Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered Loser

distinguishing between starter motor or ign switch

Hey everyone.

I've read all the click click click start issues (this may be different) but still can't determine the source of my problem.

My particular problem is when I start the car, I turn the key, I get a click and instantly following click the starter motor turns over, starting the car.

There's NO turning of the key a couple of times because it keeps clicking and not starting. Mine is a combo of click and start straight away in one turn of the key.

Sometimes while the starter motor is turning over I also hear a click.

I've installed a remote start ages ago, this bypasses the ignition key switch. When I remote start my car I still get the click followed by instant start (exactly the same as mentioned above.

To me this would indicate a bad starter motor but just wanted to get someones second opinion.

Thanks, Jordan.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 PM

Re: distinguishing between starter motor or ign switch

I've had a similar problem with my Legacy twice. The first time it would click and eventually start. The second time I would only get one click and no start (cold morning brought the resistivity up too much for my dirty contacts).

The solution for the first was to clean the starter solenoid contacts and this second time I just bought a kit off ebay for around $25 that replaces the solenoid, contacts, and rubber seals.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSVX View Post
Hey everyone.

I've read all the click click click start issues (this may be different) but still can't determine the source of my problem.

My particular problem is when I start the car, I turn the key, I get a click and instantly following click the starter motor turns over, starting the car.

There's NO turning of the key a couple of times because it keeps clicking and not starting. Mine is a combo of click and start straight away in one turn of the key.

Sometimes while the starter motor is turning over I also hear a click.

I've installed a remote start ages ago, this bypasses the ignition key switch. When I remote start my car I still get the click followed by instant start (exactly the same as mentioned above.

To me this would indicate a bad starter motor but just wanted to get someones second opinion.

Thanks, Jordan.
What is the problem if the car starts properly?

The click you hear after turning the key or using the remote, will surely be the solenoid engaging, as it closes contacts to energise the starter.

"Sometimes while the starter motor is turning over I also hear a click."

Is this the problem you have, if so please elaborate.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Registered Loser

Ok cool, that sounds like it, I'm gonna look into this during the week.

About a year ago I used to get a couple of click and no starts so I'd have to try a couple of times. Now it's just senstive in the morning, it clicks and then starts in one action.

"Sometimes while the starter motor is turning over I also hear a click."

Is this the problem you have, if so please elaborate.

Do you consider this as a separate issue because I don't know how to elaborate on this. While the starter motor is already in action and turning over it sometimes makes the same click after the starter motor has started turning BUT before the engine starts. It's like midway.

The remote start system doesn't hold the ignition relay long enough to start the car and the car doesn't start because the click took some time away from remote starting the car.

I only use the remote start system on a hot/cold day so when I get back to the running car it will be already hot/cold inside.