Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 PM

Re: RADAR in California

<<Gee, you don't even know that they are equipped to detect your radar detecting equipment Wow!>>

if the state doesnt have a law forbidding radar detectors there is no reason why a department would purchase radar detector detector equipment. its far to expensive and theres no reason to have it.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM
The Molinator

My lawyer said something similar about them having to have some averages..??? I thought that sounded wacky too..? Also, the citation speed cannot be higher than about 2/3 of the average speed determined by a formal real auto speed survey in that area. I'll keep you posted.

Hmmmm!? Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
My lawyer said something similar about them having to have some averages..???
Wacky? It's for the sake of accuracy and fairness.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:10 PM
The Molinator

WELL!.. . . The cop certainly did not have time to get 2 or 3 readings to average! I was passing directly in front of him, while he was stopped first in line to cross perpendicular to my street! He fumbled for the radar gun, appeared not to get it completely aimed by the time I was almost directly in front of him, then returned it to its "holster" quickly... and then proceeded to turn right and pull me over.

We'll see.. .

Thanks, Jim

P.S. It's my fault.. . I didn't flash my "badge" when he first stopped me!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 01-23-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:19 PM
The Molinator

.. . .
Quote:
accuracy and fairness
.. . . ???
Evidently, you haven't been to court! Ha!

ThAnKs.. . Jim
Old 01-23-2009, 06:27 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxpert View Post
<<Gee, you don't even know that they are equipped to detect your radar detecting equipment Wow!>>

if the state doesnt have a law forbidding radar detectors there is no reason why a department would purchase radar detector detector equipment. its far to expensive and theres no reason to have it.
It's my understanding...and has been for years now...that all quality radar detectors have VG2 technology which blocks the ability of law enforcement to detect the detector. And, it's supposedly legal!? Radar detectors are legal in CA.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I'm not a cop, but this is patently ridiculous statement, as is the notion that "most cops are crooked."

Reality check: If you really feel the need to "protect" yourself with detection equipment from traffic police, you probably need to take a good, hard look at how you drive.

dcb
I drive fast .. many FWY and lightly traveled country roads .. and have no accidents during 46 years of driving. I live in Fresno now which is much milder (more sane), but in L.A., for example, if you're not driving fast .. you'll be passed by 5 cars a minute .. which is a much more dangerous scenario than speeding a little!

Fast & Furious Jim (75)

P.S. The biggest reason for me to slow down is my 16 year-old son. I certainly don't want him to speed..especially with that undeveloped teenage brain!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:

P.S. The biggest reason for me to slow down is my 16 year-old son. I certainly don't want him to speed..especially with that undeveloped teenage brain!
Sorry to be the one to break it to you Jim, but for the teenagers today... that particular teenage brain is probably all that any of the kids today will end up with.

So sorry...

Keith
Old 01-26-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I live in Fresno now which is much milder (more sane), but in L.A., for example, if you're not driving fast .. you'll be passed by 5 cars a minute .. which is a much more dangerous scenario than speeding a little!
Atlanta interstates are the same: In off-peak hours (those few precious minutes of the day when the road's not mired in total gridlock)) everybody's doing 75+ and if you can't read the odometer of the car in front of you, you're too far back. My guess is this is pretty much the norm for the entire country, urban highways in particular. And I agree that trying to maintain the legal limit in such a scenario does more harm than good.

Nonetheless, it seems likely that most folks who get nabbed for speeding are generally traveling well above the prevailing traffic speed or doing something else to attract attention, and this is nothing new.

dcb
Old 01-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

The fun part is when people get caught speeding and then when everybody else on the road sees that ONE police car with the bright scary lights, they all slooooooow down to almost a complete stop...

Please note I've only seen this ridiculous behavior in other states, such as Tennessee, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and pretty much everywhere else..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
The fun part is when people get caught speeding and then when everybody else on the road sees that ONE police car with the bright scary lights, they all slooooooow down to almost a complete stop...

Please note I've only seen this ridiculous behavior in other states, such as Tennessee, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and pretty much everywhere else..
In Washington state, the dumbest state of all the "53", (Obama thinks there are 53), people are so slow at thinking that they go past the flashing lights and then hit their brakes!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
most folks who get nabbed for speeding are generally traveling well above the prevailing traffic speed or doing something else to attract attention, and this is nothing new.

dcb
How I wish this were the case!

Less than 2 weeks ago, a friend of mine got pulled over (and ticketed!) for doing 50 in a 45. He was in the middle of a pack of traffic on a one-lane each direction road.

He drives a convertible, so the cop (I have no doubt!) saw he was a kid (well, he's 22, but close enough) and decided to go after HIM. Needless to say, he's taking it to court at my advice.

I can't count the amount of times I've been pulled over for ridiculous things. Luckily all the officers were smart enough not to waste my time with trying to ticket me for no good reason.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap