IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Spotted an enigma

When dropping my wife off at NSA this morning. We were rerouted through a different set of gates/ checkpoints, due to recent flooding and new security protocols. I was in an area with a totally different parking lot than I was familiar with. In fact, the only thing that was familiar in that lot was a silver SVX.

After dropping her off, I circled back to get a better look. It was raining steadily so I did not spend a lot of time outside checking it out. Here's what I know so far.

Color: Solid Silver. Noticed the side markers in the fender.

Interior: LHD, Gray leather. Looked like our LS-L/ LSi. Noticed the headlight level switch on the console. Which lead me to the front of the car.

Headlights: They were the glass units. Tapped them with my keys to confirm. There was also a EU/ Germany plate on the front.

VIN: could not read the entire VIN, due to fogging and a sticker on the windshield. But I deciphered enough of it to tell that the model year was a 1995.

Went to the rear of the car; a Maryland plate was on there. Took a quick look under the car to see a rear diff and a driveshaft = AWD. Did not want to snoop around the car too much as there are security cameras everywhere and security is already heightened because this is the 9/11 weekend. So I copied the plate number and left.

I called my wife and wanted to see if she could work her magic to access the vehicle database to see the name of the owner and possibly their office location, phone and email. She said that was sensitive information and she would probably not be able to, but we'll see.

To summarize, I found what appears to be a silver, top -of -the-line 1995 Subaru SVX from Germany with AWD. Car looked quite well maintained (but all cars look good when its raining) Since it had MD plates on it it seems to have gotten into the country successfully.

almost forgot one thing... This is the enigma part.

The car had NO sunroof! Just a solid silver roof. Either it was an option in Germany or the owner decided to get rid of it or the original one was damaged and this one was available. If the car is still there when I go back to pick up my wife, I will try to look at the headliner to confirm. While looking over the car something didn't seem right and it was the "something that wasn't there" that stood out against the silver roof.

Inputs or answers are welcome. If I get more info, I post later. I wonder if he would want to sell it? hmmmmmm

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-08-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Spotted an enigma

Did you notice if it had the Euro center tail light and/or rear fog light button.

Also a tell tail sign would be the headlight washing system. (Button on dash and nozzles on front bumper).

Sounds nice anyway!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Did you notice if it had the Euro center tail light and/or rear fog light button.

Also a tell-tale sign would be the headlight washing system. (Button on dash and nozzles on front bumper).

Sounds nice anyway!
Has headlight washer nozzles in front bumper.
Clear corners
Has "manual" button on console and antenna button where our shift lock is.
Has IR security system (I can see the LED slots in the door handles)
Has the euro taillight bar with foglights. Subaru SVX in black letters.
NO spoiler
Center LED brake strip
Stock alloy wheels (on correctly)

By the time I get back to pick her up, it will be too dark to check headliner without shining a flashlight in the windows. not a good idea at all

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 09-08-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Registered SVX

John, where are the photos?? I know you will track down the owner like you did when you bought your pearlie, and he or she will offer it to you. I know you like the idea of having a German SVX You like to be different
Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Not to jump off topic but... John did you realize you butt dialed me earlier. I have a 4 minute voicemail of weird noises. Not sure what you were doing. Just thought I would let you know.

Sounds like a nice car. I want that tailbar so bad.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 09-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I got my European tailbar from ebay.de ... If the ad says they ship to German only, ask if they'll zap it to the U.S. The guy/company/watev told me they'd do it for an additional charge (more for shipping, weird!) and I got it slowboat DHL in a couple of weeks!
clicky:

How many European SVXi do we know of in the States?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

When I picked up my wife at 7:00 this evening, the SVX was gone and was replaced by another vehicle. I will continue to keep an eye out for it and if I find it, you can be sure I will leave a network card with my name and number. I'll even put it in a plastic baggie for weather like today; I was just caught by surprise. I now keep these cards in the Outback.

So, there are a few possibilities; rate the likelihood.

The car is a base model (similar to our L or LS models) with the Active Safety Group and without a sunroof. The owner then swapped out the interior for the leather seats and escaine trim.

The car may have had the sunroof as an option in that market and that year, just as the spoiler was an option, and the owner preferred neither.

The car originally had a sunroof and, whether through an accident or other damage (hail, tree damage, etc.) the roof was replaced with a solid one. This could have been the owner's preference or that the correct one was unavailable at the time.

Last edited by svxcess; 09-08-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

From the Japanese Accessories Catalog:

They are showing the spoiler as an option, but notice the leather interior and no sunroof.

Last edited by RSVX; 09-09-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

And just to keep your interest, I propose this:

While looking at all the photos in my prototype brochure, I cannot find clear evidence that there was one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Linda.jpg (26.8 KB, 411 views)

Old 09-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Spotted an enigma

almost forgot one thing... This is the enigma part.

The car had NO sunroof! Just a solid silver roof. Either it was an option in Germany or the owner decided to get rid of it or the original one was damaged and this one was available. If the car is still there when I go back to pick up my wife, I will try to look at the headliner to confirm. While looking over the car something didn't seem right and it was the "something that wasn't there" that stood out against the silver roof.

Inputs or answers are welcome. If I get more info, I post later. I wonder if he would want to sell it? hmmmmmm

The REAL Enigma sits in the crypto museum within spittin' distance of the parking lot. If you've never visited this place after logging a zillion trips to NSA, FOR SHAME!

EX-Secret agent Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert View Post
[I]almost forgot one thing... This is the enigma part. :confused

The REAL Enigma sits in the crypto museum within spittin' distance of the parking lot. If you've never visited this place after logging a zillion trips to NSA, FOR SHAME!

EX-Secret agent Ron.
I've been in the National Cryptological Musuem at least 50 times. Truly fascinating and great displays The store has a lot of great NSA stuff too.

plus, after 1 1/2 hour on the road each way, 4 times a day, it's got the only decent bathroom before I have to make the trip back home

Last edited by svxcess; 09-09-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

So, there are a few possibilities; rate the likelihood.

The car is a base model (similar to our L or LS models) with the Active Safety Group and without a sunroof. The owner then swapped out the interior for the leather seats and escaine trim.

The car may have had the sunroof as an option in that market and that year, just as the spoiler was an option, and the owner preferred neither.

The car originally had a sunroof and, whether through an accident or other damage (hail, tree damage, etc.) the roof was replaced with a solid one. This could have been the owner's preference or that the correct one was unavailable at the time.

From what you described, Id say it's a European model. Headlamp washers, glass headlamps, rear tail light, all the switches... it's all there.

The Sunroof was an option on overseas models... Need for Speed's black Version L is all leather and no sunroof.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
.And just to keep your interest, I propose this:

While looking at all the photos in my prototype brochure, I cannot find clear evidence that there was one..
You are right on the concept car.... no sunroof.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
From what you described, Id say it's a European model. Headlamp washers, glass headlamps, rear tail light, all the switches... it's all there.

The sunroof was an option on overseas models... Need for Speed's black Version L is all leather and no sunroof.
This explanation is the most logical.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Registered SVX

John, are you still seeing that enigma before your eyes