Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM

Emergency brake relocation?

so i was driving home last night and thought of a idea and just wondering if anyone has done it. i was thinking about getting a different style emergency brake and install it next to the left of the gear selector. it would have be a normal style lever to look decent i think. now that the emergency brake is out of the way some how fab up a cup holder where the old emergency brake was. any ideas or input would be awesome.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: Emergency brake relocation?

I really hope this is possible. I've thought about this fir a couple of years.

Especially since my emergency brake doesn't work anyway and hasn't since I got the car.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 AM

im hoping so too i guess im going to start looking for the right brake handle now
Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace-frog View Post
im hoping so too i guess im going to start looking for the right brake handle now
I'd start looking at the area you want to mount it to first to see if there is enough room to put the anchor assembly in... considering the tunnel has to accommodate the drive shaft and shifter up there as well.

Pull the center console and the carpet up and have a look...

Also maybe look into a 2006+ WRX or STi e-brake assembly, as they already have a left side mount design.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Registered SVX

i have toyed with the idea of doing a pull out style brake under the dash, like old cars from the fifties and 90's 4 runners. it would be nice to mount it just right and down from the column where it was flush with the knee pad when off but pulled out a little when on. probably a lot of work though.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
i have toyed with the idea of doing a pull out style brake under the dash, like old cars from the fifties and 90's 4 runners. it would be nice to mount it just right and down from the column where it was flush with the knee pad when off but pulled out a little when on. probably a lot of work though.
Yeah my '84 Olds had something like this one except you pressed with your foot to engage it and released it by pulling a handle..
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Personally I'd prefer this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIN-Car-Mitsubis...0#ht_525wt_907

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-26-2011, 07:10 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
For posterity:

I too would like to try out one of this style. I've been looking for a single-din head unit for a while now for that very reason.
Attached Images
File Type: png cupholder.png (331.8 KB, 299 views)
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

The Gen 2 Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable had that style of cupholder. I would imagine they're fairly plentiful in junk yards.

As for the parking brake though... When people look inside my car it's probably one of the number one things they notice so I kind of like having a unique setup.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
The Gen 2 Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable had that style of cupholder. I would imagine they're fairly plentiful in junk yards.

As for the parking brake though... When people look inside my car it's probably one of the number one things they notice so I kind of like having a unique setup.
I just notice how damn huge it is and in the way..
Old 04-27-2011, 09:15 AM

i agree it is unique and people comment all the time i bought that one from ebay ill post pics when i get it up.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

The DIN thing looks great but it kind of limits any room for other mods.

Take my enormous touch screen car computer for example.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
For posterity:

I too would like to try out one of this style. I've been looking for a single-din head unit for a while now for that very reason.
Wow, I really like that. I think I am going to get rid of my pocket and put one of those in. Thanks for the tip.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-27-2011, 02:13 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

The top drawer of this thing is a little pocket.

Those that ordered these, let us know the quality, etc.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-27-2011, 06:17 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
The top drawer of this thing is a little pocket.

Those that ordered these, let us know the quality, etc.
and for you sir...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIN-Car-Carbon-F...b#ht_525wt_907

Before anyone thinking about getting one of these, the bezel should be taken into account. Junk yard might be a safer bet because you know what your getting before you buy.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel