Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 AM

in process of engine rebuild

I bought a claret a few month ago w/a hole in the shortblock. Car had over 200k on it and it looks like it leaked oil like crazy. Underside of the car had about a quarter inch of oil caked on.

Tore the engine apart this weekend and the connecting rod on the number 6 piston was busted. Will post pics later this week.

So i have lined up a shortblock for it. I was originally planning to just replace the shortblock and headgaskets and call it done. But after reading a bit on the network, I am thinking a complete rebuild might be in order.

Here are some questions.
1) I found a timing belt kit from E-bay for 189.99. This includes pulleys and gears. Do I need them? I don't know the maintenance history of the vehicle.
I know that the EG33 is basically a EJ22 motor on steroids so would the idle pulleys and gears work form the EJ kit? Also might the timing belt also be the same length? If I get a timing belt kit for an EJ22, it's going to be 111.16. and the timing belt is as cheap as 12.00.

2) Complete gasket kit is $316.95 from 1stsubaruparts.com. Once again, would parts from the EJ22 kit work as well. I do plan to get cometic gaskets for the rebuild. So the EJ sealing kit is like $50.00 and gaskets are 131.18.

3) Do I need new head bolts? Mine are from a car w/200k on the ticker.

4) Where can I get engine bearings and rings from?

Thanks for the input

BW
Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: in process of engine rebuild

1. The timing belt kit on Ebay is very good, try to get the one with the water pump and instal that too. I used it on my car. Not knowing the maintenance history of the engine I'd say it's on the safe side to put a new one on. The engine is non-interferance, so if you broke the old one there'd be no permanent damage, but it would be very inconvenient. While the EG33 is based on the EJ22, there are a lot of differences, including the heads, so I wouldn't bet on the EJ's belt working.

2. I'm betting a lot of the small seals are not transferable from the EJ22 to the EG33. I used the gasket kit from subaruparts.com, $240.

3. I don't know what the majority thinks on this, but I'm from the school of thought that head bolts should always be replaced. Reason being is that they stretch when torqued down properly, and if they're removed, allowed to relax, and then re-stretched a lot of the strength goes out of them.

4. As for the rings and bearings...subaruparts.com has them, I don't know about aftermarket availabilty though. Bearings are $225, available in 4 different clearances, rings are $270, in 3 sizes, and connecting rod bearings are $260 in a bunch of sizes.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl