Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-24-2003, 09:51 PM
The Molinator

Question Coil mount >> technique/torque value?

I was swapping a new coil pack with one of the existing ones (right front cylinder[don't know the numbers?]) to test if it's working (one cylinder at a time - to diagnose poor engine performance). As I was putting the new one in, I noticed (I didn't notice when I changed all plugs about 3 months ago) that the coil turns quite a bit as the bolt is tightened! My questions:

1. Is the coil turning (at least 1/4 inch) during tightening of the coil mounting bolt something to worry about? It seems like it's turning enough to really put pressure on the plug(s)! Should I (we) support the one side (under the head of the coil) against the cam (rocker) cover to limit the movement?

2. Whaz the tork spek?

THANKS GUYS, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 01-24-2003, 11:36 PM

What do you mean turning? The hole is on a side of the coil and as soon as the bolt is threaded it stops it from turning. The coil goes in by finger pressure and completely seats there. The bolt does not press it in any further.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:20 AM
The Molinator

Question COIL TURNS clockwise

The coil itself rotates (with the bolt as the center of the rotation) clockwise as the bolt is tightened. The rotation is stopped by the rubber-tipped end of the coil connector pressing against one side of the spark plug ceramic shaft. I'm not talking about the bolt turning, but instead the coil moving in the direction (up or down) that the bolt is turning BEFORE it stops. [Wish I could draw a picture - it would be easy to understand! I hope I've clarified it.] Let me know.

Thanks, Jim ]
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 01-25-2003 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:30 AM

Oh well. I only seen mines do that when I missed and the coil was not sitting on the plug at all. When they it positioned on the plug, there is not much space for it to go up or down.
The only other possibility is that the spark plug itself is cracked/broken, but it would not fire then, would it?

The tork spec - don't know too lazy to list through the service manual (Subaru has not discovered a thing called index yet). From top of my head I would assume something in the range of 10NM, but it's kinda pointless since I don't think you'll be able to use a torque wrench there - not enough clearance.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:40 AM
The Molinator

Question coil "rotating" . . . . .

Ya No! I'm sure I'm on the plug or it wouildn't go in at all.

Doesn't your torque wrench fit in there? HA!, just kidding! The reason I asked is that my coil bolts were very hard to get off - I didn't want to crack them when replacing. The coil spins because there is a "soft" rubber liner on the tip of the electrode end of the coil which fits against the ceramic shaft of the spark plug. Also, there's only one bolt with no rigid complimentary stop to prevent the coil from turning, at least 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

Thanks,

Last edited by James Scott; 01-27-2003 at 09:46 AM.