Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2002, 10:00 PM
alacrity024

Ot: 350z?

My mother has been wanting to buy a sports car for quite some time now. Honestly I can say that a sports car will be truly wasted on this woman--she knows nothing about cars, does not particularly enjoy driving, and is not at all concerned with how well a vehicle handles under "spirited" driving conditions. She wants a sports car simply because her upbringing and the media to which she is constantly exposed tells her that owning a racy little automobile will make her younger.

She isn't concerned with performance or handling, she is choosing the car almost entirely based on its looks. She had initially wanted a car with all-wheel drive to combat the winters which make New England such a wonderful place to be in the colder months, but if she's going to drop that much money on a car, I'm not going to let her take it out of the garage in the winter.

That said, she likes the "look" of the new Nissan Z car. She wants something with a little more heft than a roadster would offer, and she likes the sporty look that the new Nissan has. Can anyone here tell me anything about these cars that I don't already know? I've been trying to find the ground clearance (we live at the end of a road which gets severly frost-heaved at the end of every winter and there is a dirt section which occasionally washes out a bit) but to no avail..

Any help is appreciated

-Adam
Old 09-26-2002, 10:34 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Ot: 350z?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alacrity024
[B]My mother has been wanting to buy a sports car for quite some time now. Honestly I can say that a sports car will be truly wasted on this woman--she knows nothing about cars, does not particularly enjoy driving, and is not at all concerned with how well a vehicle handles under "spirited" driving conditions. She wants a sports car simply because her upbringing and the media to which she is constantly exposed tells her that owning a racy little automobile will make her younger.

Hey, Adam. It works! The SVX has taken YEARS off my life. I think mom's entitled to a mid-life crisis car just like her male counterparts. Go girl!!

She isn't concerned with performance or handling, she is choosing the car almost entirely based on its looks.

Gee - something like the way we males initiallly pick our females?!

Adam, here's your chance to bond with mom, & teach her that performance counts. Tell her she ain't no cowgirl just because she buys a horse. It's your duty to show her what driving pleasures await her if she devotes a little time to learning just what a so-called sports car can do. And be sure to tell her she sure seems younger since buying that dam' xxxxxxx car.

Who knows - she may start bugging you to take her to auto crosses.

Let it be a fun time!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:58 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: Ot: 350z?

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
My mother has been wanting to buy a sports car for quite some time now. Honestly I can say that a sports car will be truly wasted on this woman--she knows nothing about cars, does not particularly enjoy driving, and is not at all concerned with how well a vehicle handles under "spirited" driving conditions. She wants a sports car simply because her upbringing and the media to which she is constantly exposed tells her that owning a racy little automobile will make her younger.

She isn't concerned with performance or handling, she is choosing the car almost entirely based on its looks. She had initially wanted a car with all-wheel drive to combat the winters which make New England such a wonderful place to be in the colder months, but if she's going to drop that much money on a car, I'm not going to let her take it out of the garage in the winter.

That said, she likes the "look" of the new Nissan Z car. She wants something with a little more heft than a roadster would offer, and she likes the sporty look that the new Nissan has. Can anyone here tell me anything about these cars that I don't already know? I've been trying to find the ground clearance (we live at the end of a road which gets severly frost-heaved at the end of every winter and there is a dirt section which occasionally washes out a bit) but to no avail..

Any help is appreciated

-Adam
She needs a Miata. That way she won't have wasted a good Nissan.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 09-27-2002, 06:30 AM

And think of the positive consequence. When she gets tired of it, she will sell it to you really cheap.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:05 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Ot: 350z?

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
She wants a sports car simply because her upbringing and the media to which she is constantly exposed tells her that owning a racy little automobile will make her younger.
-Adam
Are you watching the same adds as me? I thought that now in order to make yourself 15 years younger you needed to go out and buy a 3 ton Hummer H2 for your daily commute.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Ot: 350z?

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

Are you watching the same adds as me? I thought that now in order to make yourself 15 years younger you needed to go out and buy a 3 ton Hummer H2 for your daily commute.
I thought buying an H2 made you smarter...I seem to remember getting that impression from the commercial...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-27-2002, 09:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
i really liek the 350z im glad nissan came out with it again,, juts disapointed theres no turbos =< but its a really good bargain for a true sports car..

now where teh toyota supra.. rx7s...3000gt vr4s coming out next =>
Old 09-27-2002, 09:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
May I suggest the Altima

My neighbor just bought for the SAME exact reason. She got the 'little poser 2.5L' engine but the car looks pretty good on her and it's plenty large.

If she wants the GO too then the 3.4L six is quite a power house.

disclaimer: I may be off a bit on the engine sizes....
Old 09-27-2002, 03:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
About a half an hour ago, I was driving home. in my '92 Pearly SVX I came upon a new, red 350Z . We were in traffic, side by side, together for about 6 traffic lights. I'm sorry, I have to be honest. I think it's ugly. Why didn't they copy a Ferarri, like they did for the 240Z, instead of copying the Audi TT. I think this modern version is just too chunky. I remember when the original 240Z came out. The styling took people's breath away just like a Lambo does today.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 09-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Hater

i saw one the other day - i think its kinda dumb looking, but still better than the RX-8! i'd recommend the WRX for mom

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-27-2002, 03:36 PM
Boone

Aww... don't you think it's cute?
Old 09-27-2002, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: May I suggest the Altima

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
If she wants the GO too then the 3.4L six is quite a power house.

disclaimer: I may be off a bit on the engine sizes....
The larger engine is a 3.5L (oh, sooooo close ) with 287 hp in the new Z car. It's an impressive engine. The 260 hp version resides in our new G35. The midrange-top end punch is awesome!

Todd
Old 09-27-2002, 05:17 PM
Hitchhikin'

Is that the same engine that's in the Altima 3.5, rtaed at 250 hp? I heard they're using that engine for the whole line now, tuned to different specs, etc.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:34 PM

Registered SVX
350Z

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
About a half an hour ago, I was driving home. in my '92 Pearly SVX I came upon a new, red 350Z . We were in traffic, side by side, together for about 6 traffic lights. I'm sorry, I have to be honest. I think it's ugly. Why didn't they copy a Ferarri, like they did for the 240Z, instead of copying the Audi TT. I think this modern version is just too chunky. I remember when the original 240Z came out. The styling took people's breath away just like a Lambo does today.
I agree with LarryIII, the new Z is in the same bag as the new T-bird...disappointing.....
Old 09-27-2002, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Red SVX 92
Is that the same engine that's in the Altima 3.5, rtaed at 250 hp? I heard they're using that engine for the whole line now, tuned to different specs, etc.
It's the same engine in the Altima as well. Its been turned 90 degrees to power the front wheels.

Have any of you seen the Infiniti G35 Coupe. VERY Nice indeed.