Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
first drive in over two years, trans problems.

alright, so i got the car back on the road for the first time in 2.5 years or so, after a trans replacement. problem is, it takes forever to shift, it will just hold for a while before it does, and when i got on it hard, WOT, it shifted at just under 4k rpm. So it doesnt like to shift, and when you want it to not shift, it shifts way early. any ideas?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: first drive in over two years, trans problems.

Check the throttle position sensor. Is it slipping and revving up or just holding gear forever?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:34 PM

just holding for ever. i was driving down my side road, 25mph speed limit, and it held first for a while. when i pulled on to a main street, wot and shifted way early.would low fluid cause that? it was good when i checked before i took it out and ran through the gears.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
alright, so i got the car back on the road for the first time in 2.5 years or so, after a trans replacement. problem is, it takes forever to shift, it will just hold for a while before it does, and when i got on it hard, WOT, it shifted at just under 4k rpm. So it doesnt like to shift, and when you want it to not shift, it shifts way early. any ideas?
Two questions, is this a professionally rebuilt trans or a used trans? (stock gears?)
Did you check for transmission trouble codes yet? Also trans fluid checks are best done after sitting at idle in park for approx. 30 minutes to get the trans fluid up to normal operating temp then run it through the gears. Go back to park and check it with engine still running for hot fluid level.

Edit: when I say "best done" it is more of my opinion since I can't back it up but know it won't hurt.

Last edited by sowise; 04-14-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:55 AM

ok, so got the car registered, and all of that. i checked trouble codes, and i got the tps code and left knock sensor code. the trans check came up clear though.

im confused with the knock sensor code, i replaced that sensor(which was a pain) and realized the tps sensor harness wasnt plugged in to the point of the harness clipping on, so i got that up all the way, and cleared the codes, and rechecked to make sure they were clear.

about 6 hours later, the CEL lit right back up, and i rechecked, it came up tps, knock sensor and pressure sensor. can anyone give me any advice? the trans still seems to be slightly slipping, like its sending power, but not 100% from any speed under medium and higher throttle, and doesnt shift when it should.

side note, none of my interior lights work, no dash lights and no dome lights or the button activated lights. i checked the fuses, and every last one works, and is the right amps.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
ok, so got the car registered, and all of that. i checked trouble codes, and i got the tps code and left knock sensor code. the trans check came up clear though.

im confused with the knock sensor code, i replaced that sensor(which was a pain) and realized the tps sensor harness wasnt plugged in to the point of the harness clipping on, so i got that up all the way, and cleared the codes, and rechecked to make sure they were clear.

about 6 hours later, the CEL lit right back up, and i rechecked, it came up tps, knock sensor and pressure sensor. can anyone give me any advice? the trans still seems to be slightly slipping, like its sending power, but not 100% from any speed under medium and higher throttle, and doesnt shift when it should.

side note, none of my interior lights work, no dash lights and no dome lights or the button activated lights. i checked the fuses, and every last one works, and is the right amps.
I wish I had seen this but I haven't been online since Thursday. I could have stopped on my way through last night to help figure some stuff out even though I was tired as hell and beat. I may be able to come down this weekend. I have to figure out what's all going on here as I just got back from Reading.

The TPS itself could be bad but did you disconnect the battery overnight after the Knock sensors and the TPS check? If not, that is suggestion NO. 1. If the transmission is slipping at all, I would try not to drive it too much until you get things sorted out.

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-21-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM

i pulled it(tps) off a bit ago, and tried to clean it up with some electronic parts cleaner, but havnt had the chance to get it back on. the battery is out now, and has been since yesterday morning, as i was doing the spark plugs. that was a bit of a pain, lol.

heres where i am now, trans leaks like a mofo out of the rear tranny seal, which is my fault because it was slightly out of round, and thugh i thought to replace it, i didnt for some reason. 4 dollar part, getting put on tomorrow.

under little to no load, there is no slipping or anything of the sort. get on it even a little and its ok, till it goes to shift, where it holds and seems to slip. it also feels as if all the power isnt getting to the wheels, im not sure how to explain. im going to clear out the codes again tomorrow before i start it up, and see how it is then.

*side note* electrical issues, read my other thread on the tech q&a!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX

Under lower throttle is it able to shift into all gears or which ones will it actually go into?
When you put more throttle, does it slip in all gears or is it only certain ones?

Basically, if you could outline in detail under what circumstances (current speed/throttle/etc) that it results in slipping that would help a lot.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 PM

any gear, any speed, mash the pedal, and it slips. not alot, it just doesnt quite want to grab. at low to mid/low throttle, its perfect though.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:14 PM

when people report of flairs, what does that mean? im wondering if thats what im getting? im hoping after i change that seal, and get the tps back on, my problems will go away! somehow i doubt it!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:16 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
when people report of flairs, what does that mean? im wondering if thats what im getting? im hoping after i change that seal, and get the tps back on, my problems will go away! somehow i doubt it!
Raul, the flair is in the 2-3 shift where if at any speed or any throttle response, the shift in those gears will "flare up" ie, rev up to much higher than expected rpms and no power will go to anything at all until it will more than likely "kick" or harshly engage into 3rd gear. The other flair that happens will be when it is in 4th gear at crusing and upon significant throttle response (depends on the condition of the brake band and high clutch) will just rev up and put no power down until it is able to finally engage itself in 3rd gear. I would strongly suggest not driving the car for a bit to see if the high clutch can be saved by adjusting the brake band or if it is completely gone and you will be left with only 1st and 2nd gears. I may be able to make it down there on my way (well out of my way a bit) to check on things for you to see what exactly you're dealing with. But honestly, I would seriously stop driving it or if you absolutely need to move it to get to work or whatever else, put it in the "2" position. This will make it so that it will not move above 2nd gear and while gas mileage will suffer, if there is a chance the transmission can be saved, this will prevent any more significant wear.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:13 AM

ok, it wasnt flaring up than, because it goes into all gears, and it doesnt kick at all, its more of a lag. i was easy on the gas the whole time, yet still managed to go from over 3/4 tank to less then 1/4 tank in less then 2 days with barely any driving.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 AM

oh, so with that fuel consumption, im really hoping that the problem is in the tps, idk just yet.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:01 PM

update, read new other trans thread...
Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 AM

ok, so ive gotten the rear housing back on successfully, and refilled the fluid back to full at operating temp. it was still slipping, so i adjusted the brakeband by doing a half turn tight... mistake, i didnt think to hold the adjuster when i tightened the lock nut, so it turned with the lock nut. when i took it for a drive, it was stuck in 3 i believe. then when i let off the gas, it kicked down a gear(or two?) and LOCKED UP ALL 4 TIRES! believe me, that was a scary thing, with my mind jumping to what that was doing to my trans. parked it, and with the help over the phone from Nate, i readjusted 4 turns out from fully tight. its better, but still slips.

so heres where i am now.

car drives and shifts just fine from a stop at light throttle, through all 4 gears.

at medium and higher throttle, it will slip in the first to second and second to third shift.

in third at light throttle, if you give it maybe half or a bit more, it will accelerate, but not hard, then the rpms climb a few hundred rpm at most, and it grabs, and starts to pull. any mroe, and it doesnt seem to get all the power down, but doesnt seem to actually slip and rev up either.

from a dead stop, if you stomp the gas, enough to get power mode, there is a lag, about 2 seconds or just under before the car does anything at all, it just sits there.

cruising in 4th down the hwy at about 45/50mph, it will kick down to 3rd for no reason with no throttle input. i could accelerate and it still wont go into 4th until i forget about it and realize im in 4th again. this is always at low rpms in 4th, between 45 and 50, or maybe 40 and 50. otherwise, there's no problems going into 4th.

TPS did give me a CEL before, but i cleaned it and adjusted it, and the light has stayed off for a few days, and the car idles smoothly now.

when i pull the trans dipstick, the fluid is very very thin. nothing like checking the fluid on any of my previous cars, or helping people at work. you can barely get a reading from the stick, it just looks wet with a red tint. it does read full at the warm side of the dip stick. thats running in neutral after its been warmed up for a while.

thats the best i could describe, and all i could think off. what do you all think? another 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the band? this is all new fresh less than 1 month old fluid, with a fresh trans filter and gasket set. please help!