How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-04-2002, 06:56 PM
Jayjay

Help Me Out Everybody

yo whats up this is jayjay. im trying to buy a svx and i dont know what to look for. cause ive seen a lot of nice cars but svx seems to be the car i want to have. do any body know what would be the price for a svx. i mean round up the price. and how i can find one, and ofcourse which one would be the best to buy. SO PLEASE HELP ME OUT IN BUYING A SVX. THANKS.... PEACEOUT
Old 09-04-2002, 10:24 PM
squiggy

browse around in the sell/wanted/parts forum you'll get alot of info there..depends on the year you want..model..condition etc...but keep in mind if you don't have alot of $$ to spend on buying it ...how do you think you'll pay for any needed repairs...keep in mind the latest model is a 1997 making it AT LEAST a 6 year old car..and unless you can vouch for the owner any 6 year old car will nickel and dime you into the poorhouse...
Old 09-05-2002, 05:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
just a warning...

...buying an SVX is like making a committment. Make sure you are financially prepared for what's coming up in the future in order to keep it (transmission, wheel bearings and all other repairs), because once you own one, it is hard to let go...

The more money I spent on mine, the more I want to keep it.

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 09-05-2002, 11:27 AM
Ca$h

YO check dis out G. Da SVX is da bomb yo but yous gotsta watch out for its pizz-roblems. See, its like dis: SVXs are super dope-track-a-listic but chu best be watching out for da transmission being a ho, know what I'm saying G? So da transmission be giving you all that 'tude if it overheats, then tis like "b*tch, give me money! I want a new transmission yo!" so you's best be looking for a fly ass SVX with a new transmission yo. Da other thang yous gotsta keep yo' peeps out fo is da rear wheel bearings yo. See, day like to go out and den yous gotsta replace em and da svx is all "B*tch, gimmie money!" But other than that stuff, which aint no thang but a chicken wang, SVXs are ultra dope. Man, you's can install a killa stereo and put 4 12"s in the back, den yous best put on some 20 inch dubs, know what I'm saying? Den you be the flyest dopest tightest G dare EVA wuz.

WERD.

- Ca$h

:P
Old 09-05-2002, 01:09 PM

well jayjay, welcome to the network first of all....

secondly don't ca$h got the illie flow, you hearrd?? LMAO

Kelli

Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
YO check dis out G. Da SVX is da bomb yo but yous gotsta watch out for its pizz-roblems. See, its like dis: SVXs are super dope-track-a-listic but chu best be watching out for da transmission being a ho, know what I'm saying G? So da transmission be giving you all that 'tude if it overheats, then tis like "b*tch, give me money! I want a new transmission yo!" so you's best be looking for a fly ass SVX with a new transmission yo. Da other thang yous gotsta keep yo' peeps out fo is da rear wheel bearings yo. See, day like to go out and den yous gotsta replace em and da svx is all "B*tch, gimmie money!" But other than that stuff, which aint no thang but a chicken wang, SVXs are ultra dope. Man, you's can install a killa stereo and put 4 12"s in the back, den yous best put on some 20 inch dubs, know what I'm saying? Den you be the flyest dopest tightest G dare EVA wuz.

WERD.

- Ca$h

:P
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Jayjay

DAMN

yo guys thanks man, im tryin to buy one of them joints but i dont know if it last long. i mean ya scarin me man, about the whole transmition and everythin. if i wanna buy one im a get the 96 or 97 joints and its gonna be manuel transmition does that change anythin about the transmition prob or...? i mean am i gonna spend a lot of money just to repair it or what, cause i can afford the car, + im trying to do a little somethin somethin to it too so i dont know. Down here in MD there are so many supped up cars but i aint seen one svx in em so thats why i like it, its special. Wat im askin is:IS IT GONNA WORTH BUYIN IT OR NOT?.......
Old 09-05-2002, 01:46 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

We Merryland folks sho gots funy ax-scents.
Yeah - Dat '97 wif da 5 speed be da wheels fo yo butt!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:07 PM
Ca$h

I'm going to be honest with you: Don't get an SVX. I base this PURELY because of what you posted.

Alright, you can't spell worth a damn, and bad spelling and grammar generally means uneducated and somewhat low on money. The SVX is a good car, but its also classy. From the way you talk and (attempt to) type, I 'm guessing that a 64 Impala with hydros would be more of your class. So yeah, the SVX is going to be an investment, if you beat on it it'll most likely beat back with high cost repair bills, and you can't really soup them up (you can make them look better, but making them faster ....eh... they just don't go that fast). So yeah, in my opinion, don't get one. But hey, maybe I'm completely wrong and "JayJay" isn't some gangsta thug name and you're intelligent and have enough money to maintain an SVX properly and you're prepared for it. Who knows.

- Ca$h
Old 09-05-2002, 02:45 PM

A 96 or 97 is definitely your best bet for trouble free (less?) motoring. However, you are unlikely to find a manual transmission since Subaru did not offer one and modified cars are very rare. The automatics in the latter years were improved and will hopefully last longer.

As for me, I love my 97 and would highly recommend it to anyone willing to make the commitment. They are not cheap, and any likely repairs will be expensive as is an extended warranty (my choice to sleep better). They are also quite fast and will urge you to "bend" speeding laws. This can be a dangerous mix for any young driver.

Quite a few things to ponder.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:07 PM
I_Alcyone_I

They didn't come stock with 5 Speed, so ontop of the original price you'll probobly drop another 4 thousand to get it converted.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
What's with the ebonics?

I thought I left that back with the H-A crowd?

-mike
Old 09-05-2002, 04:29 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: DAMN

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayjay
yo guys thanks man, im tryin to buy one of them joints but i dont know if it last long. i mean ya scarin me man, about the whole transmition and everythin. if i wanna buy one im a get the 96 or 97 joints and its gonna be manuel transmition does that change anythin about the transmition prob or...? i mean am i gonna spend a lot of money just to repair it or what, cause i can afford the car, + im trying to do a little somethin somethin to it too so i dont know. Down here in MD there are so many supped up cars but i aint seen one svx in em so thats why i like it, its special. Wat im askin is:IS IT GONNA WORTH BUYIN IT OR NOT?.......

If anyone should know how expensive the SVX can get, there are two people on this board that you should talk to Leo (1994SVX) is one and the other person is me. I sank in about 10k on the first 94. SVXes in general are nice. Like anything and everything in life, if it was taken care of at a young age, it will grow up to be a nice thing. Same goes for the SVX. if the car was taken care of nicely, the tranny will last for ever. I just sold a SVX with an original tranny at 146k on the clock. As for the repairs, they do cost a ton of money if you want to do ir right. If you want to take shortcuts, you will see problems everywhere. SVX is a special car. You will not see very many of them unless you search for them. As for modding the SVX, good luck with it. Not many upgrades are out there at all for the SVX. Apart from that, good luck with the search and welcome to the club.

-- L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-05-2002, 05:05 PM
alacrity024

Quote:
bad spelling and grammar generally means uneducated and somewhat low on money.
*buries his head in his hands*
Old 09-05-2002, 06:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024

*buries his head in his hands*
I'll second that
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:43 PM
svxeno

Expensive?

Jay jay,

The first real expense I had was a tranny rebuild for $2700.00. This is from an aquaintance who runs a tranny shop so the price is pretty good. (Included synth fluid and new tranny cooler)

Just so you know what you may be getting into. I STILL love the car though!

Can we get thru one thread without taking a pot shot at someone else?

Randy (Joining the buried head in hand crowd of two) ii