Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM

No start....how do I test coils& igniter.

I have a no-start isssue with my EG33, here is some back ground info.

95 legacy swapped with a 1992 OBD1 Eg33. The car works perfect, no CEL's and pulls very hard and runs very smooth. This car is built for rally-x and everything is wired in like the factory SVX.

I de-greased and pressure washed the engine bay first thing this morning, I covered the igniter and alt. The car was running perfect afterwords ran it for 5min or so. I shut her down and went to bed since I work backshift.

The temp dropped well below freezing over the day, come out this evening to shuffle cars around in the driveway and the legacy won't start. She cranks over fine/fast, and I can hear the pump running.

How do I go about testing the coils and the igniter and the injectors. I plan on pulling off a few parts and bringing them into the house to get them up to room temp for the day to see if they will thaw out...lol.

Any input or advice, other then don't wash electronis in the winter

thanks,
Ian
Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
more windows then a minivan..

Registered SVX
Re: No start....how do I test coils& igniter.

I would bring it inside somehow and let it thaw out you prolly have water in a connector and now its frozen... Let it dry out good and you should be good to go.
*1994 5 speed, Barcelona Red W/ Black ebony pearl top FWD*murrano wheels,lowered with motorsports springs drilled and slotted rotors 20% tint,swapped in leather seats,full exhaust cat delete,15 min mod, red F&R energy bushings
Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli-Mech View Post
I have a no-start isssue with my EG33, here is some back ground info.

95 legacy swapped with a 1992 OBD1 Eg33. The car works perfect, no CEL's and pulls very hard and runs very smooth. This car is built for rally-x and everything is wired in like the factory SVX.

I de-greased and pressure washed the engine bay first thing this morning, I covered the igniter and alt. The car was running perfect afterwords ran it for 5min or so. I shut her down and went to bed since I work backshift.

The temp dropped well below freezing over the day, come out this evening to shuffle cars around in the driveway and the legacy won't start. She cranks over fine/fast, and I can hear the pump running.

How do I go about testing the coils and the igniter and the injectors. I plan on pulling off a few parts and bringing them into the house to get them up to room temp for the day to see if they will thaw out...lol.

Any input or advice, other then don't wash electronis in the winter

thanks,
Ian
When you pressured washed it, water may have entered into the coil/plug area. Running it, turned it to vapor, that has now turned to ice.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:12 PM

I got her up and running again. It was the cam position sensor connector it was packed solid with ice.