Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 01-22-2016, 10:50 AM

what is your Ultimate SVX transmission package

Anyone who has experienced both the stock SVX trans and something different in an SVX:
Post up what your ultimate transmission package would be and why.

I'll be swapping a new package into my 96 svx.
I cant decide if i want to go manual or 4.44 auto. So i'm hoping others might shed some light with their personal experience.
(also what gear ratios and diff ratios do you prefer for 5 speed)
I have driven Stock, and 2 different 5 speed Svx's.
I really hope to run 6 or 8lbs of boost in the future, nothing radical just a little extra go power.
My tranny upgrade budget is $1500 for parts. My labor is free.

thank you
Steve
Old 01-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: what is your Ultimate SVX transmission package

Quote:
Originally Posted by herffstyle View Post
Anyone who has experienced both the stock SVX trans and something different in an SVX:
Post up what your ultimate transmission package would be and why.

I'll be swapping a new package into my 96 svx.
I cant decide if i want to go manual or 4.44 auto. So i'm hoping others might shed some light with their personal experience.
(also what gear ratios and diff ratios do you prefer for 5 speed)
I have driven Stock, and 2 different 5 speed Svx's.
I really hope to run 6 or 8lbs of boost in the future, nothing radical just a little extra go power.
My tranny upgrade budget is $1500 for parts. My labor is free.

thank you
Steve
Be aware that putting a manual transmission in a 96 will give you a check engine light.

I have a 4.44 auto which is nice compared to the stock, and gets even better with the subiechips tcu and a quick change kit, but overall I like the WRX 5 speed swaps best, that is what I would go with if doing it again. I didn't like the 6 speed I drove as much, but that may because I am not used to 6 speeds and heavy clutch.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I love my 6-speed but I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone. With the short shifter and upgraded bushings it's extremely raw and the responsiveness of the car changes completely. It becomes very snappy and can be a bit jumpy at low speeds. The clutch is heavier than most but has excellent feel. My Legacy also has a 6-speed so the two cars feel remarkably similar.

The 6-speed is also expensive as f***. The swap cost more than the car.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I love my 6-speed but I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone. With the short shifter and upgraded bushings it's extremely raw and the responsiveness of the car changes completely. It becomes very snappy and can be a bit jumpy at low speeds. The clutch is heavier than most but has excellent feel. My Legacy also has a 6-speed so the two cars feel remarkably similar.

The 6-speed is also expensive as f***. The swap cost more than the car.
That's true, definitely a premium cost on them. Probably a much better choice for a boosted engine.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 PM

Registered SVX

I agree with crazy, I love my 6 speed with short throw, but then again I am not your average driver. I think for simplicity 4.44 auto would be good way to go, especially with a 96 because of the check engine light as mentioned. but WRX 5 speeds also are good. I have not driven any manual svx except mine but I have driven a few wrx's
Old 01-25-2016, 08:12 PM

Registered SVX

I have the WRX 5 speed in my '97. I wanted the best I could get, the meanest, toughest, baddest shifting car the SVX could be. Then I found out that you don't necessarily get higher gearing, you get more responsiveness throughout the same range by having the extra gear. Considering the limitations of the stock engine, I figured the 5-speed would be more than enough and it is soooo much more fun than the auto was. It seemed to me that the 6-speed was meant more for a boosted, hard-core SVX. Just my opinion on what I wanted. The 5 speed is a blast, transforms the car, without putting it in the hyper aggressive range. It feels right for my car. Unfortunately, the 5 speed definitely leaves me wanting more power. I can't imagine what the 6 speed would do to me. Sorry, don't know my gearing.
And, the CEL is on, though we took a stab at a solution. Eventually, I'll pull the bulb.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:08 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
I have the WRX 5 speed in my '97. I wanted the best I could get, the meanest, toughest, baddest shifting car the SVX could be. Then I found out that you don't necessarily get higher gearing, you get more responsiveness throughout the same range by having the extra gear. Considering the limitations of the stock engine, I figured the 5-speed would be more than enough and it is soooo much more fun than the auto was. It seemed to me that the 6-speed was meant more for a boosted, hard-core SVX. Just my opinion on what I wanted. The 5 speed is a blast, transforms the car, without putting it in the hyper aggressive range. It feels right for my car. Unfortunately, the 5 speed definitely leaves me wanting more power. I can't imagine what the 6 speed would do to me. Sorry, don't know my gearing.
And, the CEL is on, though we took a stab at a solution. Eventually, I'll pull the bulb.
The main advantage to the 6 speed is the rear bias, the 5 speed is a viscous 50/50 split the viscous part allows you to turn without binding just like the svx rear limited slip. The 6 speed has a variable and driver controlled center diff with a default of either 36/64 or 41/59 (year of transmission dependent) Yes it can handle more power and may I stress the may, limit the drivetrain loss to the wheels
Old 01-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

New York registration + 1996 = automatic, period.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:18 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
The 6 speed has a variable and driver controlled center diff with a default of either 36/64 or 41/59 (year of transmission dependent).
There is not a default rearward bias in the STI 6-speed center differential. It is a computer controlled clutch pack. The numbers you are quoting are the maximum F/R bias the differential will provide when the bias is dialed towards the rear.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:14 PM

Thank you all for your input!!!!!!
I spoke with the Inspector guy at my local shop yesterday. he is leaning toward it not passing... HOWEVER, he did say that the NYS inspection computer does allow 2 or 3 registers to be "Unready" And thinks there may be a chance that the NYS computer will know the difference between the MIL being set because of Emissions or because of Other issues. AND it may allow the Other issue.
He doesn't know for sure.
SO
I have a question,
Instead of carrying thru with the swap and crossing my fingers, can i do this?
Drive the car there with all the original tranny.
When i get there, unplug the trans control computer.
and hook up to the NYS Inspection computer.
Would that basically be the same "Inspection computer-wise" as putting a manual tranny in the car?
this way we will really know if the NYS computer will allow it without the work and expense of really doing the swap..

thoughts?
Old 01-27-2016, 05:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobCrazy View Post
There is not a default rearward bias in the STI 6-speed center differential. It is a computer controlled clutch pack. The numbers you are quoting are the maximum F/R bias the differential will provide when the bias is dialed towards the rear.
if you do not have a DCCD controller it will "default" to 36F/64R for 04 and 05 and I believe 41F/59R for 06-07
Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

I like a JDM SVX transmission that I've gone through matched up with one of my TCUs. I like the 3.7 gear ratio. I like the way the car drives with the vtd. I like the way the car launches with the vtd. I like the fast shifts and I like that it doesn't break.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:01 AM

I had an SVX that i put a JDM SVX tranny with the 3.70 in a long time ago, It was a pain to get a TCM at that time. and when i did spend 250 for it, i really dont think it was right.
But i would try it again.
Although, this being a 96' does it have to be a special TCM?
Old 01-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

You'd have to check what TCU you have now. Some of the earlier 96 SVXs have a TCU that is physically the same as the earlier SVXs. If I remember correctly the code on them is MQ. That TCU will work fine. If yours is later and has the little tcu with no provisions for external memory like the 97 cars then you are out of luck.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
HOWEVER, he did say that the NYS inspection computer does allow 2 or 3 registers to be "Unready".
This is completely unrelated to the MIL. 1996-2000 vehicles are allowed two monitors to be "not ready" in NYS.

Quote:
[He] thinks there may be a chance that the NYS computer will know the difference between the MIL being set because of Emissions or because of Other issues. AND it may allow the Other issue.
He doesn't know for sure.
Are you willing to bet a major driveline reversal on it?

You can experiment with this - disconnect the trans from the engine ECU, get MIL lit, hook up for inspection. If it passes, you can do whatever transmission thing you choose, albeit with a perpetually lit MIL. If not, you're stuck with stock.

A better alternative if you want a different driveline? Sell your SVX and buy an OBD-I car. Modding an OBD-II car in NY means reversing it every year, and you'd have to be pretty hardcore to swap your transmission every year when there's a much simpler alternative.