How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
What a Shame... Hippies!!!

Yes, we heard of a lot of EG33 conversions into planes and vanagons, at least the plane guys were buying the engines and harnesses and doing it. The Vanagon people are destroying our cars, and perfectly good ones also for a sake of a stupid VAN?

I give him credit for the EG33 overhaul, but he destroyed a beautiful california SVX in the process.

DETAILS

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: What a Shame... Hippies!!!

That was a gorgeous pearly.....

@ EG33 beside the Vanagon motor though.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-25-2010, 04:55 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I saw 2 different EG33s. One with a stock intake and one painted black. Unless he had stripped it down.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Is that a PWR radiator in the pearlie? The neck and cap areas look different to me...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Yeah, sad. But CozyKat may end up getting it back on the road.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52988
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I really got into this. Read every page and every post. Followed the sale on here and the other forum.

The thing is, even if I owned one of those vans, Id sooner sell it or part it out than tear apart my svx. Those vans are a joke! Even when kids see them, they laugh! When they see the svx, their jaw drops. There's just no contest.

Ugly horrible things. Ive gotta admit though. That guy has sooome passion for his ugly van.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Well said Freeman, it is like tearing apart a perfectly good and rare Porsche 911 with a broken glass just to transplant its engine into an old bug. Really what are those guys thinking about?

I wish Top Gear people can crash Pianos on these vans instead of the Morris Marinas , I would definitely enjoy it!

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I really got into this. Read every page and every post. Followed the sale on here and the other forum.

The thing is, even if I owned one of those vans, Id sooner sell it or part it out than tear apart my svx. Those vans are a joke! Even when kids see them, they laugh! When they see the svx, their jaw drops. There's just no contest.

Ugly horrible things. Ive gotta admit though. That guy has sooome passion for his ugly van.
They are not a joke. You may think so, but if you looked into them AT ALL... especially the sychro versions, they rock.

I love how you compare an SVX with a VW camper van. If you want to go down to Baja and surf for a few days... an AWD VW van/camper will make the trip fun and enjoyable. I took an SVX into Baja once... drove it many miles on unpaved, unfinished roads... never again.

They are two different beasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Well said Freeman, it is like tearing apart a perfectly good and rare Porsche 911 with a broken glass just to transplant its engine into an old bug. Really what are those guys thinking about?

I wish Top Gear people can crash Pianos on these vans instead of the Morris Marinas , I would definitely enjoy it!
Once our cars are worth what a rare Porsche 911 is worth, then that will be the breaking point. They are thinking the following: "Hey, I can get one of those SVX's for $2000, with a great motor. Why not do a conversion!" It's the same as the Cash for Clunkers deal... if people are willing to part with their SVX's for "X" amount... then really they are the ones to blame.

If I ever had to sell my SVX... I would make sure I approve who it goes to and what their plans are for it.

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 02-25-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 AM

Registered SVX

WOW! Just finished looking through his write up. $9,658.10 and he's not even done yet!! It would seem that the exhaust running in front of the cam covers might cause some problems with the covers or belts.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
They are not a joke. You may think so, but if you looked into them AT ALL... especially the sychro versions, they rock.

I love how you compare an SVX with a VW camper van. If you want to go down to Baja and surf for a few days... an AWD VW van/camper will make the trip fun and enjoyable. I took an SVX into Baja once... drove it many miles on unpaved, unfinished roads... never again.

They are two different beasts.

Once our cars are worth what a rare Porsche 911 is worth, then that will be the breaking point. They are thinking the following: "Hey, I can get one of those SVX's for $2000, with a great motor. Why not do a conversion!" It's the same as the Cash for Clunkers deal... if people are willing to part with their SVX's for "X" amount... then really they are the ones to blame.

If I ever had to sell my SVX... I would make sure I approve who it goes to and what their plans are for it.
Sorry man, but I would not destroy a very nice and rare car in order to modify a camper for +$10,000 to go to Baja. I will not go to Baja in the first place , or I would buy a 90's Yukon for a couple thousands and go there.

And wish he paid $2000 for the SVX. Something like $800 because of it tranny gone bad

Last edited by SilverSpear; 02-25-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I'm not interested in campers or vans. I don't ever plan on offroading my svx or ever going to baja? I don't surf or haul stuff.

The Van is nothing compared to the svx when it comes to looks, obviously. When it comes to power, I can't say since I haven't driven one. Needless to say if I had a choice to keep one or crush one, the choice would be obvious.

The only time those vans "rocked" was in the 70's and they weren't rocking to any music I'd listen to.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..

Last edited by Freeman; 02-25-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 PM

Why aren't they just sticking 2.5l Subaru engines in them, wouldn't that make a lot more sense? When I think of doing an engine swap, I consider parts availability, SVX parts aren't getting any more common. Then again, a lot of VW guys just aren't that bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Yeah, why stick it in a bug when it can go into a Karmann Ghia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7T2lcBh-1o

That was my friend's car, it had a 1965 911 engine in it, didn't come from a good car though. He is a Porsche tech specializing in the old stuff, so he gets all kinds of interesting stuff. He had an 80s 911 with a 358ci NASCAR engine in it, ended up wrecking it when the throttle stuck, so he pulled the mechanicals out of it and stuck it into a bug.

Last edited by Elliott; 02-25-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Why aren't they just sticking 2.5l Subaru engines in them, wouldn't that make a lot more sense? When I think of doing an engine swap, I consider parts availability, SVX parts aren't getting any more common. Then again, a lot of VW guys just aren't that bright.
Because they can get a 230hp 3.3 ltr flat 6 for $800... and it comes with a free car! Can you blame them!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Because they can get a 230hp 3.3 ltr flat 6 for $800... and it comes with a free car! Can you blame them!
Way too short sighted, what happens when you are on the road and lose an alternator? Think the closest Autozone is going to have one for an SVX? Bet they have a few on the shelf for a Legacy or Impreza. Besides, does a loaf of bread really need 230hp?

I'll admit I don't always follow my own advice. If I did I would be sticking a 350 Chevy into my 1959 Rambler, but I am using a 1996 Land Rover engine instead because it is cooler. I am going to be using a lot more common parts on it though since the EFI is going to be custom and so are the front accessories. Most likely going to be a lot of Ford and GM parts.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I wish my Pearly had doors so clean. I'd'a liked to have snagged the car sans mill for a resto project.