How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM

Passenger door STUCK shut/on lock

The stupid thing will not unlock or open in any way. Peeled off some of the panel so I can see the lock linkage etc, tried to manipulate it a little but seemed almost impossible. Anybody have an idea of how the mechanism linkage works? Or a diagram by chance? It really sucks, passengers have to bail over the console... Not a pretty sight lol
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Passenger door STUCK shut/on lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooandbio4me View Post
The stupid thing will not unlock or open in any way. Peeled off some of the panel so I can see the lock linkage etc, tried to manipulate it a little but seemed almost impossible. Anybody have an idea of how the mechanism linkage works? Or a diagram by chance? It really sucks, passengers have to bail over the console... Not a pretty sight lol
similar but opposite thing happened to mine a while back ,
the little clamp on the power locking motor came loose and slid down the lock linkage and jammed when i tried to lock it . mine was unlocked so it was easy to take the door card off and fix it up .
only thing i can suggest that may work if you put the window most of the way down or all the way take a look with a torch and get a metal ruler and try to snag the power lock motor clamp loose of where its jammed on the linkage
Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Is it the lock lever that is jammed?

If so disconnect the battery for a minute. Try to unlock while the battery is disconnected.

Sometimes the servo for the door lock lever get stuck in a continuous cycle and keeps forcing itself locked. In the past I've only heard of it happening on the drivers side, but this sounds like the same thing.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

When I bought my car the passenger door was jammed in the locked position. I could only open it by reaching across inside and forcing the lock tab down while my passenger opened the door from the outside. I just removed the lock actuator completely and later replaced it with a junkyard one. My power locks have never worked, so it wasn't much of a sacrifice for me.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 05-10-2011, 09:12 PM

Registered SVX

Pull # 13 fuse under the dash . That is the lock fuse . The locks will work like they did on a 1957 car.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 PM

Well i've tried unlocking it with the battery d/c. I assume that would be the same as pulling the fuse? It feels like it's the lock mechanism itself is bound or something, i don't know if that makes any sense... I'd basically be willing to completely disengage/dc the lock altogether.. i'll just keep nothing in the car haha.. I just don't know what i'm looking for in there and havent found a diagram that explains it.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Once you have the interior panel off it's pretty clear what part isn't working. Below the door latch is a black plastic module. That's your culprit.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Once you have the interior panel off it's pretty clear what part isn't working. Below the door latch is a black plastic module. That's your culprit.
I would imagine, but the problem is that the door is stuck shut... Below the latch.. alrighty. So disconnect the linkage you think?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Phil & Belha

The problem happens when the lock motor stops in a halfway position. If the motor is fully open or closed then you can operate the mechanical levers. But if the motor is stopped halfway then they are jammed.

To fix it, you need to force the mechanism on the end of the motor to either the fully open or closed position. But I can't see a way of doing that with the door stuck closed.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 05-16-2011, 05:24 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
The problem happens when the lock motor stops in a halfway position. If the motor is fully open or closed then you can operate the mechanical levers. But if the motor is stopped halfway then they are jammed.

To fix it, you need to force the mechanism on the end of the motor to either the fully open or closed position. But I can't see a way of doing that with the door stuck closed.
I can. Force the unlock thingy open. Might break something, but nothing that's not replaceable. Door locks are something that needs to work...

Point is, you gotta get the door open to fix the door opening problem.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I can. Force the unlock thingy open. Might break something, but nothing that's not replaceable. Door locks are something that needs to work...

Point is, you gotta get the door open to fix the door opening problem.
Right but how?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:46 PM

It may be down to cutting a hole in the door card?

Here are some pics that show about where the holes are, these pics are the drivers door, but it would mirror the passenger door. The hole to the upper left of these photos is where you need to get into.

https://picasaweb..com/hocrest1/Window#

Is your car grey? I have a door panel you can have for the cost of shipping. The Ecsaine may not be in the best shape, but if yours is better you can swap it over.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:12 AM

Thanks dave! It's tan... and I actually have a grey door panel... So i know i'm seeming more and more stupid but I can't seem to find what i'm looking for in those pics...
Old 05-17-2011, 03:08 PM

That is the drivers door with the panel removed. On this picture;

The hole behind "Top two, points, regulator" is the hole that you need to reach into to work the lock and latch by hand.

I didn't have any pictures of the mechanism itself, I just wanted to show about where you need to cut a hole in the door panel.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 PM

Registered SVX

you might save yourself a lot of trouble if you have your mechanic use a slim jim to open the door, or buy a slim jim from harbour freight, mine was less than 5 dollars and works fine