How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Ride Height & Suspension Woes

My latest project entailed restoring the rear suspension of my svx, which included the following:

OEM wheel bearings - replaced with hi-temp grease
Inner and Outer bushings on stock front and rear lateral links (reused stock lateral links, simply pressed out old and pressed in new bearings)
Motorsport Drop Springs W/ New OEM Factory Struts
rear lateral links
swap bar bushings
trailing link bushing - Polish bearing (Red)

I also installed motorsport drop springs on the front with New OEM factory struts.

The problem is that the ride height is off on all four corners...Driver's Front is 14 25"; Passenger Front is 14.75"; Driver's Rear is 13.5" and Passenger's rear is 14.25" I am measuring from the bottom of the center hub cap on Enkei Shogun rims to the outer edge of the fender. I have 225 45 R17 tires.

I have checked and rechecked the springs and am certain that the fronts are correct. The fronts are shorter then than rear springs and the front springs are also shaved on the top most rung where the spring would meet the strut mount...just as the OEM springs. I have also double checked the rear springs and every component that I replaced and no glaring bends, breaks or misplaced parts. The trunk is empty so weight would not affect one side or the other. I am at a total lose and am thinking I may have received defective struts? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also I attempted to have an alignment done today, foolishly thinking that may miraculously solve my ride height problems. It did not. The rear caster could not even come into spec.

Current Measurements (after alignment) are
Left Rear (Camber) -0.3 (.1 - -1.4)
Left Rear (Toe) .21 (-.12 - .12)

Right Rear (Camber) -1.0 (-1.4 - .1)
Right Rear (Toe) -.29 (-1.4 - .1)

Left Front (Camber) -.4 (.3 - -1.2)
Left Front (Caster) 4.6 (5.6 - 4.1)
Left Front (Toe) -.02 (-.12 - .12)

Right Front (Camber) -1.5 (-1.2 - .3)
Right Front (Caster) 4.8 (4.1 - 5.6)
Right Front (Toe) -.03 (.12 - -.12)

At this point I think getting an alignment in spec is impossible without first correcting the ride height issue. I thought I had by chance mistaken a rear spring for a front spring when installing...but after re checking and dissassembling each strut assembly I am certain they are correct.

Rear struts mounts were also considered a possible issue. The manual states that the mount with a yellow arrow is LEFT (Driver's Side) and the mount with the white arrow is RIGHT (Passenger's Side). All springs are seated snug against the notch in the strut perch.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what the issue may be or something I may have overlooked would be appreciated. I'd hate to take it to the dealer at this point, but if I have too :-/
Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Ride Height & Suspension Woes

Why is your camber all over the place? You've got over 3x as much camber on the right as you do on the left. I'm not sure you can adjust the caster on the rear. Any good alignment shop should be able to nail the camber on all four wheels (crash bolts on the back and they should be able to get the same value for all 4 wheels. Otherwise, the values should at least be the same left-to-right).

Good luck.
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 AM

Yeah I'm not sure why the rear camber is like that. Took it to NTB and the guy explained that's. The rear lateral link adjusting bolts were "rounding" out...whatever that means.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure why the rear camber is like that. Took it to NTB and the guy explained that's. The rear lateral link adjusting bolts were "rounding" out...whatever that means.
The camber bolts have a raised section on their shanks that causes the changes in camber. They're cheap and the NTB place should have new ones you can purchase...

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 PM

I bought 2 new camber bolts for the rear lateral links and the guy still couldn't get it correct
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 PM

NTB, Townfair tire, sears and all the other chain places do horrible alignments and do not have any of the necessary items to properly align subarus and fords at least (only vehicles I have). Try and find a true alignment or suspension shop that has the proper equipment, knowledge and time to align it correctly. And if a real suspension shop cannot align it correctly they will be able to tell you what is wrong with it, instead of just going "we can't do it".
Old 05-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

^^ what Tireiron said.

Bill

My Locker
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM

At dealership right now, if they have same issue ill try the suspension shop suggestion
Old 05-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
NTB, Townfair tire, sears and all the other chain places do horrible alignments and do not have any of the necessary items to properly align subarus and fords at least (only vehicles I have). Try and find a true alignment or suspension shop that has the proper equipment, knowledge and time to align it correctly. And if a real suspension shop cannot align it correctly they will be able to tell you what is wrong with it, instead of just going "we can't do it".
This has been my experience also!!
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 05-13-2013, 05:19 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I'd suspect the struts might be prematurely failing. New old stock struts barely lasted me a year when I installed them over a few years back. I hope your sets fair better than mine did.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 PM

But would a faulty strut affect ride height by .75"? When I check rear end (pushing down on each corner of vehicle) there is no noise, vehicle squats evenly and assumes normal stance instantly...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Registered SVX

Not sure if this is going to help you or not, but I'm going to post it anyways..

Ok, before I got my new struts and mounts, the town fair tire could not get the caster into spec.
They said there is no caster adjustment and that the mounts are shot and causing it.

Looked like this:

When I saw my front mounts they removed from the car, I understood why they could not get them into spec..

After new struts and mounts they were able to get it into spec:

You sure your looking at a rear caster problem?? I don't even see rear caster as a spec..
Anyways.. Good luck, hope my pics help and you get it sorted out.

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 05-13-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM

Caster is only a measurement available to turning wheels. A fixed wheel has no caster measurement as there is no axis which it turns around to measure from.