How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM

Smile Re: idle trouble after deep puddle pass

Sorry, you have tried what I had tried.... anyone else want to chip-in ?.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM

Registered SVX
Re: idle trouble after deep puddle pass

I replaced the CTS a year and a half ago. Couldn't hurt to try again I guess.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Kiss Me Deadly
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Maybe the CTS? It can cause surging, high idle, and frequently doesn't show a code when it's not working. Maybe water got in the connection. It's the 2-wire one, accessible from the rear, left-hand side of the engine, on the coolant crossover pipe. Try looking at it and measuring the resistance at different temperatures (a hot and cold one should suffice). The resistance at different temperatures is in the graph in this document: http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/pdf/s...re/NTC_M12.pdf (This is not the exact same sensor, but the temp/resistance curve is the same).

Try also cleaning/lubricating the throttle body linkages on the right-hand side, where the cable attaches, maybe something is sticking.
Thanks for advice
I replaced CTS last summer, its the last chance, yes..
I replaced throttle cable yesterday, so there is no sticking in the linkages

Could IACV be still bad after cleaning? Resistance between 1-2 and 2-3 ~9omhs and green tab easy to move with screwdriver, no sticking..
Old 04-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Registered SVX

If you can, replace the CTS first, $20 or so. If you have the money, buy a new IACV and the auxillary, then you know you would have replaced everything. Dont forget the hoses under the intake. Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:09 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss Me Deadly View Post
Thanks for advice
I replaced CTS last summer, its the last chance, yes..
I replaced throttle cable yesterday, so there is no sticking in the linkages

Could IACV be still bad after cleaning? Resistance between 1-2 and 2-3 ~9omhs and green tab easy to move with screwdriver, no sticking..
If the IACV had a bad connection it might cause that problem, but I think it would throw a code.

The part of the throttle body I'm talking about is the part with the springs and stuff where the cable attaches to, not the cable itself. Check visually whether the throttle blades close fully. They should close all the way, or very close to it.

Maybe you have a leak from a cracked vacuum line, that could cause a higher than normal idle.

If the idle speed is high, then you have to be getting extra air, fuel, or timing advance from somewhere. Timing can be affected by the CTS or TPS. Fuel can be affected by the CTS, or by the wrong amount of air being measured (MAF), or the TPS. Extra air can come from the IACV, AACV, or a vacuum leak somewhere.

Did you check the TPS voltage? Search the forum for how to check it, it's pretty easy with a multimeter and a couple of needles. I'd also unplug it and make sure the connection is dry.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 AM

Registered SVX

In case it has begun immediately after i had passed deep puddle, the problem probably in parts, which could be damaged by water: air filter - MAF - IACV or AACV i guess.. Could TPS be damaged by water in intake boot? All the more CTS...
Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It's a stretch, but if water got in the plug connection, it's possible that's the problem.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

I know this sounds elementary, but have you reset the entire car by unplugging the battery overnight? My car was having a terrible idle recently, threw a code for the EGR (34), left O2 sensor and then the TPS and MAF (but the last two were because I had taken them off to clean them). I unplugged it overnight, started it the next day, threw no codes at all (yes, I checked with the blue wires into the black connector - nothing) and the idle was actually better than before. It wouldn't hurt to try
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
I know this sounds elementary, but have you reset the entire car by unplugging the battery overnight? My car was having a terrible idle recently, threw a code for the EGR (34), left O2 sensor and then the TPS and MAF (but the last two were because I had taken them off to clean them). I unplugged it overnight, started it the next day, threw no codes at all (yes, I checked with the blue wires into the black connector - nothing) and the idle was actually better than before. It wouldn't hurt to try
i replaced ECU with old one (now i have ECU with ECUtune Stage 1) which was unplugged for a couple of months - it changed nothing
Old 04-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Well, to review:

1. I cleaned IACV with carb cleaner - green tab is not stick, moved easily with screwdriver or pinky finger. 9 ohms between 1-2 and 2-3 terminals ok.

2. I checked AACV effects on idle - i blocked inlet pipe on throttle body and hose to it at the same time - nothing happened.
3. I replaced MAF with good one - nothing happened

4. I replaced ECU - nothing happened

5. I replaced throttle cable with new one - still nothing..

I really dont know what to do next, please help((
Idle on 1,2,3,D is 1000rpm, idle on D, N is 1500rpm

OK so the air is not getting in through the AACV unit.

Next disconnect the air pipe that runs from the air delivery tube to the IACV. It is a bigger pipe connected below the air delivery pipe.
Block the hole in the air delivery pipe, and then start to cover the end of the pipe to the IACV, to see if the engine slows as you reduce the amount of air that can get to the IACV.
This will tell if the air is getting through the IACV or from some other source.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
OK so the air is not getting in through the AACV unit.

Next disconnect the air pipe that runs from the air delivery tube to the IACV. It is a bigger pipe connected below the air delivery pipe.
Block the hole in the air delivery pipe, and then start to cover the end of the pipe to the IACV, to see if the engine slows as you reduce the amount of air that can get to the IACV.
This will tell if the air is getting through the IACV or from some other source.

Harvey.
I`ve done the test. Results:
-Hole in the delivery pipe blocked, end of the pipe to IACV open fully: engine runs for 5 seconds, then car dies. its like 1500rpm, 1200-1000-800-600-300-dead
-Hole in the delivery open, end of the pipe to IACV open fully: the same, but car die faster
-Hole in the delivery blocked, end of the pipe to IACV blocked: it sucked my finger and die too
Old 04-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
I`ve done the test. Results:
-Hole in the delivery pipe blocked, end of the pipe to IACV open fully: engine runs for 5 seconds, then car dies. its like 1500rpm, 1200-1000-800-600-300-dead
-Hole in the delivery open, end of the pipe to IACV open fully: the same, but car die faster
-Hole in the delivery blocked, end of the pipe to IACV blocked: it sucked my finger and die too
Well that looks like the air is getting in through the IACV, to hold the high idle, the valve is just staying at full open.
So either the IACV is not responding to the signals the ECU is sending, (stuck, jamed or the windings in the valve are open).
Or the wiring to the valve is open ( not connected properly).

Harvey.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:15 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Well that looks like the air is getting in through the IACV, to hold the high idle, the valve is just staying at full open.
So either the IACV is not responding to the signals the ECU is sending, (stuck, jamed or the windings in the valve are open).
Or the wiring to the valve is open ( not connected properly).

Harvey.
I guess the problem in IACV.. But im sure that green tab inside is not stuck or jamed, it could me moved easily with a flat screw driver.
Maybe i left wrong space between tab and body before installing it back to TB? I left 4-5 millimeters, like here:

Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

The amount that the valve is open there, looks like it is about right, but I have not had one off to see. This is a pic of one that is about right so it looks the same.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...4&d=1193385499
So the valve maybe set right, but the ECU maybe holding it open for some reason. Do you think you could pull the plug off the valve when it is idling fast, to see if it slows down or stays the same. That will tell us if the ECU is holding it open for some electrical reason?

Harvey.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
The amount that the valve is open there, looks like it is about right, but I have not had one off to see. This is a pic of one that is about right so it looks the same.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...4&d=1193385499
So the valve maybe set right, but the ECU maybe holding it open for some reason. Do you think you could pull the plug off the valve when it is idling fast, to see if it slows down or stays the same. That will tell us if the ECU is holding it open for some electrical reason?

Harvey.
I was not able to unplug it on idling car, but i unpluged it before start and again nothing happened, 1250 on P, N, 1000 on other