Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2011, 02:47 PM
The Molinator

CENTER BEARING on Propelor Drive Shaft

What indicates center bearing needs replacement?

My car .. on turning sharply from a stop.. and accelerating.. makes a creaking and sometimes rotational/vibrational noise?? Under the car, I notice the drive shaft hangs down in the rubber center bearing mount quite a bit.. . Is that normal? I can easily push the propelor shaft up and down about an inch in that soft rubber circular mount??

Gotta order today from SubaruParts.com at 15% if possible..

Thanks..
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:41 PM

Re: CENTER BEARING on Propelor Drive Shaft

That would only be normal if the thing is worn out!
Looks like you already nailed it!
Keith
Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
That would only be normal if the thing is worn out!
Looks like you already nailed it!
Keith
And how normal, is "normal", in that case?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 PM
The Molinator

Forgot to mention.. This stuff started over a year ago. Then, I took off the sheet metal heat deflector between the exhaust pipes and the propellor drive shaft.. BECAUSE THE DRIVESHAFT WAS (WHEN DOING THIS WEIRD SOUND.. CREAKING AND ROTATIONAL/OSCILLATING NOISE) BANGING AGAINST THE HEAT SHIELD.. REALLY MAKING A RACKIT! SO, it's clear the center bearing must have been allowing the propellor shaft joint to wobble! I just don't know if it's a defective center bearing (rubber mount) or an engine or AT mount forcing the soft rubber center bearing mount to allow the wobble enough to have the driveshaft to hit the heat shield (?). This would only occur under extreme noise-making.. like rotating sharply (left or right) in a tight circle (parking lot) for 1 or 2 times around (light pole or tree).

I think I shud return the heat shield.. It must be there for some reason.. especially with the heat in summer (Fresno).. might fry the U-Joints..or center bearing.. ??

Well.. I ordered yesterday??? cuz no response here to discourage me???
I'll let y'all know.. .

Thanks..

P.S. Thot it also might be engine or AT mounts.. allowing them to twist back and forth??? But seems AT install mechanic put new AT mount.. and it seems even one or both of the engine mounts had been replaced.. ?? I KNOW, my records aren't complete.. .
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 05-31-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:01 PM
The Molinator

Evidently, SubaruParts.com dint get my order for the (Inhibitor Switch and) Center Bearing during the weekend sale as I thot?? Does anyone have any (Inhibitor Switches from dead AT's that might still be good? Or shud I order new one for $91? Also, how about) center bearing.. they are $170?

Help?

Thanks..
Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 PM
The Molinator

NEVER MIND... SubaruParts.com just called to say they ARE shipping the parts!

Thanks..

P.S. If u hav any info or threads about center bearing .. or U-joint noise, please respond ..
Old 06-04-2011, 05:49 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Can the carrier bearing be replaced on 1 piece shafts or only on 2 piece shafts?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Fairmont State University
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Can the carrier bearing be replaced on 1 piece shafts or only on 2 piece shafts?
One piece drive shaft = no carrier bearing

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

"Be kind to your motor car." - Jackie Stewart
Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarwhiz View Post
One piece drive shaft = no carrier bearing
All the subaru driveshafts have carrier bearings.

He is referring to the LSi models having a "1 piece" driveshaft that is technically 2 pieces, and the L model driveshaft that is referred to the "2 piece" driveshaft as it can come out in 2 pieces, but is technically a 3 piece driveshaft.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Fairmont State University

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
All the subaru driveshafts have carrier bearings.

He is referring to the LSi models having a "1 piece" driveshaft that is technically 2 pieces, and the L model driveshaft that is referred to the "2 piece" driveshaft as it can come out in 2 pieces, but is technically a 3 piece driveshaft.
Sorry didn't know. Mine are all one piece then.

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

"Be kind to your motor car." - Jackie Stewart
Old 06-05-2011, 05:55 PM
The Molinator

Has anyone had an issue with the driveshaft.. CENTER BEARING ... or U-JOINTS??? I have a crazy noise when turning sharply/accelerating!

When I circle sharply in a parking lot.. It makes a creaking.. AND THEN shaking rotational noise.. like an axle joint was bad.. but sorta sounds like coming from the area just below/between the two front seats! Thats why I looked into center bearing.. when I saw it hanging so low.. but maybe that's normal when jacked up? I did remove the heat shield between the exhaust pipe and propellor shaft.. cuz when it did this severely.. THE PROPELLOR SHAFT WUD BANG AGAINST THE HEAT SHIELD>> MAKING A REAL RACKET!

HeLp!

Thanks..
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 AM
The Molinator

GOT the Center Bearing! Don't think it's my CrEaKiNg problem now (cuz seems a little soft [rubber mount] like my old one!), but Creak is getting really bad now.. having a friend ride with me this weekend if at all possible (before the driveshaft falls off.. and jack-knifes me upside down on the freeway!)

HMMM???

Thanks ..
Old 07-09-2011, 06:50 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

Have you checked the condition of your transmission mount?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 AM
The Molinator

No..But I think it was replaced when used/rebuilt AT was installed about 3 years ago..I will check my installation invoice. How wud I check the existing mount?

Thanks..
Old 07-10-2011, 07:09 AM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

One or both of the 2 rubber blocks on the left and right center of the mount will have separated from the metal.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel