SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: HELP! 430 miles from home...

Well charged battery to 100%.... it was at 90% yesterday when i tried after installing the coolant temp sensor. It just kind of labors harder to crank... im going down right now to yank the side covers and see where the timings at.... the crankshaft pulley should have a timing mark for TDC right?? That way I dont have to pull the center cover to check?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Checked timing, its dead on..... now as far as the cam angle sensor goes... can I check the harness for voltage before I switch it out? What voltage is supposed to be going to it? Im going to call around for one here in reno but ill probably have to order it. Also the car again tried to start for the first second or two first thing today, then just cranks.

Edit: !!!! $140 from autozone is the cheapest cam angle sensor, 2 days out!!! Is there any test I can do on this before i drop 140 non-refundable dollars on this thing? Im already poor! Or possibly is the sensor on the SVX the same as any other model subaru I might find at Pick-n-pull?

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 03-04-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Update: Pulled the Camshaft sensor off and hooked up to multimeter for Ohms check. The sensor reads zero ohms until i move a ratchet past the magnet tip, where the resistance jumps for a second and returns to zero. This means it is working correctly right?

Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Not sure this could help but I would check all the fuses... remove one at a time and make sure the connections are good and you have continuity with your ohm tester... Not just a visual check.

Still praying for you! We pray for our SVX every day!

Keith
Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Thanks again Keith that means a lot Update again:

Checked voltage between terminals on Cam sensor harness (key on)..... it read .002 volts Is this the correct voltage applied to the sensor for it to read the cam signal? If this voltage is too low.... what could be the reason?

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 03-04-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Not sure this could help but I would check all the fuses... remove one at a time and make sure the connections are good and you have continuity with your ohm tester... Not just a visual check.

Still praying for you! We pray for our SVX every day!

Keith

I will check my cam sensor and see what it is.
The fuses under the instrument panel not under the hood.
Keith
Old 03-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Ok thanks Keith... it might be a PITA since its up against the battery though.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Chris there is no voltage to the cam sensor. It is a magnetic pick-up, generates voltage when the cam moves past it, like the spanner you tried. I would think that one is ok.
You could try to read if there is a small AC voltage pulse coming from the crank sensors when it is turning over, if they get a lot of metal filings on the end of them it will reduce the output.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Chris there is no voltage to the cam sensor. It is a magnetic pick-up, generates voltage when the cam moves past it, like the spanner you tried. I would think that one is ok.
You could try to read if there is a small AC voltage pulse coming from the crank sensors when it is turning over, if they get a lot of metal filings on the end of them it will reduce the output.

Harvey.
K thanks Harvey... ill try that too.

I pulled off the fuel filter outlet hose and when the cars on, the fuel flows out at a liesurely pace, similar to tap water. Is this normal or should it squir with some good pressure? Also I noticed after trying to start the car that fuel drips from the exhaust on the drivers side only... the pass side stays dry. Might this be just a hole on the drivers side pipe... or does it mean I have no fuel to the pass side injectors? Im exhausting every possibility before I take it in or bug someone to help me

Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
K thanks Harvey... ill try that too.

I pulled off the fuel filter outlet hose and when the cars on, the fuel flows out at a liesurely pace, similar to tap water. Is this normal or should it squir with some good pressure? Also I noticed after trying to start the car that fuel drips from the exhaust on the drivers side only... the pass side stays dry. Might this be just a hole on the drivers side pipe... or does it mean I have no fuel to the pass side injectors? Im exhausting every possibility before I take it in or bug someone to help me
The pump only runs for a few seconds when you turn the key on to build pressure, then stops till the ECU gets the signals from the crank/cam sensors.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Ok thanks.... I guess the next step will be yank the alternator and then the crank sensors and make sure they do what the cam sensor did, detect metal passing in front with a resistance drop Its worth a shot... after this its the dealership aka "Bend over and spread em". Sperry offered to help out but I think hes got a meet tomorrow.... my cats back home have got to be wondering where the bleep their feeder is

Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks Keith! Well i put the battery in, the codes had cleared on their own while the battery was in here, still wont start. The starter seems like it is laboring to start the car, so I have determined that a pulley may have frozen somewhere along the timing belt. I hope its not my new waterpump!! The back of the belt appears to have some light friction marks, and the wierd thing is that when the waterpump seized before... the car would still start up, but just make screeching noises and smoke from the timing belt....

So perhaps one of the smooth idlers can cause more drag when it seizes...or one of the gear idlers?? The timing belt is turning I have verified that, and I noticed gasoline dripping from the exhaust pipe under the car... meaning its getting fuel injected into the cylinders. Im stumped, I just hope to not have to yank apart the timing stuff again since im all the way out here and dont have a garage or all my tools The repeated cranking of the engine did not throw any codes so far.

Once again the car just stalled initially going around a left turn, and in the morning when I first try cranking, it starts for a half second roughly then dies... and wont turn over at all until the next day. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
1. gas dripping from the exhaust pipe means your combustion chamber is flooded with gas. take out all plugs let it set for few hours or blow them with air-duster.
2. check all fuses, check with test light. sometime the fuse broke near the center but still looks good.
3. disarm your alarm if any.
4. any loose wires near your pulleys/belts? hard turn then stalled might be the wire got grind and you have electrical short somewhere (happened to me).

Hope this help
good luck
Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Yeah the fuel is ok, the timing belt is ok and everything is timed right, the coolant temp sensor was replaced.... looks like the cam position sensor is doing what its supposed to (reacts to metal passing in front of sensor tip), im just stumped... im going to test the two crank sensors tomorrow then its off to lithia subaru for their $109 diag... then ill fix it myself.

Update again...... For some reason it flashed a code 12 (starter switch), then when i came up to check what a 12 was and went back down... the code was gone. It flashed this code on ONE test, then 1 minutes passes and its gone by itself . Starter switch is probably bogus since it wouldnt even crank with a bad starter switch im assuming....

SORRY to ask so many questions guys.... im just really broke and im trying my hardest to save my last remaining money by finding this problem without paying $95 an hour for someone else to do it (

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 03-04-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 PM

As long as the motor turns over great when you try to start your car, a bad starter switch can be tolerated!

Hang in there!

Keith
Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Ok thanks.... I guess the next step will be yank the alternator and then the crank sensors and make sure they do what the cam sensor did, detect metal passing in front with a resistance drop Its worth a shot... after this its the dealership aka "Bend over and spread em". Sperry offered to help out but I think hes got a meet tomorrow.... my cats back home have got to be wondering where the bleep their feeder is
Thursday is my 3 year anniversary w/ the GF so I'll be busy. But I should be free Friday and this weekend to help you get that thing running if you're still stuck here.

I've got that maf, and I've got a spare alternator if you want to try those.