SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Building it up only to let it go - those who've jumped ship. *LONG*

Without having to say names (4 I can think of off the top of my head, at least), there have been a handful of dedicated members here in the past that have shed blood *literally*, sweat, tears.. I'm sure... and an entire bank roll to not only keep their beloved SVX up to speed but to get it exactly where they want it. From hauling it over completely in stock form all the way up to Koni struts/suspension setups, fresh paint, turbo'd and even modernized or very, very clean/fresh interior... people seem to jump ship and move on, even after all that time.

I'm not talking about Mister Joe who has had the SVX for 5 months only to sell because they don't want to deal with the sudden transmission issue and a radiator leak, I'm talking about the hard core enthusiasts that have been around for years, pumping every last dime and ounce of free time on the weekend to keep the SVX running, only to let it all fade away once peak has been met. Now, you have the SVX you have always wanted. Everything looks great, runs great (for the most part) and has really shaped up into a beauty that you knew it could always be. Do you just get bored, walk away and move on to something more interesting? Is that it? Is it boredom? Hate? Lust for something better?

I understand life is short and there are many other greater things and vehicles to experience but what I can't seem to wrap my head around is someone (or several in this case) investing massive amounts of money and time into their personal SVX only to finally realize it and then let it go for so much less than it is actually worth shortly after. Is it just the want, need or desire to move on? Set it on fire and never look back? With my 2nd SVX soon on the way and the Bordeaux I'm currently driving now, I will say I'm not looking forward to getting any others after this. At the same time, I can't come to ever process the thought of selling the Bordeaux either, even though it still has a ton of $ needing to be invested in it to keep it on the road, especially after some much serious thought given the past few days about it all.

I've had the Bordeaux for 3 years and a month now as of this writing and realistically speaking, it has been a loving pain in the ass. I've only put 42k miles on it, which isn't too bad for just 3 years but I did travel quite a bit out of state. I felt weird this morning realizing that I've spent about $7k on the SVX currently sitting in my driveway that easily needs another $3k invested ($5k to make me really happy, stock) to get it right or where it needs to be. Guess to say I was overly optimistic in picking up a cheap SVX years ago and only needing a few parts here and there was quite a blinding experience to be had, if not a wake up call of sorts. I'm not complaining, it's a great car (really!) and I've learned a ton of things... but this is me speaking outside of the box of euphoria we all get captured in once we have our hearts set on something so dear to us. Talk about commitment. Yet, I'm getting another one, the Laguna, formely Nate1986's SVX that he had fixed up and sold me. It only has 100k'ish miles on it, which I think is fantastic and if problems arise this time around, I'll know mostly what direction to take with it plus it is in far better shape and will make me happy. At least, that is my hope.

Back to the Bordeaux. So say I pump another $5k into it... pushing it for a grand total of $12k in just under 4 years for an 18 year old car.... that is quite a bit of money, no? I don't really consider what I've put into mine nearly as much as the others here who have actually spent much more than I have to get their SVX where they had wanted it, so that's why I can't imagine anyone walking away after dealing with so much. Is it the cost of gas pushing people away? I realize that I get anywhere between 20 to 26mpg on my current SVX, while the Laguna can quite possibly get much closer to 30, but we'll see.

Driving the SVX on the highway today made me think about enjoying the moment with the car and just how much I would miss driving it. I thought how strange it would be that in just 5 years from now I could quite possibly own zero SVX and it would be a thing of the past, no more... driving whatever new boxy car with lackluster design and driving feel to it... which is ultimately what made me think and question about this post in general. Just some thoughts is all... maybe a little too much time to think.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:04 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Building it up only to let it go - those who've jumped ship. *LONG*

I agree. I now have a Laguna that I bought from one of the people that gave up on it to move on..I feel bad for him and I know he hated to do it. I stay in contact with him. I don't think I will never not own an SVX. Last night we went to dinner. We took the wifes 2006 Acura TL. Beautiful car , expensive car , has all the toys bells and whistles etc. (more than the SVX.) BUT it feels like I am driving a TANK. You don't have that low to the ground , power under the foot, Sure footed feel. Something about the SVX feel I can't put my finger on it. I am selling my beloved Pearlie. Had it since 1994 . I hope it goes to a good home. I had people ask to buy it for more than I am selling it for on here . I know they would be the ones you describe above . ( water pump goes or the even the fan belt breaks and the car is on the hook to that scrap heap, type people ) Can't do it.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

I sort of understand this thread. My 96 polo is as perfect as I can get it, and it took a lot of time, effort and money to get it this way. (My engine replacement, exhaust and other needed work was almost $5,000) Total investment is well over $15000. Still in great shape with only 135,000 miles.

And as long as it remains in this condition, I am perfectly happy with it. When parts fail, I plan on replacing them as long as they are available. Its when the parts are no longer available that hard choices come up. If struts became non-existent, Konis and aftermarket struts are an alternative.

I worry every time I drive the SVX that an errant rock will come up and shatter my windshield and that a satisfactory replacement would not be available. I know where the last remaining new OEM bronze windshield is. I could have it shipped to me, but I needlessly worry that it might be damaged in transit and I would be back to square one.

This kind of paranoia makes it easy to think about moving on. But to what?

Would I rather drive a pristine SVX with a used, pitted windshield, as opposed to driving anything else? YES I WOULD!

It would bother me, but not as much as having to give up the thrill of driving the SVX. So it is no longer my daily driver and I limit my exposure, but not driving it on a regular basis also causes problems.

If my SVX was ever totaled beyond repair though, I would probably move on. Even if I found another SVX in immaculate condition, the same problems that plague a 15-20 year old car with a quickly disappearing parts base would still be there.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
Everything looks great, runs great (for the most part) and has really shaped up into a beauty that you knew it could always be. Do you just get bored, walk away and move on to something more interesting? Is that it? Is it boredom? Hate? Lust for something better?
For me I simply realized with the lack of movement to real club support behind it (not a forum where you send money to that you have no idea who's pockets you're lining but a tried and true non-profit dedicated to the preservation of the marque including the buying tooling, reprinting of serice manuals making repro. parts, etc. with a full disclosure of the financials of the organization) that the SVX is quickly writing its footnote as an automotive oddity rather than a future collectable. As much as I liked it I also didn't want to buy 20 of 'em so I could swap parts for the next 30 years only to have a duct tape version of a once great car.

Most I see on the road are quickly deteriorating in the hands of the young and poor and the "good ones" are owned mostly by people should buy art rather than automobiles as they aren't out showing how great of a car the SVX was to bring new blood into the fold but rather dusting and polishing their "collection". The good drivers cars are sadly dissapearing as their owners move on and aren't replaced.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Well, I guess this would apply to me. Maybe not the part about "reaching the peak" but I never thought I'd sell this car off. I knew going in that it would never reach trailer-queen status with it's high mileage and condition, but I really loved driving and improving that car for three years. That's a pretty long time by my standards. I began to fancy myself it's final guardian, and I wouldn't let anything take it off the road. Everything's reparable, for a price, and for the most part that is worth it. Your example of $12K in 4 years breaks down to a $250/month car payments. That's about what I've averaged keeping my ol' timer fresh and improving it along the way, but admittedly I fell behind this summer and it's unforgiving. See my for sale thread for details.

I love my new Volvo. I can see myself driving it for years to come. I doubt it'll ever have the impact on me that SVX ownership has had. Gone is the engaged driving feel, the exclusivity, and the looks. I always looked back at the SVX when I walked away from it in a parking lot... Always. This car is more utilitarian. It's a tool that does more jobs for me better than the SVX could. Having a source like IPD for Volvo is already an eye opener for me. They make a full kit of all the fasteners to restore the rear hatch panel (a weakness on this model). If Cobb, MRT, SPT, etc. supported the SVX in that way then it would be a whole different deal keeping an SVX on the road and in factory fresh condition.

I already miss driving the SVX though. I may never get over that. I just have different demands from a vehicle now than I did when I got the SVX.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I completely understand. It comes down to the feeling that no matter how much I spend; in a day, week or month something else is going to break. Especially when you have dropped a ton a of money on the vehicle it gets to the point where you don't want to spend anymore.

I am not at that point yet but I am thinking another 2-4 years of ownership provided nothing major happens, then I will be ready to move on. I already have a few replacements in mind.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-14-2011, 04:41 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

The only way I am going to get rid of this car is if it is totaled or rusted out with like 250,000 miles running poorly which then I will part it and then junk it.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
For me I simply realized with the lack of movement to real club support behind it (...but a tried and true non-profit dedicated to the preservation of the marque including the buying tooling, reprinting of service manuals making repro. parts, etc.)
I was at a car show yesterday ans saw a BEAUTIFUL 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500. It was correct in every detail and as perfecta "restoration" as you would want.

The amazing thing was that this car was not a garage queen or a trailered vehicle. The owner said that it is driven quite regularly. When I asked him if that did not maker him a little nervous, he replied that any part he needed was readily available.

He further shocked me by by telling me that the entire body was a complete replacement body shell and not one panel was the original. Made of steel and not fiberglass.

Windshield, glass, moldings trim, carpeting, upholstery and interior parts are faithfully reproduced and as authentic as original. The engine and transmission were original and rebuilt to factory specs and the frame was restored with OEM and aftermarket components.

The dash fascia was original and had Carroll Shelby's original signature on it. One of the few old parts on the interior

I envy the position that he enjoys. Any part is available. The tooling, molds and dies are all there. Running low on a part?... just make more.

Same with Corvettes.

Maybe Subaru never intended this car to live forever; just a stepping stone in its evolution

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 08-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I was at a car show yesterday ans saw a BEAUTIFUL 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500. It was correct in every detail and as perfecta "restoration" as you would want.

The amazing thing was that this car was not a garage queen or a trailered vehicle. The owner said that it is driven quite regularly. When I asked him if that did not maker him a little nervous, he replied that any part he needed was readily available.

He further shocked me by by telling me that the entire body was a complete replacement body shell and not one panel was the original. Made of steel and not fiberglass.

Windshield, glass, moldings trim, carpeting, upholstery and interior parts are faithfully reproduced and as authentic as original. The engine and transmission were original and rebuilt to factory specs and the frame was restored with OEM and aftermarket components.

The dash fascia was original and had Carroll Shelby's original signature on it. One of the few old parts on the interior

I envy the position that he enjoys. Any part is available. The tooling, molds and dies are all there. Running low on a part?... just make more.

Same with Corvettes.

Maybe Subaru never intended this car to live forever; just a stepping stone in its evolution

You're on crack if Chevy or Ford ever intended their cars to live forever either. They are a business in the business to make money, just as Subaru is.
The difference is what Chevy and Ford stopped making, the clubs stepped in and reproduced. Same reason why I can get virtually every part for a 26 year old car that less than 2000 were made and the factory closed 4 years ago or because you can buy a brand new back to the future mobile in boxes. The owners collectively cared enough to invest in the cars future. That is why I no longer own an SVX. The apathy!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
You're on crack if Chevy or Ford ever intended the Mustang or Corvette to live forever. They are a business in the business to make money, just as Subaru is.
When Ford created the Mustang back in 1964, they aimed at 10,000 cars a year. When they reached the 1,000,000 car mark just eighteen months later, they knew they had a winner. They took a chance and departed from their mainstream designs to introduce something radically new. Priced and marketed well.

Over 35 years later, the Mustang is still going strong. Same with the Corvette at almost 60. The manufacturer's identity is tightly intertwined with these cars, which have in a way become legendary.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
When Ford created the Mustang back in 1964, they aimed at 10,000 cars a year. When they reached the 1,000,000 car mark just eighteen months later, they knew they had a winner. They took a chance and departed from their mainstream designs to introduce something radically new. Priced and marketed well.

Over 35 years later, the Mustang is still going strong. Same with the Corvette at almost 60. The manufacturer's identity is tightly intertwined with these cars, which have in a way become legendary.

And there were what 3 SVXs made for every Delorean made but yet you can still get door sills, floor mats and windshields for them because those who owned them wanted to see them live on.

As for the Mustang being radically new, what b/c it had safety glass? It didn't even have its own frame. The Corvette took until the 3rd gen to catch on. Yes they have grown into legends because people cared enough to maintain them, drive them and invest in their future. Not because Chevy or Ford gave a rats a$$ about anything but sales of their current line up.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
And there were what 3 SVXs made for every Delorean made but yet you can still get door sills, floor mats and windshields for them because those who owned them wanted to see them live on.
Actually the Delorean windshields are NOS from the factory spares recently recovered. There were 2 types of DMC windshields available and the one with the antenna is NLA. Sounds a lot like our bronze windshield!

You are correct about SVX parts though. And you are also correct that we do lack a unified focus on what we need to prepare for the future. I am envious of my buddies Jaguar... he can get anything he wants from multiple sources.... so simple! And he has a 1964 E-Type!

We need to look into getting organized and seeing what exactly is remaining at Subaru... There are so many mixed reports that I'm not sure what to believe. But the time will come when we do have to address these issues about parts... and I'm not talking about engine, braking, and drive train components, etc... those will always be around. It's the body, trim, glass, interior, and other more fragile and exclusive parts that will be the problem. I.E.:

The windshield... I suppose it can be replicated, but forget about the integrated rubber molding and a titanium oxide coating.

The rubber door trim that surrounds the entire door is another perfect example. It is not some simple strip of rubber... but an extremely complex molded piece with multiple reinforcements. And that's not the only one... there are special "SVX only" uber expensive pieces of metal, rubber, glass and plastic all over this car. Reproducing these types of items will be super expensive, if not impossible.... if it ever comes down to that. It is these types of items that bleach wear and take abuse that concern me.

So far, I have had absolutely no problems getting most of these types of parts for the SVX from Subaru as I slowly replace worn and faded/cracked items... trim, interior parts, window rubber seals, release buttons for the rear seat and other obscure part. But how long do we have? And maybe we should start looking into a program.

I have plans to start showing my car at meets and shows in SoCal... To prepare I've recently been putting a ton of work into my SVX... We did an extensive amount of work on the engine... new timing belt, idlers, cam seals, water pump, valve cover gaskets, new plugs, new diff oil, transmission filter and fluid change, etc. I also installed some powder coated radiator supports and alternator/AC brackets. All this on an engine with less than 40,000 miles. Next week I am attacking the suspension, replacing brake calipers, rotors, bearings, fixing the rattles and generally tuning up the underneath of the car. It is a second car for me now... It is too hard to have an SVX as a daily driver and keep up with the maintenance.

I want this car to be a prime example of what the SVX was/is and gain some clout in the car shows and meets down here.

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 08-14-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

This happened with me. I spent an incredible amount of money updating my previous svx and keeping it on the road. I then sold it and moved on. After a few years of emptiness, I had an opportunity to purchase a pearlie with only 40k miles on it. I bought it, and being older and with better resources, I made it EXACTLY what I wanted. Now that I have it, I have to admit I'm pretty bored with it. If somebody offered me the right amount of money, I'd send it down the road.
2001 Audi S8
Old 08-15-2011, 06:21 AM

The thing with 60s Mustangs and the like is, they made so many of them, there exists a strong market for reproduction parts. Want to manufacture aftermarket stuff for the SVX? Good luck making the numbers work.

My problem is I just don't have the budget to give 'em the TLC they deserve. They're sound mechanically but far, far, far from pristine. And I've never been one to spend a Saturday going over one with Armor All and Q-tips. Like my '68 Mustang that finally gave up the ghost in the early 90s, I'll probably drive these things until they finally require some insanely expensive repair.

Yesterday I took the teal for a run on a twisty Tennessee/North Carolina country highway. Man, what heart that old car has. Strong. I'm not the least bit bored.

dcb
Old 08-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX

Honestly I purchased my current 96 with the hope that I could keep it running until I killed it. That hasn't worked out. Simply put, I am not willing to pay the rates that shops are asking to look at this car, and despite my belief to the contrary it's become abundantly clear that I don't have the time to work on it myself that I once thought I did. I have reached a point in my life where my days are so full that I have a stack of new parts to be installed on my SVX and no time to actually get down and dirty with it.

As a result, I'm buying a new car... like new new. I am getting one that'll be under warranty for a while, and even includes oil changes for the first couple of years. That way when I need something done I can drop it off, take a loaner and come back to pick it up after work. To me, this peace of mind is worth it.

I loved the SVX... I have loved all four of them that I've owned, though I have to admit the current 96 is by far the best. Problem is... I can't keep up any more. I want to keep the car but I have no room or time to dedicate to it, and I don't want it to rot. As a result, it'll be up for sale soon... I'll probably list it in the next few days as soon as I have a more realistic production schedule in my hands (complicated... don't quite know when I'm getting the car yet)

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.