How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 AM

92 SVX sway bar and tie rods

I have a 92 SVX in need of some new inner tie rods, swatbarbushings and links. I have found all of these parts but before I drop the cash on them I figured I'd ask you guys if you had any suggestions. When researching this topic I hear mention of "earthworm" but I'm sure of what or who that is but everyone seems to like getting swaybar bushings from "earthworm". No idea. Just looking for some suggestions. Also thinking about getting the timing belt and water pump kit from 1A auto. I've got 77k on it right now and to my knowledge, it's never been replaced so no better time than the present. Thoughts?

Last edited by ChristophCobb; 08-10-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: 92 SVX sway bar and tie rods

I'm not sure if Earthworm is around anymore. I think I got my bushings from him. They are Energy Suspension 9.5158G polyurethane 22mm or 7/8". That part number may or may not exist still.
The OEM ones are fine, just a little softer.
As for the timing belt, it goes by mileage and by age. If you are unsure if it was changed, do it. Idler pulleys, tensioner, water pump should be done at the same time. The Ebay kits seem to be fine but get an OEM water pump.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Just because Amazon carries everything. They are on there for less than $20 for a pair.

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspens...Q8MN2BHMSY8J4X
Old 08-10-2015, 06:39 PM

Awesome! I'm definitely grabbing that swaybar set. This may be a silly question but does the rear also get a set of of links and bushings? If so, would I order the same set for the rear? I can get a set of swaybar links for the front from a site, but are there fancy ones that outshine the OEM ones? Same for inner tie rods.
Here's the swaybar links I was planning on ordering for the front:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002M6...LqL&ref=plSrch

If anyone has any suggestions for a better set I'd be glad to listen. As for the tie rod ends, I'm a little confused. I'm not familiar with this entirely and I'm a little lost on what to look for. I was told the inner tie rods are worn out and could use replacing (of course the bushings and links as well) I have a very general idea of what all of this actually is as of now until I start taking stuff apart and I'm not sure what to look for. It seems Tie rod ends are what frequently come up in my searches. I'm assuming that's the part that gets worn? I don't know to be perfectly honest.

Last edited by ChristophCobb; 08-10-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:40 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Sorry dude, I misunderstood. The bushings I'm talking about are for the rear. There are end links in the rear also but all are different than the front.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Sorry dude, I misunderstood. The bushings I'm talking about are for the rear. There are end links in the rear also but all are different than the front.
Yeah I figured that would be the case but it's quite ambiguous at times which parts are for the front or the rear. I see two sets of the bushings on Amazon that Fly recommended. They're listed as frequently bought together. I'm going to assume that's because the other set is for the rear. The rear hasn't been looked at as far as I know but If I'm doing the front I might as well also grab a set for the rear while I'm at it. It's 20 bucks, that's pretty cool.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:17 AM

Registered SVX

You should check with this member and see if he has any upgraded swaybars left from his last batch, if he does this would be the best thing to do for the rear.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=rear+swaybar
Old 08-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Seems good but I have to spend my money wisely right now and I'm putting it into what needs to be done. The only reason I opted to also get bushings for the rear is because I'm afraid if they're differant the tires will wear unevenly. I'm already having trans issues and I now have to think about a 4.44 swap. It keeps slipping between gears and the car revs up and then goes into gear. Doesn't happen all the time but it has a slow shift time and that slip is happening more and more frequently. I'm thinking about putting trans medic or something similar to that in it to possibly give me more time.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:59 PM

Registered SVX

the sway bar bushings will not help with tire wear or keeping the trans in better shape, it sole job is to keep the body from swaying around.

IF you prefer the auto then yes by all means get the 4.44 geared trans and rear diff but if you need to replace trans save up and do manual if you prefer manual, its more fun and lighter too.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophCobb View Post
. I'm already having trans issues and I now have to think about a 4.44 swap. It keeps slipping between gears and the car revs up and then goes into gear. Doesn't happen all the time but it has a slow shift time and that slip is happening more and more frequently. I'm thinking about putting trans medic or something similar to that in it to possibly give me more time.
You may just need to replace a resistor or adjust the bands. It is common to have a "flair" of higher rpm and a rough shift if the resistor is bad or the adjustment is off.

Check this thread: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ht=rough+shift
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:07 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was was referring to the 4.44 manual swap. I think it's a legacy transmission? There's is a forum member known as budfreak who sells them? I think he's on the other site for SVXs. I want it. But I have to prioritize right now and that's not exactly at the top of my list. The oil leak, and burning oil smell with the occasional smoke coming out of the engine compartment thing is what I'm concerned with at the moment. And I really want to repair the body damage too. Poor cars scraped real nice on the side. Paint cracks and chips everywhere.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:07 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophCobb View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was was referring to the 4.44 manual swap. I think it's a legacy transmission? There's is a forum member known as budfreak who sells them? I think he's on the other site for SVXs. I want it. But I have to prioritize right now and that's not exactly at the top of my list. The oil leak, and burning oil smell with the occasional smoke coming out of the engine compartment thing is what I'm concerned with at the moment. And I really want to repair the body damage too. Poor cars scraped real nice on the side. Paint cracks and chips everywhere.
The 4.44 budfreak sells are automatic transmissions not manuals.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 AM

Registered SVX

You can find 4.44 geared manual transmissions but that will be very short gearing highway cruising will not be very ideal.

the best manual trans gears are either 3.9 or 4.11 and you can get cable clutch (little easier install) or hydro clutch (wrx transmissions among others) either case some fab work will need to be done its not a simple drop in replacement, the actual trans is but to make it all work it isn't.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

FYI, the Energy Suspension sway bar bushings linked above will NOT WORK FOR STOCK SWAY BARS.
Stock size is 17mm. The 22mm bushings that people are referring to are for Nevin's 22mm rear sway bar.
Go OEM for the inner tie rods and water pump. They cost as much or cheaper than aftermarket.
As for front endlink replacement, you can buy REAR endlinks for a 00-06 Mini Cooper and they will work.
Lastly, if going manual, hydro clutch is not that difficult compared to cable. The cable can also snap on you easily, and it's a $70 cable from Subaru.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
FYI, the Energy Suspension sway bar bushings linked above will NOT WORK FOR STOCK SWAY BARS.
Stock size is 17mm. The 22mm bushings that people are referring to are for Nevin's 22mm rear sway bar.
Go OEM for the inner tie rods and water pump. They cost as much or cheaper than aftermarket.
As for front endlink replacement, you can buy REAR endlinks for a 00-06 Mini Cooper and they will work.
Lastly, if going manual, hydro clutch is not that difficult compared to cable. The cable can also snap on you easily, and it's a $70 cable from Subaru.
Hmm. Thank you for informing me. I was not aware that was the case. I already have the bushing but I have not got around to purchasing the other parts I said I needed. Is there a swaybar I can get that will fit them or should I return them? As for the transmission I'm really not informed enough or have enough funds to even start considering that right now, but I do want to plan ahead and I do want to do it eventually. Currently just worried about it slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear when driving slowly.