IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Bad Security Module - Safe to leave in?

Hey guys,

now that my SVX is roadworthy I'm starting to tackle random items here and there. Latest as of right now is the security module/keyless entry not working. The security light was blinking the other day then just stopped.

I replaced the ignition switch about a year ago, currently have a remanufactured starter and cleaned the wiring contacts but had the dreaded click-click starter issues.

Since the security module stopped working, I've had a 100% success rate in the starter engaging in the past 48 hours. Sounds like a correlation. I have a few options:

a) Leave it as it is and live without keyless entry, but enjoy the fact that the starter engages all the time
b) reinstall my old ignition switch which also has my Viper 791XV harness tapped into it so I could use that for keyless entry. My previous installer of this tapped into the security module wiring so I'm not sure if it'd work without a security module installed.
c) Replace the security module with another one and possibly experience starting issues

Anyone have any worthwhile suggestions? Each of these is pretty time consuming (opening up either the drivers side dash or the glovebox) so I'm hesitant to create a larger project than I need to
2012 Camry V6 SE

Last edited by Tim; 04-22-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 AM

Re: Bad Security Module - Safe to leave in?

I'm not sure forty eight hours is enough to establish any sort of correlation. I had one that would start on every single turn of the key for days, weeks, then suddenly... "click, click."

The "Bosch relay mod" described hereabouts completely cured this annoyance I'd put up with for years. I'd leave the security module in place for now and try that, should the starter troubles return.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 04-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:00 PM

Re: Bad Security Module - Safe to leave in?

I've been running my 96 for a year with no security module in it with no issues aside from not having the keyless entry anymore. This year I will be installing an aftermarket alarm and remote module where the security module was. It is a bit easier for me on the 96 though seeing as it is in the trunk under the back deck.