IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Vac line on throttle body

Hi all. In the midst of my 6-speed swap I accidentally broke off this vacuum line going to the throttle body. I could really use some help with how to retrieve the one from my parts car without breaking that one too. Also, how do I get it back on the "right" way? I could really use some help asap so I can get the car back to running.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sp_svx_engine1.jpg (100.7 KB, 2293 views)
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Vac line on throttle body

I broke the connector off the end of whatever dodad it connects to under the manifold over a year ago trying to change the PCV valve on my black car. It seems to run great without it.
I'd sure like to know what it is though.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Registered SVX

Cool thanks. I'm hoping to get to the starting up part of the 6-speed swap tomorrow, so I guess I'll just see how it goes. Snapping like that probably means it's time to change all the vacuum lines though...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Registered SVX

15 bucks if you get the package i got from jeggs. It will cover everything under the manifold and some more. I can get the product code for you if you'd like.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
15 bucks if you get the package i got from jeggs. It will cover everything under the manifold and some more. I can get the product code for you if you'd like.
These are the silicone ones you were asking about? Yea I'd really like that number that seems like a really good deal.

Good news though; I did some poking around my spare engine and this particular vacuum line leads to the charcoal canister. Which means you can block it off practically without consequence. I deleted the charcoal canister already, so I really couldn't have picked a better line to snap.

@ Blacky, I would block it off with like a screw or something if you didn't already, so you don't have a vacuum leak. You also might as well ditch the charcoal canister since it's just a waste of weight/space.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

That's good to know.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:35 AM

Registered SVX

OK the pictures help, but how do I remove the throttle body ? What exactly is being removed ? The close up pictures helped , but us guys unfamiliar with the engine can't fig out what they are of
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

There's 6 bolts that hold the throttle body to the intake manifold. Sometimes a diagram helps

Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 AM

I've change all the vacuum hoses under the manifold last weekend in my '94 SVX. That particular hose goes to an electrovalve that connects to the charcoal canister. the canister connects to the gasoline tank. That is why sometimes you hear the vacuum when you open the gas tank to refill. This electrovalve operates almost once per second when you leaves the throttle position on the gas pedal. Does somebody knows why does the canister exist and how is it suppose to work?
BTW, if you cancel this vacuum circuit, you must close the hose that comes from the gas tank.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NEW GUY View Post
BTW, if you cancel this vacuum circuit, you must close the hose that comes from the gas tank.
NO. If you have the gas tank completely sealed, then it will crumple when it gets cold and shrinks and expand when it gets hot. You vent it, either with a vented gas cap, or using the lines.

The charcoal canister is for emissions. That way the gas tank can be vented, and the gas will be stored trapped in the charcoal, until the valve opens and sucks it into the intake, where it's safely burned.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Registered SVX

None of the charcoal canister stuff has anything to do with removing the throttle body. Once you take off the intake, getting the TB off will be pretty obvious, there are several (6?) bolts with the heads pointing toward the back of the car. Some you'll need an extension to get to since they're recessed in a hole.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
NO. If you have the gas tank completely sealed, then it will crumple when it gets cold and shrinks and expand when it gets hot. You vent it, either with a vented gas cap, or using the lines.

The charcoal canister is for emissions. That way the gas tank can be vented, and the gas will be stored trapped in the charcoal, until the valve opens and sucks it into the intake, where it's safely burned.
The vacuum line that goes to the gas tank have a check valve to avoid gases comming back to the tank. That means the tank was made to work under vacuum without crumple. If you cacel the vacuum system that sucks the vapors trapped in the charcoal, then IŽd reccomend to close the hose that comes from the tank and let the air gap inside the tanks to asume the gas consuption empty space and the temperature differences.
Thanks for the explanation on how the canister works, icingdeath88.

Last edited by THE NEW GUY; 06-19-2011 at 10:30 PM.