How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Unhappy Check engine and VSS HELP!!! :(

I'm at my wits end right now. My check engine light has been on since 2006 whether it's throwing codes or not. I've recently done a ton of work to my car and she runs perfect and quiet as a mouse just like she's supposed to HOWEVER my check engine light is still flashing and I'm throwing a code for the Vehicle Speed Sensor. The speedometer works and I replaced the front VSS and then found out there is a second VSS on the bottom of the tranny and the wiring is build into the solenoid > from what I've read those rarely go bad. I've tried swapping the ECU and took of the gauge cluster and made sure all the rear screws were tight. Finally we found some corroded wires but don't have a terminal cleaner on hand to clean the pins. I don't care about the check engine light as long as she runs fine but unfortunately I'm in Tennessee now and you can't pass emissions with a check engine light on regardless if it's throwing codes or not and to make matters worse I can't even get a temp tag until it can pass. Has anyone else run into a
Problem like this? And if so how did you fix it?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Check engine and VSS HELP!!! :(

Ok, there are two vehicle speed sensors. VSS1 and VSS2. VSS2 is the one that indirectly reads the speed of the front wheels and supplies the signal for the gauge cluster. VSS1 is in the rear of the transmission and indirectly reads the speed of the rear wheels. Which exact code is it throwing, VSS1 or VSS2?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

My car is locked up in my dads shop right now and forgot the exact code off the top of my head, but it's for VSS1 if thats the one that is in the rear of the tranny wired into the solenoid. Like I said before we found some corroded wires this evening that we are going to try and clean on Monday and hopefully even if we have to replace it, we found the problem. I just wanted to know if anyone else has run into anything similar because this check engine light is really getting to me and after all I've been through with my car it really sucks to not be able to drive it now that its running like pure gold. My tags have been expires since Jan. I was driving it on bad tags and only decided to stop when I got pulled over by a prick. I showed him that I had failed the emissions due to my check engine light and even showed him reciepts for some of the parts I had already replaced trying to get it so it would pass and right when he was walking back to his car to write me a ticket this lady came out of nowhere screaming about her gas station getting robbed by a guy with a gun and the cop handed me back my papers and took off. It's been a long week and I was super bummed we didn't get everything fixed before the weekend. I start school again Monday full time so I'll have a lot less time to mess with it. Since Tuesday I replaced my valve cover gaskets, cam seals, pcv, 3 grounds, ecu, all 02 sensors, VSS2, battery cables and I'm probably forgetting a few things. After all this and and the entire day today trouble shooting different wires and relays and grounds I was smoked. Then I pulled a faux fur blanket out to put over the car to keep it from getting scratched by my dad or the other mechs walking around it with tools and a giant clam shell comes flying out of the blanket and slams across my still freshly painted hood leaving a nice skidded scratch mark. I was livid. I may be a grown woman, but by that point I was so pissed off and upset I had to walk away and cry for a few minutes. My car is my main hobby and one of a very small group of things that actually makes me happy and no amount of money is too much for me if it means she'll be happier and the fact that I haven't been able to drive her for 2 months now is taking its toll
Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 PM

take the little check engine bulb out for the inspection?

Keith
Old 08-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

I wish it were that easy, I still need to pinpoint the fault in my wiring, oh yeah and I'm throwing a code for the neutral position switch, but if I take the car out of park and cycle through all the gears the code immediately disappears and it will also show 2 codes for 02 sensors (I forget which bank and whatnot) but after a few seconds those codes will disappear too (its like my car forgets that I replaced all of them.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:43 AM

just for the inspection...

Keith
Old 08-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
just for the inspection...

Keith
I can't. It's just part of the inspection. They scan it for codes even if your light isn't on
Old 08-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If it is constantly throwing a code for VSS1, try removing the sensor. It is a magnetic pick up ring. It is possible that metal and or dirt could be stuck to it. If that doesn't work, try replacing the sensor. You can splice in the wires on the "new" sensor.