Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-21-2009, 11:47 PM

Auto Transmission Newbie Question

OK, so I am not only a newbie to the SVX, I am also a newbie to automatic transmissions.

I have not owned a vehicle with an automatic since I was in high school (with my 1965 Plymouth Valiant station wagon )
I had sworn not to ever buy a slush-box, but I fell for this beautiful SVX and looked passed that.
Now I find that I am enjoying the relaxed drive and the disconnection. It is very nice in creeping traffic. I bet most rear-enders are performed by people driving auto. It is so easy to not pay attention.

The fist thing I did was replace the external filter, but I failed to pre-fill the new filter with fluid. Will this cause an air pocket in the system and do damage? If so, how do I bleed the air from the system?

What is the shift from 2-3 supposed to feel like?
When I got the car, there was a time lag of about 2 seconds between what felt like 2 shifts (but only a single gear was changed) , and the engine felt as if it was straining against some resistance.
I did some reading up on the transmission and came across the brake belt adjustment procedure, so I completed the adjustment on my transmission. After the adjustment, the time lag shortened to about ¾ of a second between what feels like 2 shifts.
Once the car is fully warmed up, the shifts feel almost as one (sometimes).

The transmission shifts solid 1-2 and 3-4.
I read about a transfer from one “drum” to another when the transmission shifts from 2-3.
Is this what I am feeling? Is the timing off on some solenoids? Can I adjust them?

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Auto Transmission Newbie Question

Usually if the 2-3 shift is "soft" as you are describing, in most cases even with the adjustment it is too late

I adjusted mine as soon as I got it home and it failed about 2 months after on only my 2nd run on the highway. Previous to that, it also had about a 2 second delay. As for your fear of an air pocket, it is nonsense, that is not going to be an issue as the transmission actually has "vents" on it to release any gases-air or water vapor or whatever may enter the system.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:38 PM

Re: Auto Transmission Newbie Question

Thank you, even if it may not be the best news.