty years ago and have created seven start up businesses, paid lots of taxes and employed thousands of people. Labeling is dismissive and dangerous for it does nothing to further our understanding of others. We all have our beliefs and points of view and we need to share them to better understand one another to come to solutions. No one is 100% right!

Personally, I am more concerned over corporate welfare which far exceeds payments to the less fortunate. The belief of the welfare Cadillacs is a myth created by certain political interest to distract us from the real issues.

My two cents,

Ray
Old 11-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

I see "welfare Cadillacs" quite literally every day at the apartment buildings I own. I have several tenants that receive more than half of their rent in some form of governement assistance and a couple of tenants in particular that have their rent paid for, fuel assistance for all of their oil/gas/ electricity costs, and food stamps all the while they do not work or make any attempt at finding a job. What do they drive? One has a 4 year old Cadillac Escalade and the other has a 2-3 year old Acura TL... I see even worse cases at some other people's buildings as well (also keep in mind these apartments are in pretty decent areas, not the slums where 75-80% of the occupants have their rent paid for by the government)

I have a more accurate idea as to how far reaching the abuses of the welfare system go than most people and it is much, much further than anyone wants to admit.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvalleyray View Post
"OWS will not accomplish anything?" Seems like it is creating lots of news, discussions and critical thinking. If I remember correctly, "hippies" along with many others were instrutmental in our country changing it's policy in Viet Nam among other things. I guess I was a hippie forty years ago and have created seven start up businesses, paid lots of taxes and employed thousands of people. Labeling is dismissive and dangerous for it does nothing to further our understanding of others. We all have our beliefs and points of view and we need to share them to better understand one another to come to solutions. No one is 100% right!

Personally, I am more concerned over corporate welfare which far exceeds payments to the less fortunate. The belief of the welfare Cadillacs is a myth created by certain political interest to distract us from the real issues.

My two cents,

Ray
OWS is different from protestors for civil rights and those against the vietnam war for one reason.... OWS has no structure, no clear objective that they wish to accomplish. It is an unorganized hodge podge of people who resent those who have become wealthy. Yes a good many of these people have gained their fortunes at the expense of others but there are maby who have busted their asses, someone like you for example, to make their living. So who are these protestors to say that you dont deserve to have it? I am all for a flat percentage tax which would increase the income tax of tge very rich and decrease taxes of the middle and lower class but i am also a fond supporter of allowing capitolism to work. I feel theOWS movement is without a true cause and their actions are for nothing due to that. It is almost trendy to become a part of it which in my eyes will negate any headway they have made...

Now get off my lawn and turn down that rock music get a haircut and a job....

Tom
Old 11-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
http://front.moveon.org/the-single-m...P-LGs.facebook
=
Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
I'm buried in news reports and articles, videos, boards for hours each day, yet it has taken this long to stumble upon this piece which says pretty much everything I want in a comprehensible way.

Quote:
http://miscthoughts.info/

What the Occupy Movement is about and why I support it

by Scott Squires
It's a bit long, but here is "the point" of OWS.

Hell, why stop there.

http://blogs.reuters.com/david-cay-j...rgy-companies/

http://www.occupypolice.org/2011/11/...cupy-st-louis/

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011...ca-chart-graph

Read up.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 12-08-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

tl;dr again.

What is understood need not be discussed. There is a substantial monetary imbalance. Congratulations, have a cookie.

Go on and answer this question for me: What is all this tent living by assorted folks who are giving themselves a very poor image going to do to change it?

No more bawling about the students getting sprayed at Davis, either - I hope the story leading up to it doesn't ruin your ramen:
Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
tl;dr again.
Try Ritalin.

Quote:
What is understood need not be discussed. There is a substantial monetary imbalance. Congratulations, have a cookie.
It goes far beyond the imbalance. Discussion is always necessary when there is a disagreement. Discussion averts assumption. Discussion improves ideas.
You prefer to ignore the problem?

Quote:
Go on and answer this question for me: What is all this tent living by assorted folks who are giving themselves a very poor image going to do to change it?
1) "What is all this tent living" Occupation thus far has been VERY effective at bringing attention to the movement.
2) "assorted folks who are giving themselves a very poor image" In your opinion...
3) "going to do to change it?" Change minds, I think.
Maybe this...?

What are you doing about it...? Do you support criminals having so much control over the world economy and being free from prosecution?

Quote:
No more bawling about the students getting sprayed at Davis, either - I hope the story leading up to it doesn't ruin your ramen:
And...? Police shouldn't have been there in the first place, and I never even mentioned UC Davis. I think you are the first to mention it here.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I'm buried in news reports and articles, videos, boards for hours each day, yet it has taken this long to stumble upon this piece which says pretty much everything I want in a comprehensible way.

Hell, why stop there.

Read up.
Another good article - http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...tests-20111110

Ray
Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

Hell, why stop there.

Read up.
And another - http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...-rich-20111109

Ray
Old 12-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvalleyray View Post
And another - http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion...gekko.html.csp

Ray
Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Majority Rights Minority Rule?

I think the 1% should also share some of those rights too you know. Also is it true that only salaried income gets deducted into Social Security and Disability?

Last edited by Weebitob; 12-13-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Majority Rights Minority Rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob View Post
I think the 1% should also share some of those rights too you know. Also is it true that only salaried income gets deducted into Social Security and Disability?

Contribution and Benefit Base
Automatic Determinations

Cost-of-Living Adjustment

Tax data

Wage-indexed amounts
Social Security's Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (OASDI) program limits the amount of earnings subject to taxation for a given year. The same annual limit also applies when those earnings are used in a benefit computation. This limit changes each year with changes in the national average wage index. We call this annual limit the contribution and benefit base. For earnings in 2012, this base is $110,100.
The OASDI tax rate for wages paid in 2012 is set by statute at 6.2 percent for employees and employers, each. Thus, an individual with wages equal to or larger than $110,100 would contribute $6,826.20 to the OASDI program in 2012, and his or her employer would contribute the same amount. The OASDI tax rate for self-employment income in 2012 is 12.4 percent.

For Medicare's Hospital Insurance (HI) program, the taxable maximum was the same as that for the OASDI program for 1966-1990. Separate HI taxable maximums of $125,000, $130,200, and $135,000 were applicable in 1991-93, respectively. After 1993, there has been no limitation on HI-taxable earnings. Tax rates under the HI program are 1.45 percent for employees and employers, each, and 2.90 percent for self-employed persons.

Ray