How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Manual trans conversion question

Greetings!
In addition to my quest for a good running engine, a very serious consideration for Paul's SVX is converting to a 6MT. I've read the various threads on the subject, so I have a fair idea of what to expect, but who would be a good source for one, and all the bits needed, and what would I pay for what's needed approximately?
Any advice, links, etc would really be appreciated!
Best regards,
Ross
Old 07-19-2012, 12:41 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Manual trans conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsSVX View Post
Greetings!
In addition to my quest for a good running engine, a very serious consideration for Paul's SVX is converting to a 6MT. I've read the various threads on the subject, so I have a fair idea of what to expect, but who would be a good source for one, and all the bits needed, and what would I pay for what's needed approximately?
Any advice, links, etc would really be appreciated!
Best regards,
Ross
Expect to pay at least $2,500.00-$3,000.00 more for a six speed over the cost of a five speed.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Registered SVX

So then $5,000 to $6,500 to covert but the smile on your face will be priceless. Trust me.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the replies so far!
The time is nigh to start formulating a budget. I can't end up blowing five figures on this car, and I know from past experience it's frighteningly easy to do just that!
I'm figuring an '05 trans would be the best? I don't want an active center diff or anything.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 PM

Registered SVX

It all depends an the gear ratio that you would like for the trans.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:00 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Ross,
will you be running a stock or modified engine?
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-19-2012, 03:28 PM

Registered SVX

For the conversion I say just do a five speed... I picked mine up for $300 u can find them cheep. And I made a custom x member cost me like $20 in metal and welded it up. I went with a stage2 racing clutch and 10lbs flywheel
and a set of wrx pedals and clutch slave so heres my price brake down

03 wrx 5mt $300
Clutch with 10lbs flywheel $450
Wrx pedals $70
Wrx slave and master cylnder $40
X member $20
Lengthen drive line 2" 1/4 $200
Wrx starter $40
Blood, sweat, anger putting it together... Priceless lol
So total $1010

Most of it I got on C.L

It was pretty simple to do once u get into it... Plus u dont have to worry about the tranny going out on u
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 07-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Thanks again guys for the input. A 5MT is certainly a consideration, but I love the idea of a 6-spd, plus the ratio spread I believe would suit the engine very well. Tom, I'd plan on it being stock for now, engine-wise, with a nice exhaust. But I have to look very seriously at what I'd be getting myself into. I don't want a money pit on my hands! Besides, it looks like the better half may be losing her job on Monday, so if that really happens, all bets are off. Found out last night.
Anyway, here's what I've found so far: JDM spec used engine, 78k miles, with warranty, $2,500. JDM spec '05 6MT + clutch stuff, pedal box, rear diff, $3,000. That's vanishingly close to my budget, never mind the brakes are shot, the car needs a new radiator, it needs a paint job, and the axles have to be replaced, along with the center support bearing. Interior needs a lot of work too.
So does my love and passion for the SVX extend so far past the car's resale value? I'll have to think long and hard about that.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

If you're not going to do some very substantial power bumping to the engine, I'd say that the six speed is just more mass and more shifting that you don't need.

The gearing between my 5-speed and six speed had nothing to do with the top gear - 75mph was ~3400RPM in 5th in the 5-speed and 6th in the 6-speed. Make no mistake, the sixth gear is not just a long legged one past fifth! In the 6-speed, second gear was lower than that in the 5-speed, which is bad in two ways - it gives you an extra shift as you move through the gears (I skipped it a lot!), and it has a lower top speed in second - detrimental in autocross.

Being me? Unless you neeeeeeed a bulletproof box or you have loot to burn and like bling, you're probably better off with a 5-speed.

Is the "JDM Spec" engine really worth $2500? I got a warrantied stateside engine for $750.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM

Registered SVX

Caution I have heard a lot of horror stories about the JDM motors. Seems they all have 78,00miles but not really. I think Let it snow is on the right page. 6 speed looks nice , would I like to have on probably , but I am very happy with the 5 speed.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
If you're not going to do some very substantial power bumping to the engine, I'd say that the six speed is just more mass and more shifting that you don't need.

The gearing between my 5-speed and six speed had nothing to do with the top gear - 75mph was ~3400RPM in 5th in the 5-speed and 6th in the 6-speed. Make no mistake, the sixth gear is not just a long legged one past fifth! In the 6-speed, second gear was lower than that in the 5-speed, which is bad in two ways - it gives you an extra shift as you move through the gears (I skipped it a lot!), and it has a lower top speed in second - detrimental in autocross.

Being me? Unless you neeeeeeed a bulletproof box or you have loot to burn and like bling, you're probably better off with a 5-speed.

Is the "JDM Spec" engine really worth $2500? I got a warrantied stateside engine for $750.
This guy is right about the 5 speed vs 6 speed thing.

Also, as far as which 6-speed is right for the SVX, I think the 06 USDM one is the best match.

For a 5-speed, a later 04 or 05 WRX 5-speed is the better bet.

Let me put it this way: I have a 6-speed in my blue car, and I love it. But when the trans starts to go in my black one, I'll be shopping for a 5-speed, and not even a WRX one. The two cars have different purposes, and that has to be taken under consideration.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 07-20-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
This guy is right about the 5 speed vs 6 speed thing.

Also, as far as which 6-speed is right for the SVX, I think the 06 USDM one is the best match.

For a 5-speed, a later 04 or 05 WRX 5-speed is the better bet.

Let me put it this way: I have a 6-speed in my blue car, and I love it. But when the trans starts to go in my black one, I'll be shopping for a 5-speed, and not even a WRX one. The two cars have different purposes, and that has to be taken under consideration.
Having the aforementioned 06 6 speed, I think that the 07 has a better gear spread. If you are also adventurous enough, tha 5-6 gear cluster can be replaced to give a better cruising ratio. 65-80 between 2500-3000 rpms
Old 07-21-2012, 11:25 PM

Thanks again so much for the great replies everybody!
After some serious discussion about the car, the budget for it, and the time we'd be able to devote to it, we can't swing it. I'll be posting a classified for it here on this forum. We want you guys to have first shot at it. It's time for it to move on to a new home.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

That is really sad to hear. You seemed excited about it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
That is really sad to hear. You seemed excited about it.
Thanks. Yeah, I really wish that it could stay in the family, but after the numbers-crunching process, we just can't do it. The better half is still in school, I'm going back in the fall, and money's so tight since she'll be out of work for the time being. My hand is too weak, and I have to fold at this game.
Maybe down the road an SVX will find it's way back to the family. I would seriously love that!