SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Rear Defogger not too good

Been rainy today and the car's windows fogged up pretty good. The rear defogger comes on but barely works. After about a half hour of driving all it managed to do was make a some lines in the fog where the filaments were. Is there anything I might be able to do to improve it? Not a big deal but I thought I would ask.

Also I seem to have a bulb out in the dash, it is the one that backlights the text on the button for the Rear Defogger and hazzard buttons. How would I go about changing that one?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 12-19-2008, 08:12 PM

Re: Rear Defogger not too good

make sure your air conditioner is charged and working properly
Keith
Old 12-19-2008, 08:22 PM

Registered SVX

He's not refering to the AC the electric one should be able to handle that since mine melts ice in about 10 minutes
Old 12-19-2008, 09:15 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Also I seem to have a bulb out in the dash, it is the one that backlights the text on the button for the Rear Defogger and hazzard buttons. How would I go about changing that one?
You pretty much have to pry out that group of switches and pull out the bulbs (you kind of unscrew them) and replace them. It can be a tedious task, but I did it with all those types of bulbs on my car. I can show you if you can't figure it out yourself.

The bulbs are somewhere on this site...radioshack 279-**** 12v bulbs. The problem is you kind of need the little green caps if you can't get them off your old bulbs. I don't have anymore so you may have to get somebody to mail you some.

BTW, those are two separate bulbs. Both of the same type.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Been rainy today and the car's windows fogged up pretty good. The rear defogger comes on but barely works.
He did say windows... plural... Indicates there is extra moisture in the car that would not be there if the air conditioner is working correctly. The air conditioner compressor cycles on the heat cycle to remove moisture from the inside of the car.
If the rear defogger comes on at all it chances are it is doing as good as it can under the circumstances. They don't exactly get weak.

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 12-19-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
You pretty much have to pry out that group of switches and pull out the bulbs (you kind of unscrew them) and replace them. It can be a tedious task, but I did it with all those types of bulbs on my car. I can show you if you can't figure it out yourself.

The bulbs are somewhere on this site...radioshack 279-**** 12v bulbs. The problem is you kind of need the little green caps if you can't get them off your old bulbs. I don't have anymore so you may have to get somebody to mail you some.

I have tons of green, and some blue,yellow caps if anyone needs them as the old ones tend to tear when replacing the bulbs.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 PM

Registered SVX

speakng of rear defrost, is the switch set for rear defrost auto turn off after say like 5 or 10 minutes? the only time i drove the car and needed it, it turned off before the frost cleared off, so i had to turn it back on.....on my legacy's the switch always stays on unless i want to turn it off. we get lots of frost and ice here....
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 12-19-2008, 10:33 PM

Registered SVX

Yes it shuts off
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 12-19-2008, 10:40 PM

Registered SVX

is there a way to defeat this unwanted shutoff feature, or at least allow it to stay on longer....like when i want to warm the car up in the morning and let it melt off an inch of ice?
5 or 10 minutes whatever is not nearly long enough to take the ice or frost off. stupid feature to shut it off. I am putting in a legacy switch if no one can recommend a way to defeat the dang auto off. I know when to turn it off, when the window is clear. yeah i am sure engineers designed it to prevent burning out the wires....but this suks and considering i am smart enough to turn it off and on, duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Yes it shuts off
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K

Last edited by bheinen74; 12-19-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
He did say windows... plural... Indicates there is extra moisture in the car that would not be there if the air conditioner is working correctly. The air conditioner compressor cycles on the heat cycle to remove moisture from the inside of the car.
If the rear defogger comes on at all it chances are it is doing as good as it can under the circumstances. They don't exactly get weak.

Keith
Yesterday every window was fogged, but the defroster on medium took care of the front windows. I was thinking the rear was not getting the proper voltage and was just barely coming on. How would I check that the AC is working in winter?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post

When I press the buttons the light green indicator lights come on, it is just the backlighting of them for night driving that is out. Do you have to take the switches out for that bulb?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:38 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
When I press the buttons the light green indicator lights come on, it is just the backlighting of them for night driving that is out. Do you have to take the switches out for that bulb?
Yeah, you gotta pull the switches anyways. They're quite easy to remove via just a bit of prying with a knife.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yesterday every window was fogged, but the defroster on medium took care of the front windows. I was thinking the rear was not getting the proper voltage and was just barely coming on. How would I check that the AC is working in winter?
I actually noticed all my windows fogging recently the last week or so and was suprised to see that both my front and rear driverside carpet was soaked with water. I pulled the carpet back and found about an inch or so of water on the floor that was causing the fogging. Long story short the sunroof drain managed to point itself towards the floor pan and soaked the crap out of it. Just something you might want to check.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 12-21-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
good question.

If you turn on the defroster and open the hood, you should notice the compressor cycling some. Also might put a gauge on it to be sure the refrigerant is ok. If the refrigerant is lo, it could still engage the clutch on the compressor but disengage quickly because of the "built in" safety that keeps it from running long enough to suck air in the sealed system if you have a leak.

redlightningsvx made a good point with moisture getting into the car from an outside source that could cause extra moisture on the windows. Even a small heater core leak that could only slowly seep out moisture?

My bet is the air conditioner not functioning properly!

Good luck...
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 12-21-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:08 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

My rear defroster is pretty weak, while my work car melts ice in 2 minutes. I think it could be a wiring lead may be corroded to there is much more resistance. I have yet to trace it back due to lack of time and the fact that I dont drive the svx much as it is. It may be worth checking into if you have the FSM.
2012 Camry V6 SE