How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
UV Coating beginning to delaminate from front grille and headlamps. Solution?

So as some of you may know, our SVXs came with a UV coating on the headlights and grille which prevent them from yellowing. Once this coating wears off whether from peeling, or from being "sand blasted" away by highway driving, the headlamps begin to yellow. Today I noticed that mine is starting to delaminate at the very top center of the grille. I can't stand the thought of having yellow headlights and am wondering if anybody has any input on how to stop this process from getting worse. Perhaps the only option is to buy new headlamp and grille units?

2001 Audi S8
Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: UV Coating beginning to delaminate from front grille and headlamps. Solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
So as some of you may know, our SVXs came with a UV coating on the headlights and grille which prevent them from yellowing. Once this coating wears off whether from peeling, or from being "sand blasted" away by highway driving, the headlamps begin to yellow. Today I noticed that mine is starting to delaminate at the very top center of the grille. I can't stand the thought of having yellow headlights and am wondering if anybody has any input on how to stop this process from getting worse. Perhaps the only option is to buy new headlamp and grille units?
If you want the perfect look I'm sure you do, I think it's something that has to be stopped before it starts, by covering it with LaminX or something similar. Because once it starts peeling away, it's probably too late to stop it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-28-2013, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: UV Coating beginning to delaminate from front grille and headlamps. Solution?

Mike,

Check this thread by Crazy_pilot. He found a company which professionally restored his headlights. Took them completely apart installed new projector lenses etc. Polished the outside of the lens completely and applied the Lamin-X film.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...red+headlights

The website to the company is HERE

Cheaper than buying new lenses. I am not sure how the Lamin-X would work on covering the contours of the grille. That may be strictly a replacement issue on the grille.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

For Laminix a heat gun would be necessary to get it to mold nicely to the contours of the grill, but otherwise should not be a problem. It will be a little more pricey to get a piece long enough to cover it though.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Mike,

Check this thread by Crazy_pilot. He found a company which professionally restored his headlights. Took them completely apart installed new projector lenses etc. Polished the outside of the lens completely and applied the Lamin-X film.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...red+headlights

The website to the company is HERE

Cheaper than buying new lenses. I am not sure how the Lamin-X would work on covering the contours of the grille. That may be strictly a replacement issue on the grille.
Hey Mike,

Since Will did my headlights they haven't yellowed at all, they're still just as clear as my JDM corners. I polished the grille at the same time I installed the headlights and it's yellowed badly since then, so obviously Will's clear coat and the Lamin-X are doing their job well.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Hey Mike,

Since Will did my headlights they haven't yellowed at all, they're still just as clear as my JDM corners. I polished the grille at the same time I installed the headlights and it's yellowed badly since then, so obviously Will's clear coat and the Lamin-X are doing their job well.
I'm in the car business and actually have two local "headlight" guys that come around who do fantastic work. I just didn't want to go down that route since my headlights and grille are otherwise "like new." I had the headlights refinished professionally by one of the local guys on an A6 that I used to own, and they stayed like new for the remainder of the time I had the car.

Another consideration is that if I recall, new headlights aren't THAT expensive from Subaru. This set is not anywhere close to being unusable, however I figure I may buy a set to keep around for when these no longer become tolerable. Another option would be to have a set of used headlights refinished that are already in otherwise poor condition. I'm just brainstorming, I guess.
2001 Audi S8
Old 08-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

They are not too expensive. I have a new set still in boxes (as well as the waterfall grill) just in case. They were about $675.00 a pair, and are getting harder to get.

Even new sets have the problem of the projector lens chipping around the edges of the housing and causing white glass dust to accumulate inside the housing.

I may send my current "perfect" set to prolightz and have them disassemble them, install a new set of projectorlenses in a bead of clear RTV to cushion them, and get rid of the residual glass powder.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 08-28-2013, 04:53 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

'97 grille and glass headlights.

Though you're still stuck with the corners, I don't think you will rack up enough miles to mess them up.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
'97 grille and glass headlights.

Though you're still stuck with the corners, I don't think you will rack up enough miles to mess them up.

A matter of personal taste. Some like the "smiling waterfall look" and some prefer the "catfish waiting for a hook" look.

Same with wheels and spoilers.

I've had them both, back in 2001.
Waterfall won.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

I keep one around in case I get an itch. I prefer chrome though.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

Vehicle wrap laminate might make a great flexible laminX alternative.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 PM

On the cheaper end of things I restored my headlights using the BG headlight restore kit. Comes with some sand papers, wet sanding magic fluid, cleaner, and an epoxy type over coat. Makes the headlight look brand new, but doesn't always last. Used to do the job on my father's ford focus which has huge headlights and after three years the epoxy coat would start to flake at the edges and I'd simply do the job over again. I recently got a headlight out of a junk yard that had been badly yellowed. It's the drivers side and I'd been having trouble finding a non broken one, so I took what I could get. Didn't get a before pic, but after it looks like this.. Don't mind the carbon fibber wrap.

Because of how the grille is made, it will work there too. Not the most correct fix, but the best value.
79 Subaru FE
97 Impreza sport flintstone edition
78 BRAT!
76 Alfa Romero GTV
Old 08-29-2013, 12:18 AM

Registered SVX

Don't panic... even if it yellows, you can generally still bring it back.

The funny coincidence is that I was restoring one just yesterday. I did just half and took photos.

So here's the evidence:

Thankfully, here in Aus we have glass headlight lenses, so no yellow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7966.jpg (118.4 KB, 511 views)
Old 08-29-2013, 12:28 PM

So what country has glass & LH drive - why not buy that option of headlight ?

It may mean pulling apart to fit to the USA style lights

- here in NZ we have different type of lights (H3 Vs 9000series) etc. we also drive on RHS so that option is out.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
So what country has glass & LH drive?
GERMANY.